vgosselin
1 Nickel

Re: U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Also worth mentioning that in some countries, Dell charges administration fees for returns.

In Canada : 15% administration fees + shipping fees. For a 700$ CAD monitor, that's about 150$+. That left a sour taste on my side.

0 Kudos
panzaman
1 Nickel

Also worth mentioning that in some countries, Dell charges administration fees for returns.

In Canada : 15% administration fees + shipping fees. For a 700$ CAD monitor, that's about 150. That left a sour taste on my side.

...and in Europe, this monitor,  is priced as much as an EIZO or NEC costs in the US.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
krej
1 Copper

I just registered to be able to share my story.

1. Ordered and received a U2410. Happy. 

2. Unpacked, connected it and powered it up. Within five seconds I realized "Hey, there's something wrong here...." . Heavy blue/green tint in lower left part of the screen. 

3. Started to google around, realized I was part of a (another) Dell Lottery,  and was disappointed that I didn't go for the NEC LCD2940WUXi instead.

Here's a photo of my screen.  It's the same image tiled across the screen. Notice how much less healty this woman looks in the lower left corner! Absolutely unusable for photographic work.

4. I called Dell to ask for a refund. Dell refuses to do that as the screen was bought by a company. 

5. I called Dell support. They said that they had never heard of a tint problem with the U2410. We agreed that I would send over some photos (including the photo on the link above) and that Dell would call back to me after analysis. 

6. I called Dell support a few days later, they said "The person responsible for your case is not in, we'll call back".

7. I called Dell support  a week later, they said "Oh, there's no problem with your screen", something I just refused to accept. After a looooong phone call, Dell support agreed to send my case over to the "technical escalation team" (not sure about the title). 

8. Nothing happened. I called Dell support two weeks later: "Yes... I can see that we've decided to replace your screen, but I don't know when the replacement will arrive."  Thank you Dell for not sharing progress with me. 

9. Another week later: Finally a phone call from Dell, where we agreed on date for replacement! 

10. Replacement time. At last. The new monitor is much better, but not perfect. Using the portrait above or an all grey image, I can still see some tint, but when doing real work I can't see it. Good enough. After going through calibration (it really did need calibration) I finally have a monitor with "...astounding color accuracy, precision and performance..." and ".. Vibrant, Accurate Color.." as the sales talk goes. 

Dithering... yes there's dithering in sRGB or aRGB, but since I usually use standard mode, it's not a big problem for me. And I don't dare going through another replacement, just in case the next monitor would be worse. 

To sum it up, if you're lucky in the lottery, it a great monitor! 

0 Kudos
hmGV
1 Nickel

Krej,

Where did you get that image? I'd like to test it on my screen.

0 Kudos
krej
1 Copper

Sorry, I can't remember from where I got it. If you've got a greenish tint, a portrait like this is rather sensitive to that tint. I'm sure you can find a suitable image on the net. 

0 Kudos
panzaman
1 Nickel

I have supplied all the info about this and other threads on the tinting issue to Mark of GIZMODO.COM, today this thread got mentioned on GIZMODO, within a report on the APPLE 27" Yellow screen issue.

http://gizmodo.com/5463415/the-faulty-imac-saga-chapter-4-apple-buying-out-customers

0 Kudos
cpmavrick
1 Nickel

Well I am a new user of this forum and a professional photographer and a Photoshop CS4 user and was looking around for a 24" Dell monitor as a 2nd monitor to support my 24" Eizo CG243W which is fantastic but at a premium cost. And from what I read here, I'm glad I stopped in. Based on what I read and having tried a friends new 12/2009 U2410 Dell the tint issues are there. I do not see the same issues on my Eizo or our labs NEC 2490WUXi.  We calibrate our monitors and printers with the X-Rite Colour Munki

I really like Dell desktops but this issue with Dell's 24" LCD will drive Photoshop users away towards another product and I can assure you photoshop and photo editing users know it already as it's on a lot of photo forums.

0 Kudos
panzaman
1 Nickel

9 to 5 mac is now also talking about the DELL tinting issue:

http://www.9to5mac.com/imac_27_problem_child_567890

also they are publishing the info within the 27" mac yellow issue, as it wasn't enough:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=u2410+green+to+pink&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

0 Kudos
Jade7878
1 Copper

Hello from Poland,

Two brand new U2410 and both faulty - green tint issue which Color Settings or profiles don't fix it at all.

"Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint." 

It's a joke right ? This "premium" panel is worse than cheapeset TN panel, even family photos look UGLY.One big disappointment.My first Dell product and probably the last, do you ever test your hardware ? Even monitor profile from CD is faulty.

Anyway damage is being done to Dell reputation.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=33639096

0 Kudos
martidi
2 Iron

Sorry for you Jade7878,

What is the revision number of your panels A00 or A01 ?

Thank you

Martidi aka Brhume

0 Kudos