Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2018 19:00

S2716DG, XPS 8700, KVM, PSM issues

I've about reached my patience limit.

Setup: S2716DG connected to a KVM via an HDMI to DVI cable.

Computer Dell XPS 8700
Windows 7 Home Premium
Zotac 720 1 GB Memory

Every time I go to watch a full screen video (Sling, Netflix), the screen goes into power saving mode even though I have the power saving mode disabled. What's worse is that the normal play with the menu  trick will not work. Even worse, after exiting the full screen video, the monitor will randomly go into power saving mode. I've had the monitor go into power saving mode 5 times as I type this. Then sometimes the monitor will operate for days properly. Afterwards, accessing any of the listed video sources will start the process all over again. Sometimes moving the mouse will wake up the screen. Other times using the KVM switch to change to a different system and back again wakes up the screen. Sometimes switching to another computer via the KVM and typing will wake up the screen. Sometimes nothing works, and I have to power down the monitor and unplug it from the KVM. And when I do that, sometimes the monitor doesn't send the correct information to the computer, and the computer thinks it is connected to a low resolution generic monitor. This is ridiculous. Again, I have the power saving mode disabled and I still get this.

I have no idea what to try at this point.

September 30th, 2018 18:00

I apologize for the lateness of my reply.

It appears to have something to do with HDCP capability. The old KVM switch was not HDCP compliant. This means that while normal video worked well, once HDCP was triggered, the video became unstable until the monitor was disconnected, and both the switch and the monitor were power cycled.

I have a new KVM which is HDMI throughout, and the specifications state that it is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant.

So far, I have not experienced any issues.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 21st, 2018 05:00

I would start troubleshooting by removing the KVM and testing the S2716DG directly to the XPS 8700 and ZOTAC GeForce GT 720.

* Turn the S2716DG off
* Disconnect all video cables from the S2716DG
* Turn the XPS 8700 off
* Remove the KVM completely. The USB mouse and USB keyboard should be connected directly to the XPS 8700 #5 black rear USB ports. The S2716DG USB 3.0 upstream cable should be connected to the XPS 8700 #6 rear blue USB 3.0 port (see picture below)
XPS8700Rear.jpg

* Connect like this =

XPS 8700 ZOTAC GeForce GT 720 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> S2716DG HDMI in port

* Turn the S2716DG on
* Turn the XPS 8700 on
* Retest and post the results

No Events found!