Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2010 05:00

Support 2408WFP without servicetag or ordernumber

Hello,

I was a proud owner of a Dell 2408WFP until the last week a stripe shows on the display at a cold start for several minutes. The same as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KaDV_NGc14

The problem with guarantee is that the monitor is purchased by a company which has closed the firm and i have bought the monitor. However I only have a product number on the monitor without servicetag or order number. If I gave this number to the support department in the Netherlands they cannot help me because there is no Dutch order number coupled to it. I was wondering how to get support on my monitor and how long the guarantee is?

5 Posts

January 4th, 2010 06:00

Why do so impossible? It is so hard to trace on based of product numbers? And I don't know where the monitor is bought because it is bought by a multinational...

It is quite strange because it is produced in March '08 in Czech Republic, standard warranty is three years. So it should be in warranty only the administration of Dell is somehow not perfect to trace product numbers :emotion-6:.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2010 06:00

You cannot get warranty support on this monitor without the Dell order number. The 3 year warranty is tied to the order number.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2010 07:00

It is so hard to trace on based of product numbers?
* Yes, it is impossible to trace off of the monitor PPID number.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2010 10:00

So there is totally no alternative even the monitor is produced in March 2008?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2010 13:00

Correct.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2010 12:00

Hello!

I don't have any issues with my monitor, but that's botherring me, too -- monitor is without service tag. I don't have any additional papers besides receipt. However, I do have original box with sticker on the box that reads: work order, box # of #, customer p.o., part no., date shipped and # of systems.

Can that be used for warranty (if needed)?

Thanks,
b.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2010 14:00

Thats probably OK for customers ordering directly from Dell.

I am from Slovenia and there is no Dell store, products are sold by (AFAIK) authorized (re)sellers. So, in my case I am not Dell customer as I bought particular monitor from Slovenian company named "Asbis". Unless "customer number" is same as "customer p.o." on box, I dont have any other info (receipt is between me and Asbis, Dell not mentioned).

After reading this forum I really doubt that by your terms I certify for "owner". Without required info I can't check anything, I am completely dependant on good will of Asbis ppl, they provide *my* customer number or not.

Thanks for info, its a start for digging ... And GL to other owners, who are in same situation.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 18th, 2010 14:00

We can look for the order number using the customer number.

5 Posts

January 18th, 2010 15:00

It's strange for a manufacture as Dell which is known for it's process (just-in-time). That they cannot trace a monitor to it's production date and show me the warranty, just some service. Besides it it's a known failure with Dell monitor 2408, like the Dell XPS M1330 with the Nvidia GPU.

It's the same with my story of the XPS M1330 with Nvidia GPU. I bought it second hand in the Netherlands when I was in Finland the GPU failed, known problem. The Dutch service cannot help me because I didn't know the correct owners name, they didn't even wanted to tell me how to help me. I phoned next day Dell Finland and next day they were repairing my laptop, they didn't ask. But this is off topic, i know.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 18th, 2010 17:00

When a monitor is manufactured, they put the PPID number on it so we know the build date and the build location. That stock of monitors is then shipped in bulk to our processing center. At anytime there might be 4 or 5 monitor stocks all mixed up. When a customer orders a monitor, the Order number is created and tied to the purchaser. A monitor is then pulled from the processing center and shipped. We don't care which one, just that it matches the model you purchased. So you can see that what ties you to a monitor is the Order number, not the PPID.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

Can you trace on a company in a certain country. I think because the monitor is purchased from the USA and delivered in the EU because there is no trace within the Netherlands about the company.

No Events found!