This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 3rd, 2011 00:00

U2410 & Thunderbolt Issues

Hi,

15" MacBook Pro, Early 2011

Lion 10.7.2

Dell U2410 REV 5

I've owned the U2410 for about 2 weeks now and I still can not figure out what is up with connection issues to the MacBook Pro.

Apple's official Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter & Dell's included DVI cable:

- The monitor never enters Power Saver mode. Instead, the picture disappears but the backlight remains on

- The monitor successfully displays in RGB mode

Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable:

- The monitor believes the signal is an HDTV and refuses to be set to RGB mode. It will only display in YPbPr

- The monitor, however, successfully enters Power Saver mode

I've tried shutting off the "Put hard disks to sleep" option; I've tried disabling "Automatic graphics switching"...Nothing seems to work.

I believe the problem has to do with the Thunderbolt/DisplayPort. I do not have these issues on my older white MacBook using a MiniDVI-to-DVI adapter.

Is Dell aware of these issues? Working on them? This is a common problem for most users with a Thunderbolt port and attempting to use the U2410. But there remains a lot of confusion as to what the problem is and whether or not steps are being taken to alleviate it?

Thank you,

-Yah

March 27th, 2012 00:00

@skylarking But again, you misread what you quoted. The links you reference are speaking about daisy chaining to a Thunderbolt display. Please re-read it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4885

"Mini DisplayPort displays will not light up if connected to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)."

Apple also states:

"Displays connected via Mini DisplayPort video adapter to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) will not work."

But from that same link, Apple then says:

"Connect Mini DisplayPort displays directly to a Thunderbolt port on a Thunderbolt-capable Mac or to a compatible Thunderbolt peripheral."

So they in fact *are* acknowledging Mini DisplayPort will work connected directly to the Thunderbolt display of the MacBook Pro, which is what this thread is specifically about.

And in any case, as to a solution, I've already suggested anyone interested in finding a solution file a bug report with Apple. And I'll re-post that link below:

https://bugreport.apple.com

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

March 27th, 2012 03:00

Yes the referenced links in my second post are about daisy chaining and highlight one interconnect problem (probably could have been clearer why i added the second post). Apple pushes the daisy chaining feature of Thunderbolt yet it's own Thunderbolt display won't allow daisy chaining to another of its own miniDP displays. This should be an indication that all is not well with Thunderbolt/miniDP/Apple. Also, Apples own statement talk only of connecting the thunderbolt port on the Mac Pro directly to the miniDP port of the display (which will work) but conspicuously mentions nothing of adapters for use with non Apple monitors (as anything non Apple doesn't seems to exist).

I know the thread is specifically about connecting a thunderbolt port on your Mac Pro to a DVI or DP port on a Dell monitor via an adapter and that you ask if Dell is aware that Apple users are having issues. But i saw it as an Apple problem and maybe i digressed just a little...

Going back to the beginning and taking a different tack. :emotion-1:

DVI-A/D/I is a multifaceted interface that can carry analog, single link or dual link digital signals (which can also be HDCP or non HDCP compliant just to make it fun for the consumer to learn all the sub standards). A miniDP-DVI adapter can be single or dual link DVI as consequence but cable and adapter are best paired.

Now, a single link DVI handles 1920x1080@60Hz while dual link DVI handles 2560x1600@60Hz, both at nominal 24bit color space. If you use more than 24bits, you need dual link DVI for even the 1920x1080@60Hz, hence best to have dual link cable and adapter in all cases.

The specs for the U2410 list it as supporting 1.07billion color panel which = 30bits but oddly the spec also shows what looks to be a single link DVI connectors on the monitor itself !

So,

1. Is the Apple miniDP-DVI adapter dual link DVI?
2. Is the Dell DVI cable dual link DVI?

If no to either, try the dual link DVI type for both as this seems to be the cause of many others problems. Does this now work?
If it doesn't work, what happens if you reduce the color depth on the laptop to something at or below 24bits, does it now work?

3. Have you tried the miniDP-DP cable with your laptop and another non Dell monitor (the cable could be faulty)? Doe it work with the non Dell monitor? At what color depth?

The above may give us some more info that could resolve where the issues lay.

8 Posts

March 29th, 2012 14:00

I got mine to work by using this adapter- "Accell B112B-001B UltraAV Mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort(f) Adapter (10 Inches, Black)"

It's not in a RGB colour space, which is less than ideal, and haven't tried to calibrate it yet. It's in some video/tv space ypbpr, or something-

I think performance might be limited by the hardware itself- in this case, the adapter and cable combination. Altogether, there might be four different manufacturers in the system, including apple and dell, and each of their products might actually work perfectly, as long as you don't expect to connect them to each other, or expect  to get any assistance beyond being pointed towards articles cut and pasted from the Internet. If you'd like to see a good example of 'upselling' try ordering a computer from dell...

Anyway, hope this helps, don't blame me if it doesn't- I can't really help, beyond this-

Joseph

7 Posts

March 29th, 2012 14:00

To be honest, You might be right and probably would be a Apple fault...

Anyway a do need a way to solve this out, if Dell barely answer something on web, could you imagine Apple.

I use this monitor and computer for my work and if I live in USA I had probably bought another monitor or whatever. The point it is that on my country everything cost twice as much... so much taxes.

Anyway, if someone find a way to make the Dell U2410 works on a MacBook Pro Thunderbolt, I will appreciate if you share.

Best regards to all

8 Posts

March 29th, 2012 15:00

If you need to calibrate for soft proofing, then that might be problematic.

I'm not noticing any graininess at all, and the MBP and the dell monitor produce similar, though nowhere near matched, colour. Outputting for web produces fairly predictable colours between a range of devices-  

It's nowhere near acceptable, but since the only other option would appear to be binning the monitor I already had when I got the MBP, I suppose I have to grudgingly put up with it.

Regarding the gamut, that should be controlled by your video card anyway, and I'm not sure the MBP outputs in 10 or 12 bit anyway- meaning that both monitors might have a similar colour range, though I'm no expert, I'm just pasting something I mentally cut from the Internet a long time ago.

I know that adapter works for me, though I had to try two different cables- maybe your next step is to change your cable-

7 Posts

March 29th, 2012 15:00

Hello Joseph,

I got the same as you did, YPbPr (and that's mean "Component video") more a tv out...

I do actually work with photography. Have you notice how does, side by side, your monitor look's much more grainy then the notebook ?

Even after the calibrate process, the problem persist... and that's just not enough on my case cause I do need a very accurate monitor.

And to make that better, 27" mac display do not reproduce as much color as Dell (16.7 million Vs. 1.07 billion), looks a big difference to me, and I'm not pretty sure how this is going to affect what I see from my work.

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

best regards

1 Message

July 2nd, 2012 07:00

Hi there,

I would like to know if you have solved your problem, I am having the same issue.

Many thanks 

V

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hello Joseph, I did made the change and got the mac thunderbolt display. To be honest you will not see difference on your final work, you can easily got for the Mac Display with no regrets.

It is bigger, and better looking too. Shame on me pay twice for a product (photography monitor) but...

best regards

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hello there,

I solved buying the thunderbolt Mac display.

Apple did send me some procedure trying to help me out, I was not able to do it but if you want to I can send it for you.

Dell doesn't answer my email's, I did try to call them but in my country they are quite stupid, I don't know how they would treat you over yours but...

The problem looks to be on the Dell monitor firmware, in order to work properly it should be updated. The point it is that Dell did say that it can't be done for the final user only for their tecnician and they don't have this service.

Anyway I hope you better lucky, at the end I should get going with my work so I did expend over $1.500,00 (US Dollar... taxes at my country are a bit crazy) to buy the Mac display.

Shame on me paying so much for a product that I already have (good monitor for photography) but I was so HAPPY for not having to call DELL costume care anymore that I actually didn't care.

If you want to send me your email I can send you back the Apple procedure ok.

Best regards

8 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 09:00

Glad it's worked out, even though it's an expensive option-

I'm still using the Dell, it works, though I can't really trust it. At least I don't have the problems that some users continue to have...

All the best-

j

1 Message

August 30th, 2012 01:00

I don't know whether the following will work for others or not, but I use a Cablesson mini Displayport to HDMI lead for connecting a Macbook Pro to the U2410 (the U2410's Displayport is connected to a Latitude 6410 so was never an option for me).

I don't know the merits/limitations of either interface (I do not do graphics work), but the monitor appears to be running full resolution when the Macbook Pro is connected this way. The Macbook Pro also auto detects the connection.

October 17th, 2012 03:00

I'm having the same issue as others here with Dell2410 and new MaCBookPro(2012) connected throught MiniDP to HDMI cable. The quality is terrible. I can only get an approximation of good color in yPbPr- and it's not good colour at  all. RGB produces wildly mad colour. Black characters over white color have no definition, etc...

The monitor works perfect using and old MacBook and through DVI adapter.

Is it posible that my Dell will work Ok if I try to connect via DVI and not HDMI?

Is there any miniDP to HDMI cable brand that is tested to work with my hardware setup?

October 23rd, 2012 08:00

Just come here to see if anybody has find a solution to this issue.

I have tried to connect a Dell U2410 to a MacBooPro(2012) via a miniDP to HDMI adapter and get the same unpleasant result as described before.

Since every cable or adapter is around 30€, I have no cash to start a blind test until I find the right combination,  I would like to know if there is any setup and brand that will make this to pieces work together as expected.

The monitor is in perfect condition. I can plug it to a 2008 White MacBook via MiniDVI to VGA cable and the output is excellent.

October 29th, 2012 12:00

I have resolved my issue using a miniDP to DVI adapter (an Apple one). Now the monitor is not considered a TV by the system and everything is working fine.

3 Posts

November 5th, 2012 14:00

2 years ago I had a MBP 15 (late 2007) antiglare wich I connected to the dell 2410. The result was a pinsharp picture. Now I changed my MBP to an MBP 15 (late 2011) glare. 

I first connected with an thunderbolt to hdmi adapter. The reult was an fussy dell display. Then i used miniDP to DVI adapter. The result is better but it still seems that the picture is a bit fussy. The monitor is still displayed as a TV. How can I be sure it is displayed proper? I am going banans on this issue. Is the only solution to buy a Cinema display?

No Events found!