Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

May 18th, 2011 20:00

I can understand, for sure. I was in the same place myself ~6 months ago, as I said.

As for why they won't step in and make a statement, my guess is that they simply don't have the testing procedure in place to ensure they don't get too many returns, and can't justify the cost of the testing or the returns, both of which cost money. They likely can't pass the buck to the panel manufacturer -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a contract for the dead pixel policy that allows them to do so, but weren't aware of the tinting issue ahead of time and didn't get that contracted, so now Dell themselves would have to bear that cost.

$600 isn't close to professional monitor pricing -- it's an expensive consumer monitor, but a consumer monitor nonetheless. Pro monitors of this size can easily run into the multiple thousands of dollars.

You get what you pay for. At $600, I've found it to be quite a lot..

May 19th, 2011 01:00

I sent back two of these 18 months ago.  The difference between the two sides of the screens was far greater than any changes that could be made to the centre as a result of calibration with a colorimeter.  As I want a monitor that can be calibrated to show me accurately what my prints from calibrated printer/ink/paper combination will look like, this is not much use.  My printers produce even colours across the picture.

Back then, I and others suggested that we would be happy to pay a premium for a screen in which the colour variation was not noticable.  Clearly such screens are aound as many colour critical users attest.  Equally there must be many people out there who either don't notice or don't care about the green pink tint, because while some people have complained about them, many must have accepted them.

The brightness range on my Diamondtron CRT screen which got me out of trouble then has dropped badly, so I am looking for a new monitor again.

So please Dell, pick some good ones off the line, test them right across the screen and put them out as a photographers version at a premium price.  I suspect you could do this for a lot less than the NEC PA241W which is nearly twice the price in UK and is not going to be twice as good as a "good" U2410. 

178 Posts

May 24th, 2011 17:00

Does the latest Revision (A04) fix any of the problems mentioned in this thread ?  I planned to purchase this monitor but not if it's still messed up.

May 25th, 2011 00:00

I think that this is a hardware quality control issue.  The specification is not tight enough.   If their Revisions had resolved it Dell would have told us.  Very sad, as it has excellent reviews of units with no tinting.  There is a cnet review of one with tinting, however.

You can pay a lot more for one with the technology to fix the problem or take a gamble.

1 Message

May 26th, 2011 13:00

I am in the market for three 24" displays.  Over several days of reading reviews on technical sites I hoped that the often mentioned Pink / Green tint problem appeared in early models but would have been corrected by now. As a long time Dell customer, I realize these forums tend to attract people who have problems with a product while thousands are quietly satisfied.  That said, I am disappointed and frankly surprised that Dell has not corrected an obvious quality problem that is frustrating a large number of customers and causing an even larger number of potential buyers to shy away from this product.

I really tried to talk myself into buying three of these but it sounds like a complete crap shoot whether you happen to get lucky.  And if you do have a bad monitor, it's going to cost money to roll the dice again until you either get lucky or give up.  I'll keep looking.

5 Posts

May 26th, 2011 14:00

@CherryBark

I've attempted to get in contact with Dell on the 18th (May) through two different email tickets and via this thread and I have yet to receive any e-mails back, nor has a moderator/technician responded in this thread... While that is not extremely terrible it is annoying, especially if you are trying to take advantage of a sale price.

Maybe I will try to make a new thread and hopefully not get banned for it.  I also plan to call directly, but that will have to wait a little while.

May 30th, 2011 14:00

I just came up with a curious thing.  Dell say that the U2410 complies with TCO 03. Amongst other things TCO03 specifies

Light levels without color tint - No color tint introduced at lower light levels.

Uniform color over the entire screen - No distortion of colors.

Chris, can you explain how you are able to say that the green /pink tint is within spec. and yet claim compliance with TCO03, please?

May 30th, 2011 14:00

Light levels without color tint - No color tint introduced at lower light levels.

Uniform color over the entire screen - No distortion of colors.

Just looked up TCO'03 myself, out of curiosity, and it doesn't say any such thing. What it actually says is:

"Δu'v' = 0.01 for the maximum colour deviation between measured active areas on the screen that are intended to maintain the same colour."

"For an FPD in landscape mode, the Δu'v' between areas on the left side and the right sideof the screen when it is positioned at +30° and at -30° horizontally to the screen normal shall be = 0.025."

"The greyscale steps to be used are 255, 225, 195, 165, 135 and 105, and each should be measured in the centre of the screen. The maximum difference in either u'or v' identifies those steps where Δu'v' should be calculated. The Δu'v' shall be = 0.02."

In other words, color variation is allowed, but must be within a certain range, which is greater when viewed off-angle at the screen edges, and allowed to vary still further when luminance varies. Incidentally, the luminance test isn't even performed anywhere except at the center of the display. And to claim compliance, Dell has to have submitted a test report performed by a TCO-authorized testing laboratory. In other words, a test lab somewhere has stated that the display meets this test.

May 30th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for that clarification. I think I was looking at a summary of some sort.  Doesn't really solve my problem if I have to keep sending them back to get a good one.  Think I will have to bite the bullet and spend 800 quid (GBP) on something with proper colour control.

Having said that, I note that in your last paragraph you say that a lab has to have tested "the display".  In practice, they will have tested "a display", and we know that many are acceptable to people doing colour critical work.  Do we know that the screens with noticeable green/pink tint are actually within the spec.?

May 30th, 2011 16:00

No, but then we don't know that with any brand. It's unlikely there's a procedure in place to prevent cherry picking. We know that Dell says they're within their own spec, though. That is the only thing that matters, to be honest. It's not a problem to them, and at the price they're asking, I'm not surprised in the least. As you note yourself, you have to pay significantly more to get a monitor from a company that provides any guarantee beyond what Dell is providing.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2011 08:00

I finally found my password for this site. I kept getting error msgs when attempting to change the lost password - way to go Dell.  

I don't know if this will get deleted or not, but, after a bad experience with my last Dell tower (17" monitor worked well for years), I went with a Digital Storm rig (i7-950 @ 3.9 on air/GTX 480/6g DDR3/Intel SSD/Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1/HAF 932).  I was going to go with the Dell 24" monitor, but, after too much bad press on the tinting and return poilicy issues, I opted for a HP ZR24w.  Nearly a year and no problems with the monitor or the rig.

P.S. - I play a lot of CivV and Battlefield.  

10 Posts

August 1st, 2011 15:00

To anyone complaining about pink tinting: Stop complaining, scrap the adobe preset and calibrate yourself. If you don't know how to calibrate, then you shouldn't be worried about it. Also, It is real easy to get outstanding results with this monitor, even without calibration hardware. Just do some searching on Google! I have a U2410 sitting right beside a Lacie at 2x the price and they are nearly identical, except the Dell outperforms in regards to gradient banding.

If anyone here has one of these and are not happy, contact me, I will buy as many as I can get a good deal on!

43 Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

@owpdesigner

My U2410 is using the custom preset, calibrated with a Spyder device. My color profile is also created with this device. The tint issue has nothing to do with presets/profiles.

10 Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

All I am saying is that I did notice a pink tint when I got the monitor new, after I adjusted, there is no pink tint. Its not hard to correct, as you probably did.

January 30th, 2012 16:00

@OWPDesigner: good for you, must have been lucky and got one with a uniform pink tint, which is easily correctable as you point out. What so many people are complaining about is the green tint on one side and pink on the other, which is NOT correctable. I have just, with great regret, boxed up my new U2410 for return because I have this problem too. Calibration with my Spyder 3 does not and cannot fix a non-uniform tint.

No Events found!