Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

February 26th, 2018 10:00

S2718D, Mac Mini 2012, how to pair?

Hello everyone, 

I have a Mac Mini and I have ordered and will soon have the S2718D. I am thinking of connecting the monitor from the Mac Mini DP to the HDMI in of the monitor to obtain maximum resolution. My question is, would it be possible to take advantage of the monitors USB ports somehow? Or do the USB ports work strictly with USB-C? My initial thought was that maybe I could use a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter but I am not sure if this will work for both the picture and the data. What do you think? What about a simple USB3 to USB-C adapter? Will just the data pass through or is this impossible?

thanks a lot,
Philip

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 26th, 2018 11:00

First, know that the S2718D was never validated by Dell with the proprietary Apple hardware, operating system (including Windows Bootcamp), cabling, and drivers. The S2718D drivers page only list Windows 7/8/10.

In theory, connecting like this could give you video (if the Apple operating system supports it) on the S2718D and access to the S2718D USB downstream ports =

Mac Mini USB Type C out port --> S2718D USB Type C to USB Type C cable --> S2718D USB Type C in port

Connecting in this way does not give you access to the S2718D USB downstream ports =

Mac Mini DP out port --> DP to HDMI converter cable --> S2718D HDMI in port

February 27th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your answer,

Do you mean that a high class Dell monitor of such a high price will not work with mac? or with any other operating systems? other than windows ... thats a shame because not all of us use windows, and Dell has really nice monitors.. anyway i am confident hat it will work with hdmi so i will let you know for future reference.

For using the usb port on the monitor i didn't understand the part which you say "mac mini usb type c out port", mac mini only has usb3 ports and thunderbolt.. can you please clarify?

thanks,

Philip

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 27th, 2018 11:00

Do you mean that a high class Dell monitor of such a high price will not work with mac? or with any other operating systems? other than windows?
* I did not state that it would not work. I stated that we only tested it with Windows. You would have to ask Apple users if they have used the S2718D.

For using the usb port on the monitor i didn't understand the part which you say "mac mini usb type c out port", mac mini only has usb3 ports and thunderbolt. can you please clarify?
* Sorry, did not realize that the Mac Mini 2012 had the older Thunderbolt 2 port. That complicates matters.

Mac Mini 2012 Thunderbolt 2 out port --> Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 2 cable --> Thunderbolt 2 to USB Type C converter cable (its bidirectional) --> S2718D USB Type C in port

No Events found!