Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2014 16:00

U2413, Real gamut coverage

Hello,

Although I am still fighting to obtain a correct U2413, I am calibrating it to check the coverage. I find that calibrating in native mode with DCCS results in a quite smaller space than AdobeRGB (in greens) as seen visually. If I calibrate -then in GPU- (dispcalGUI) in standard mode the best I get is 93-94% (50% brightness) of adobeRGB (value given by dispcalGUI) instead of the 99% of adobeRGB as it should, according to DELL specs. I follow directions here and here (specially the comments too). Could it be another fault of these monitors? Has someone found this too? Another thing, I am becoming crazy trying to find it: HOW can I know/calculate the gamut coverage of a profile vs other (for example related to AdobeRGB)? The only way I know is calibrating (by GPU, so not internal LUT) with dispcalGUI, (it shows a value of coverage when it finishes), but if I have another profile (i.e. obtained in i1profile or DCCS), then how does people calculate the coverage? Which software gives that value?

Thanks!

47 Posts

November 17th, 2014 14:00

(...continues)

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/Measurement-Report-2_5F00_5_5F00_0_5F00_0-_2D00_-DELL-U2413-Sept14_2800_2_2900_-DCGUI-Prof-from-DCCS-AdobeRGB-120.zip:550:0]

And the AdobeRGB simulation. What do you think?:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/Measurement-Report-2_5F00_5_5F00_0_5F00_0-SIMULATION-aRGB-_1420_-DELL-U2413-Sept14_2800_2_2900_.zip:550:0]

I don't know why the divergence in 95% luminosity (the red point), but I could not test twice.

And an uniformity check in DCGUI:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/Uniformity-Check-2.5.0.0-_1420_-DELL-U2413-Sept14_2800_2_2900_.zip:550:0]

I had time only to do these calibrations.

It seems that even calibrating with AdobeRGB preset, I got 6600K... even in DCGUI (although here I would have hope for fine tuning the RGB gains), but not in DCCS. At least that I play with custom xy...(?)

So, tomorrow, I have to give a monitor to DELL, and I'll give away the one I received last friday from the new reseler (which has the presets problem), in I'll keep for the moment this.

What do you think about it? Seems that it fits the green primary more or less and lacks somewhat in the blue (but I think that all the other monitors, did). Is yours (or these you have seen) like that? The gray balance and gamma seems somewhat not too in-line or is it good?

Regarding bleeding the best monitor is the one from friday (faulty presets), with less bleeding, but the new from today is more or less like all the rest (somewhat all four corners, left bottom corner is the more evident). The red fringe around white-black contrast is there, and the ghosting. But I think I am getting used to it.

47 Posts

(...from previous post)

2. DCCS calibration in ADobeRGB preset and 120 cd/m2

I did a 'Profile Only' in DCGUI, and also a simulation (see below):

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

Pilar, it seems good.

2dE White Point drift from daylight is an issue of DCCS because its fixes brightness after LUT3D is wrote.

Complain Dell about that, is a DCCS software issue, some people including me have been pointing "fixable" things since first and non-funcional DCCS 1.0 came out (it cannot even reset LUT3D data, you have to do it by yourself with a factory reset!), only a few have been fixed and it seems no more updates will come.

No better 24" GBLED under 600€.

47 Posts

November 17th, 2014 15:00

Yes. Although it gives 6600k of wp, so i guess the DE would be quite greater than 2. I'd need to test to try get it better.

I assume that your advice is to keep it. You don't think that it makes sense to send it back and keep trying to get 99% coverage or whatever, it isn't?

About adobeRGB emulation which seems better to you? This one or the one of the bad presets Which I intend to return tomorrow?

Likely the tftcentral one is cherry picked one (blue primary, native wp closer to 6500,...). What bothers me more is the 6600 k thing, i hope that if i succeed to obtain it closer to 6500, it would not limit the gamut...

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 17th, 2014 15:00

U2413 from TFTCentral WAS NOT cherrypicked by any means.

-Yours is better, very good uniformity

-Their Lacie software cannot measure properly, nor profile. Their i1Pro makes warmer measurements in white because of its poor spectral resolution.

-they used DCCS 1.0

Last zip from AdobeRGB preset recalibrated in GPU IS FINE. Very good dE, >95% RGB grey values. It's fine.

Unless there is a new update in DCCS no further improvements or buy an Eizo CG247.

47 Posts

November 18th, 2014 00:00

Ah ok, Super then! Thank you very much

Yes, I wanted to buy that Eizo, and in fact I am saving for it, but I have still in list an 85 f/1.2 (this Xmas, I hope!), and a manfrotto megaboom for the studio. Then the EIZO CG247, but meanwhile I thought this DELL could be a very good compromise.

Ok so, I keep this one. Today they would come to pick the previous one (the one with bad presets).

As a side note: as I had to return the previous one (the one bought in the other reseller, which also showed aRGB and sRGB presets equal), I dared to make a reset of that monitor and see if the aRGB and sRGB presets became corrupt (as they did with the three amazon replacements I had previously). This is what I found:

The Reset All Settings, did not affect to aRGB and sRGB presets (at side of brightness and contrast, if they were changed, of course), but they stayed as they were, equal, but not corrupted to green and blue, respectively.

BUT,

The Reset Color Settings (in OSD color menu), corrupted these two presets, as it did with the previous monitors from Amazon that showed also the same preset behaviour.

So, I think that the 'reset color settings' does something bad. Likely it has stored some wrong values for presets, and when the reset is applied it copies them back, degrading them ?

Anyway, now I fear to use this option (Reset color settings) even in the good one. I think that if in any case I need to do a reset, I'll do the Reset All Settings, and that's all.

Maybe this is only related to the monitors that came with the explained presets behaviour, but who knows? Have you used this option ?

I should had to test this in the very first monitor I received from Amazon, which was like this last good one, (but with poor aRGB coverage) before returning it back, but I didn't (if I remember well)...

I hope I never activate the Reset Color Settings by mistake...

47 Posts

November 18th, 2014 14:00

Considering that the dcgui gpu calibration seems better (at least seeing the simulation report) than the DCCS one, and considering that a Quadro or Fire Pro is used, would recommend to calibrate the monitor by DCGUI or by DCCS (thinking in a calibration for photo retouch work)? i would like to use 10 bit mode in PS.

On the other hand, and as I have now a Quadro k620 and a Amd Fire Pro V4900,  do you have some preference?

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 19th, 2014 11:00

I do not know what features has the K620 over k600 but v4900 have 2 x display port for dual 10bit monitor which k600 AFAIK has not.

Regarding DCCS if you do not like its results, use DispcalGUI + AdobeRGB preset (AdobeRGB gamut D65 white) and DispcalGUI + custom mode for native gamut (eciRGBv2 images for example) and a warm white (D55, D53) for softproof and hardcopy comparisons. In Custom color use the gamma best suits your needs, in a 10bit workflow even L* (eciRGBv2) is attainable without noticeable grey level loss, in 8bit workflow and varing on your expertise you can get about 90% values of 250 greys (10% lost).

It varies on your necesities, I put 2 examples: D65 usual photo editing in sRGB and AdobeRGB (first) and preprinting/softproofing (second)

47 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 03:00

Ok,

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for your help. It has been really invaluable, as you can see from all the testing process. Without your guide and advice, I could have not solved the problem correctly, neither with enough confidence. I realice the effort to keep helping and correcting me during all these days. Thus I want to say you thank you very much for your effort, patience and for not leaving me alone.

Thank you very much!

Now I was doing some tests in order to decide which card to keep, I was testing for the 10 bit support, in PS. I have made a couple of tests, which are, in the partition with the fresh OS WIn 7 x64 install, I put the AMD (and only the AMD) with the last drivers.

Than I tested in PS CC 2014 (v2014.2.1 trial), with the 10-bit ramp test image linked in this page: https://photographylife.com/what-is-30-bit-photography-workflow , under point 5), below the gray gradients.

For these tests I had all the time Aero OFF with AMD or NVIDIA.

With 10-bit support activated in AMD control panel, I found

Case 'Use graphical processor' option Mode 30 bits Is image smooth?
1 Selected Advanced NOT selected Yes
2 Selected Advanced Selected Yes
3 NOT selected - - No

With 10-bit support unchecked in AMD control panel, then I found this:

5 Selected Advanced NOT selected No
6 Selected Advanced Selected No
7 NOT selected - - No

The case 2, is logical and, as I understand it, normal.

The case 1, bugs me as I would expect to see the image with bands or zones. Why do it like that?

The case 3, seems ok too.

Cases 5, 6 and 7 seems ok and coherent.

I saw that with AMD I had to disable Aero, which is a pity.

I tested also with the NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS 10 Bit Demo (http://www.necdisplay.com/monitor-software)

It showed correctly (when 10-bit output was checked in AMD control panel), bands in the 8-bit Windows, and smooth surfaces in the 10-bit window.

On the other hand I tested also with the Quadro (I uninstalled AMD drivers, shut off, remove AMD card and plugged in the Quadro, then after boot, I installed Quadro drivers 340.84).

The NEC 10 Bit Demo, showed correctly the differences, smooth in 10 bit window and bands in the 8-bit one. But in PS I got a strange behaviour.

9 Selected Advanced NOT selected No
10 Selected Advanced Selected Bands, but slightly smooth
11 NOT selected - - No

Case 9 and 11 aore ok for me. But the Case 10, showed clearly bands (meanwhile with the AMD was smooth), but the bands where somewhat smooth, as if a blur where performed on them, even when zooming the limit between bands was not clear. In the other cases (9 or 11) the bands where clearly defined even zooming in.

That surprise me quite a lot! I could not believe that it is normal, as I guess people would have complained about that before. Considering that the NEC demo was ok (visually, of course...), it seems related to PS, drivers or other thing.

I can only think that PS was instaled when the AMD card was also installed. Maybe PS takes into account the GPU present, when it is installing and adapts to it?

I don't know if you have some idea about it, or if you have found some behaviour similar to that before.

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 05:00

As said before IDNK what's new on Quadro k620 GPU and its incompatitibities.

Advanced mode relies on OGL GPU drivers to do some color managements task. On 8bit AMD it give more banding due to color management in 8 or 16 bit images than Basic, that's why people with non 10 bit gpu shuold stay with basic mode. Maybe your AMD firepro OGL drivers do some kind of dithering before output to a 10bit interface no matter id PS has enabled 10bit or not.

Try to create a grey ramp in eciRGBv2 (bigger distance between 2 colors), 16bit, and try Firepro setup again with PS 30bit and without it, better with some DCCS calibrated LUT3D widegamut mode, in order to test how good is Firepro dithering when performing OpenGL color management.

BTW, I would not keep that Quadro, you aw how Firepro performs better

47 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 13:00

I have done it. A ramp in EciRGB from dark gray to a lighter gray, but not too much, previously I had calibrated with DCCS with primaries from DCGUI calibration of Custom preset, so wide gamut.

It is seen the same with 30 bit activated or not. Always smooth. Only, depending on the gradient could be a very slight magenta tint in some tones. I guess due to the larger color space (which produces less resolution when choosing tones...I guess).

On the other hand, the quadro now Works ok. It seems that it needed a shut off of the PC and restart (?). It works as expected; smooth when 30 bits is selected, and bands when not. I saw a synthetic benchmark of the K600 vs the V4900 and the yes, AMD seems faster, actually.

Dunno why the AMD behaves like that though (?)

EDIT: About the eventual dithering of AMD, I am not sure, as the AMD shows bands when GPU acceleration is OFF in PS. In that case it seems that the card would not be doing the dithering... so it seems more related to PS?

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 27th, 2014 08:00

No, GPU acceleration is done via OpenGL drivers (the drivers that ACTUALLY allows you to output 10bit/channel). It's the firepro doing its job... if you turn it off... no OpenGL work is done => banding

No Events found!