Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2014 08:00

U2413 Dual Monitor Calibration Issue and a Question

Hi,

I received my 2 new U2413 monitors yesterday.  I finally figured out how to calibrate them by installing the proper software:  Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution Setup 1.5.3.

Now my issue is that I'm not getting the same calibration options for each monitor.

Monitor #1, which the Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution is calling "DELL U2413(2) KTXXK418AEFL", after clicking "Display Profiling" from the Home screen offers me White Point options such as CIE Illuminant D65 (ranging from D50 to D75), then Native, Daylight Temperature, xy.. and measure.

Monitor #2, which the Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution is calling "DELL U2413(2) KTXXK418AEVL", after clicking "Display Profiling" from the Home screen offers me the options I expected from the users guide:  AdobeRGB, sRGB, Rec. 601, Rec. 709, SMPTE-C, Native and Custom xy....

Why are they different?  I used Native to calibrate Monitor #2 and it adjusted everything automatically.  I used CIE Illuminant D65 to calibrate Monitor #1 and it did everything automatically except luminance, which I had to do manually via the monitor controls.

Monitor #1 seems way to hot.  It's almost blinding, and the colors seem a bit oversaturated still.  It seems the calibration for Monitor #2 was much more thorough (it took much longer and seemed to do everything for me).

Why am I not getting the same options for each?

And finally, I believe I read that if I leave the i1Display Pro plugged in and by the monitors it can adjust the brightness during the day based upon the light in the room.  Is this true?  If so, what do I need to do to enable this for both monitors?

Sorry this post is so long, and thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely,

Gary

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 10th, 2014 01:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19566605.aspx

Chris said that an update (when?) will fix this issue. Untill then plug one monitor while using DCCS, after calibration plug in the two and configure your dual screen setup.

When two of the same model monitors are connected, the selection options becomes different. X-rite will release a new software version to resolve this bug. In the meantime, connect only one monitor at a time for calibration.

DELL-Chris M

Update - My apologies for misleading you. X-rite has confirmed that this is not a bug to be corrected. The DUCCS (Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution) software is working as designed. In a dual or more monitor configuration, you must only have one monitor connected to the PC at a time when calibrating. Calibrate that monitor. Then disconnect it and connect the second monitor. Calibrate it.
DELL-Chris M

April 10th, 2014 05:00

Hey Gary,

I have the same problem, we just have to wait for the fix.

The first screen is way off because the software has a bug and thinks the backlight is CCFL. I mentioned this in the linked post.

The automatic brightness thing is for the i1DisplayPro i1Profiler in the box software. Waste of time as changing brightness also changes your Whitepoint.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2014 11:00

Thanks Yumichan!

Now I've calibrated each monitor separately (turned one off while doing the other), how do I confirm that the settings saved in Cal1 are being used?  The program says I can switch between Cal1 and Cal2 with the OSD functions, but I don't see that option.  Is that because I've only set up Cal1 thus far?

Thanks again,

Gary

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 11th, 2014 02:00

CAL1 an CAL2 are always accesible in OSD even if you have not calibrated them, they are just "stores".
If uncalibrated the store native behaviour (like Standard).
CAL1 and CAL2 are at the same level in OSD menu as AdobeRGB or sRGB emulation modes.
They are also accesible with Dell Display Manager for Windows users.

However remember that color managed applications (like Photoshop) need that you activate as default profile a profile that describes current OSD mode before you start that appplication.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2014 07:00

Thanks!  I assumed the monitor would use the calibrated settings after running the calibration software, but after downloading and running Dell Display Manager, I see that wasn't true.  Now I've selected Cal1 which I calibrated using the Native setting.

Do you have any good advice regarding Native vs the other settings when calibrating?  I ran Native because the caliabration program says "If you are not sure what to select, or if you are not trying to emulate a specific color space, choose Native and your display’s primaries will be set to produce the display's largest possible gamut."  I'm watching some videos but mostly using the web, Outlook, reviewing PDFs of signs and advertising we'll be using for work (the reason for needing accurate monitors), etc.

Thanks again!

Gary

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 11th, 2014 10:00

AFAIK, native aims for native or closest daylight white of native white. Not very useful.
From your information it seems that you din not need a widegamut monitor, just a moderate acurate sRGB monitor like U2713HM.

After reading your uses for your U2413, I'll set CAL1=sRGB preset in DCCS (web with Internet Explorer, Chrome , Opera, video*, games....) CAL2=AdobeRGB preset in DCCS for photo editing in AdobeRGB or some preprint samples of PDFs (but 90% I think will be sRGB), and if you needed some kind of paper to monitor comparison a native coordinates (read them from driver's icm with ArgyllCMS) with 2.2 or sRGB gamma curve, with a warmer white, D60, D55, D50...
DCCS works worse in native gamut than AdobeRGB and, worse in AdobeRGB than sRGB in grey ramp neutrality. It is because of less patches measurement for native gamma than needed (we need twice the number), several people have reported this behaviour in this forums but Dell nor Xrite care...

A jack of all trades will be: CAL1=sRGB, CAL2=AdobeRGB and if you have a nvida Quadro or an AMD graphic card I'll calibrate with i1Profiler 1.5.0 (the software that comes bundles with i1DisplayPro, please dowmload latest version 1.5 form Xrite's web) the "Custom" OSD mode to a D50, or D55, or D58 white and a 2.2 or sRGB gamma.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2014 15:00

I understand that my monitors may be overkill, but I wanted to make sure that when I approve advertising, bill boards and expensive signs that I'm seeing them correctly. 

I suppose that when I'm viewing PDFs for items above that AdobeRGB would be best.  Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Gary

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 12th, 2014 06:00

Yes, but also sRGB for most of them or a native gamut calibration to whatever whitepoint you need.
If you use Adobe Acrobat (Reader or Pro) remember to asign "default" (untagged) workspace in:
Edition->Preferences->Color management (version 9, maybe a little difefferent in X or XI).
I would choose as "default" for untagged RGB  "sRGB". The program does apply color management so even if you have a CAL2=AdobeRGB (and its ICM file active as default in windows) it would render untagged images sRGB (unsaturated as most if them should be).

No Events found!