Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 10th, 2014 22:00

U2412M Flickering During Boot Up?

Last week I took delivery of a XPS8700 computer and a U2412M monitor. I bought the computer with Windows 7 installed to maintain harmony witIh the rest of the computers in the house. :) The monitor has a max resolution of 1920x1200 and the driver was provided on a disc included with the monitor. All installed as planned, but with almost every boot, the monitors flickers like crazy from the time the windows' screen first loads the wallpaper until the system gets fully loaded. I've refreshed the driver, changed resolution, deleted as much as I dare from the msconfig startup and the flickering still occurs. When I get past the flickering, the monitor is gorgeous, the IPS screen a marvel, matted screen is terrific, but....... I'm getting assistance from Dell, but nothing seems to make a difference. Can this be normal? The Dell tech is calling me in 3-4 days after he discusses the issue with his Supervisor. Should I be considering packing the monitor up and returning the monitor for another U2412M or perhaps, something else? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

25 Posts

April 11th, 2014 00:00

Disregard this reply. Issue still exists. I had an error in the original posting and didn't realize I could edit it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

Test the monitor on another computer to see if the issue follows the monitor.

25 Posts

April 12th, 2014 08:00

Monitor is normally connected to the 8700 via DVI cable.  When VGA cable connects the two, monitor flickers as before.  Using the same VGA cable to connect between the 2412 and my Dell 15R laptop, there is no flicker.  Also noticed that desktop icons are smaller and sharper when connected to the laptop.  I guess that points to the 8700 graphics card?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 12th, 2014 18:00

* Auto Adjust is not available when using the monitor DVI or DP port. But it is available when using the monitor VGA port. So with the computer connected to the monitor via the VGA to VGA cable
* Press the monitor Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Auto Adjust and let it run. Does it clean up the image?

25 Posts

April 12th, 2014 19:00

Chris,

I removed the DVI cable and am now connected to the 8700 with the VGA cable.  I ran the Auto Adjust from the OSD.  To be honest, I can't tell any difference.  When I had the monitor connected to my laptop, the desktop and task bar icon were more compact but the rest of the desktop was otherwise the same.  

Is there any reason to use VGA over DVI or vice versa?

The flickering persisted during start up as described in the original posting.  I restarted a couple times and the annoying flickering is still there regardless of cable.

TL

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 13th, 2014 12:00

I only had you use VGA to run the Auto Adjust. You should be using DVI from the 8700 video card to the monitor. Since the flicker was NOT there when connected to the laptop, that tells us that the culprit is the 8700 video card or video card driver, not the monitor.

25 Posts

April 13th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, Chris.  I figured the DVI was preferable.  Thought it prudent to verify with you.  Agree with your culprit assessment, as well.  I have a call from the Dell Concierge techs on Tuesday.  Figured this was a good way to cut to the chase.  I appreciate your assistance. TL 

25 Posts

May 5th, 2014 12:00

Through assistance with Dell Tech Services, we finally determined that the 8700 graphics card was the culprit.  Also, since I SD card driver and other issues, and was still within the window for new exchanges, Dell recommended a computer exchange.  I received the new XPS 8700 on 5-2-14, cabled up, loaded software while rebooting often, and I'm pleased to say all issues including the flickering are resolved.  I also borrowed another monitor from a friend and hooked it up via the vga cable to the "defective" 8700 and observed the flickering.  With the "defective" 8700, it didn't matter which cable I used.  And the monitor worked fine with my laptop.  I would suspect that your issue is the same.  If you're within the 21 or 30 day exchange/return window, I suggest getting Dell to exchange computers.  After the window expires, your only option is a refurbished computer, so move fast?  Good luck!

3 Posts

May 5th, 2014 12:00

I am doing an upgrade from a (very) old Dell to an 8700 with a U2412M monitor and I am seeing exactly the same thing. I originally thought it might be the PowerNap software, which was not operating correctly, so I uninstalled it. Still get the flicker at boot-up until the color background is established.

Have not had the opportunity to change cables to test what you have laid out here. If the flicker remains after checking the VGA connection (I'm also using the DVI cable right now), which evidently means it's the video card (either hardware or software), what do I need to do next?

Thanks

3 Posts

May 5th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the reply...

OK...here's what I have. Dell, please let me know what I need to do next...

1. Screen flicker on boot-up. Lower 2/3 flickering badly. Flicker persists until about 20-30 seconds after log-in.

2. VGA cable tried. Same behavior. Ran OSD.

3. BID came out fine. All colors looked OK.

4. Checked video drivers. Current drivers are 4/1/2011, and driver search says I'm current.

5. Tested with my wife's laptop (Dell Inspiron of some model). No flicker.

What's next?  Thanks...

3 Posts

May 5th, 2014 15:00

Further amplification...

1. Flickering occurs for 10-20 seconds after initial log-on screen comes up, then stops.

2. After login, flickering starts after about 5-10 seconds, lasts for up to (maybe) 10 seconds, then stops.

3. NVIDIA GeForce GT 635, driver date 11/11/2013, driver search says it's current.

4. Video driver should say 4/11/2011.

25 Posts

May 5th, 2014 17:00

Mine had the exact same symptoms. Recommend you contact Dell customer care at 800-624-9897 assuming you are still under warranty.  If everything else with the computer is okay, replacing the GT635 may be all you need.  I'm assuming you bought the monitor and computer under the same order.  Dell was very responsive when I pursued the issue.  I called the day after I set it up.  And as soon as I verified the U2412M was okay, it was a slam dunk.  Here's something to consider, when the Dell tech had control of my computer and did a reboot, we did NOT see the flicker.  Don't know why.  So, I used my phone to video a typical boot-up, which included the flicker.  The next day, I called Dell back and the tech was able to view the video on my computer from his screen.  Coupled with the other issues I had, within 30 minutes they gave me the choice of a new exchange or just replace the graphics card.  

January 29th, 2015 10:00

I'm having this same problem.  Just purchased a Dell U2412M and mine flickers badly on the lower 1/3 of the screen for about 30 seconds after logging in and the system getting up and running.

I have the same Dell XPS 8700 with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 graphics card.  Did you resolve your problem?

25 Posts

January 29th, 2015 14:00

Dell replaced the monitor. New one has worked fine since.

No Events found!