Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 1st, 2013 23:00

U2413, RTC (response time compensation)

On the U2413, is there any way to turn off RTC?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 02:00

Dobr,

There is no user control over the overdrive RTC (response time compensation) impulse within the monitor OSD menu.

29 Posts

March 28th, 2013 12:00

Oh no ... really? It's happening on this monitor too? I have the Dell 2740L as well which has this issue and I thought it wouldn't happen to this model. It's really bad on  the 2740L, and Dobr and nokey (another post thread) captured the exact way it shows up in photos on the U2413. I just placed the order for it today [Dell U2413], I think I will cancel it now. What shame, I planned on using this side-by-side with my Dell 2005FPW. FYI: I had the 2410 -- returned that in a week, I had bluish tinting and horrible AG coating. It's like ever since they moved away from Samsung to LG, their monitors have gone from good, to bad, to worse. You're right, doesn't ANYONE actually take the time to sit in front of the monitor and see how it works? Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Are there any plans to have an on/off overdrive option? I'd like to know so I cancel or keep this pending order. Thanks.

10 Posts

March 28th, 2013 15:00

Hi adobepro,

I wanted upgarde from U2410. But U2413 have this bad overdrive. U2410 have some minor ovedrive problems too... ( I think that too high ovedrive this is specialty of all Dells monitors) but U2410 have only bad some  transitions from dark to light shades. Transitions from light to darker shades are ok...

U2413 have high oveshoots in  transitions from dark to light shades but adds  very ugly undershoots on  transitions from light  to little darker shades... this produce very ugly anomalies on light scenes.:emotion-6:

And the worst thing is that there is no possibility to disable it (there is no option in OSD menu for overdrive ON/OFF). So my advice to you is:  Cancel the order. if you don't like inverse ghosting (maybe Dell making monitors for inverse ghosting fans:emotion-2:).

EDIT: This monitor (like U2713h and U3014) is good only for static pictures with possibility to produce accurate colors (photo editing). On the other hand, moving content on this monitor is very bad (games, movies, animations).

29 Posts

March 28th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for your reply nokey -- I think I may have found a crude "solution". On my Dell S2740L -- I set the brightness to 100% and set the contrast to an acceptable 40%. When I scroll webpages, the inverse ghosting is not too bad -- it's just slight fast blur. Originally, webpages and skyrim were REALLY bad. I'm wondering if it also has to do with PWM when you set the brightness lower than 100%? I'm going to let the order go through and fiddle with it to see if I can manage with it -- worst case, I have free return shipping. I might try softmccs and see if I can do anything with that to turn off overdrive. Thanks again for your reply and comments -- completely agree....such a shame. It really makes me wonder if anyone in Dell actually sits down and uses the monitor rather than just staring at a static image to see how the monitor performs before going into contract to sell these units with the Dell brand name. As for the U2410 -- I couldn't stand it! I used it twice for about 10 minutes, waited a week to give it one more shot, and yes, that monitor was THAT bad. Horrible tinting and horrible AG coating. They fixed that, and now have this. Wow. Doesn't Dell have anyone in the company that can see what's going on? There are problems, and unless Dell is aware and they just don't care, esp. with who's buying who (going from public to privately owned company), just sell, sell, sell under the UltraSharp brand that had a great reputation to keep shareholders happy, and/or there really is no more quality control and no one cares.

Apathy at it's finest!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 29th, 2013 14:00

I was looking to buy a couple of high-end Dell 24" UltraSharp monitors, but after some casual Internet research, looks like the new u2413 is off my short list. This is not some entry-level monitor ... the u2413 is suppose to be the best 24" monitor that Dell can make.

So that everyone knows what we are talking about:

Initial reviews of the new 2013 top-of-the-line 24" UltraSharp monitor are poor. People are complaining of OverDriven images and inverse ghosting. This "u2410 replacement" should be able to handle fast images (movie editing and playback, CAD animation, game development and testing) as least as good as the u2410.

See Detailed Review here:

Some of this is pretty technical. Search article for keywords: RTC, motion blur, overshoot, overdrive, Responsiveness and Gaming

www.tftcentral.co.uk/.../dell_u2413.htm

Hopefully, these issues can be resolved. It seems that the RTC algorithm needs adjusting. Other monitor manufacturers give some user control of RTC (either on/off or variable percentage). If and when a new Revision Level is released, I suggest the Dell reach out the TFTCentral and others so they can re-test and update their reviews.

More Links from casual Internet search:

User Kundica returned their's due to poor display uniformity and connectivity.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039667480

Looks like the below thread got locked (but see Nokey's examples there).

en.community.dell.com/.../19495675.aspx

This one is still unlocked. Shared u2413 and u2713h data should probably go here

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19496255.aspx

See Customer (sales page) reviews here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If I find any more u2413 specific data, I will edit this post or post it in this thread. Last edit 3-29-2013.

29 Posts

March 29th, 2013 16:00

Thanks nokey and Telsa1856

nokey: I'm wondering, can't we do a firmware update via usb / softmccs to fix the overdrive? I find that having to ship a monitor to a repair facility to fix this issue is barbaric, prone to physical damage during shipping and handling (I assume you don't get your monitor back, but a refurb unit with the new firmware,) and a waste of time and money for everyone.

Telsa1856: Sure, as soon as I get it, I'll post the Rev #.

I know there are other issues with this monitor, but come on, this is basic. I find it hard to believe any 5 star reviews on Dell suggesting how good this monitor is when such a basic function of the monitor is piss poor. Scrolling a webpage should not look like this. My $100 viewsonic at work has better performance. I don't even have the monitor yet, but I'm making this claim based on the S2740L and what DELL-Chris M said: "All of the Uxx13 will have the same design. No, this design is not going to change. No, there will not be firmware to change this design." Once I get the monitor U2413 on Monday, you'll have my confirmation as well.

Wow, such a brash statement if you think about it:  "All of the Uxx13 will have the same design. No, this design is not going to change. No, there will not be firmware to change this design." We are paying customers. We give you money and we have certain expectations of the goods you sell to us. I'm a software engineer, and if I developed and sold software like this, I'd be out of business. I'm not trying to start a fight -- but listen, this isn't charity. For a $500 monitor, we do have certain expectations that basic functionality should work perfectly, or at least comparable to a $100 ViewSonic.

29 Posts

April 1st, 2013 21:00

OK, I got mine today -- it's Rev A01, and unlike the inverse ghosting on my S2740L (the text when scrolling on a web page becomes "crinkly", the text and all images have this bluish/cyan tint to them above/below -- e.g., when you scroll down, there is this bluish/cyan tint underneath the text/image -- scroll-up, there is bluish/cyan tint above. My 2405FPW (my mistake from before, I don't have the 2005FPW, I have the 2405FPW) doesn't do this. Another really annoying thing about this monitor is when watching video, the entire screen shifts brightness/contrast (or color temp, can't really tell) from my setting to a darker setting. My current setup is DisplayPort to GTX 680 / sRGB. I'm going to play with this for a few days and see how things go. I will say this though, the AG coating is perfect, 1000x better than the U2410 and actually better than my 2405FPW.

29 Posts

I tried all the modes, including AdobeRGB, and the same ghosting appears as well as the color temp or brightness/contrast changes during the playback, e.g., for n-seconds it's one color "hue", and then it changes depending on the lighting in the movie. If they could fix this, I'd strongly consider keeping it. At this point, I will most likely return it this week. Static photos look great, but anything that involves motion, the monitor acts wonky like this, esp. with video. One person on the review for this monitor make sure cables are tight/good GPU. Aside from a firepro/quadro, I think a GTX 680 is a darn good card. The DisplayPort connection couldn't be any tighter. It's the monitor.

29 Posts

OK -- I figured out how to get the video to work properly, after I opened the Dell Display Manager (I usually just keep it off) and played a video, I got a dialogue for "smart video enhancement" -- I disabled that and the color shifting doesn't happen anymore.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 00:00

OK, I got mine today -- it's Rev A01, and unlike the inverse ghosting on my S2740L (the text when scrolling on a web page becomes "crinkly", the text and all images have this bluish/cyan tint to them above/below -- e.g., when you scroll down, there is this bluish/cyan tint underneath the text/image -- scroll-up, there is bluish/cyan tint above.

Another really annoying thing about this monitor is when watching video, the entire screen shifts brightness/contrast (or color temp, can't really tell) from my setting to a darker setting.

Thanks.

So, is there a scrolling text in browser problem or not? I've seen screen shots of this on a u2413 and it wasn't pretty.

Movie Playback problem is cured by now?

How is gaming?

29 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

Sure, you're welcome.

Yes, there is a scrolling text problem (see below)

Courtesy of nokey, it's exactly the same with webpages on mine: http://www.abload.de/img/dell-motionzxuzr.jpg

From the following Thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19495675/20317643.aspx#20317643

Movie Playback, seems ok on the few movies I played back (from my A57 camera, to 720P/1080P movies.)

Gaming: Haven't tried yet, but skyrim was bad on the S2740L -- I'll be testing with Skyrim tomorrow and will update this thread.

Overall: I'm really not a fan of the OSD hover menu -- I still prefer buttons. The stand is not as good as the U2410, but adequate. The monitor itself is nicel designed.

Notes: I wish the people calibrating the monitor would take more care with the panel. I found two scuff marks on the screen -- not sure if they are fingerprints or damage to the AG coating when being handled -- I'll use a microfiber cloth and some distilled water and wipe to determine if its damage or just fingerprint oil.

I really want this monitor, I don't care for Hitachi's IPS or Samsung's PLS over one another -- they both work very well, it's just the implementation done by LG that's pissing me off. Life is apparently not Good with these new models. If they could simply fix that, I'd keep it and would consider buying another. However, beyond the inverse ghosting issue (which is a pretty big issue you browse the web and need to scroll,) there are issues mentioned by others (search hard fourms) about color profiling not working in certain modes / the way it's expected....that's a whole other realm to consider that I'm not considering at this point, so please keep that in mind if you interested in using this monitor for serious color work. I want this monitor for all around use (Software Development (24"/1920x1200/16x10 aspect ration,) Movies, Games and Photos, with true 8 bit processing.

This final note is directed to Tesla1856 -- may I suggest that while the free shipping both ways offer is still available, get the monitor and try it for yourself, you ultimately have to be happy with the unit. For me, I mixed about it -- certain things I love and want, and certain things I don't. The only hassle you'll have by doing that is the repackaging of the unit and having someone available at home when UPS comes to pick it up.

Something tells me the next model will probably resolve this. Unfortunately, it's either wait for a new model, buy and deal with this, or go with a different brand. I was seriously considering the Samsung S27A850T (the T is the 27" with 8 bit processing (8 bit is rumor -- can't confirm based on any literature from Samsung), the S24A850D  model is 24" with 6bit FRA) but the 24" is still 6bit and the 8 bit version is too expensive and it has issues of it's own with backlight bleeding.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 14:00

Yes, there is a scrolling text problem (see below)

... it's exactly the same with webpages on mine: http://www.abload.de/img/dell-motionzxuzr.jpg

AdobePro,

This poor RTC automatically excludes this monitor from my consideration. I wouldn't accept this on a $100 monitor, much less a $500 monitor.

Looks like we have the same requirements (really, nothing special):

Software development (desktop and cloud/Internet), movie editing and playback, CAD/CG animation, game development and testing.
24", IPS, 16:10 aspect, 1920x1200, 8ms or better, Fully Articulate stand or VESA pattern

In this day-and-age, I shouldn't even have to say this ... but I can't use monitors with poor RTC, over-shoot, ghosting, text scrolling problems, or poor color.  :emotion-7:

I had really hoped you had better news for us, but I really appreciate you taking the time to write up the review.

29 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 19:00

Sure -- you're welcome, and completely agree that our uses for this monitor are nothing special, and I feel like monitors are not progressing, but regressing. I bought my 2405WFP about 6 years ago, and I'm still impressed with the quality of that unit. I hope I had better news too, but sorry, maybe in Rev A1x it'll be fixed -- but who knows when and if that'll ever happen.

As an FYI: Ghosting is undetectable when brightness set to 100% and Contrast 38% However, the screen is a bit too dark for my taste and use. Anything above 38% while at 100% brightness, the ghosting re-appears. Such a shame, this monitor had such high potential and a decent price (when on sale.) I'm not even going to bother testing games at this point, as one of the fundamental uses for this monitor happens to be scrolling action (netbeans / dreamweaver / vs 2012 / sql server management studio / textpad / etc...) and of course, web browsing, which it fails at -- so it's being returned.

Anyways, good luck to everyone in finding a monitor that works for everyone. If I find one myself, I'll make a post reply here.

29 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 20:00

Just one last note -- very bad backlight bleeding on the bottom left and right corners....Again, my 2405FPW, no backlighting problem at all. The S2740L, slight backlight bleeding to the bottom left.

29 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 15:00

And now pink tint on the bottom right corner and top left corner which I never noticed until I set the background to white....

No Events found!