Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2016 07:00

U2414H Flickering and temporary image retention

My U2414H will flicker when displaying images that are mostly black/grey with white content laced. Most reproducible on some websites with black backgrounds and notably firefox's javascript popup (with background greyed out). The flickering starts immediately but slowly intensifies until it seems as though the monitor is broken. Displaying something else immediately brings down the flickering to minimal levels (although still mildly present).

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/4338.Xbing.mp4:550:0]

It looks way more serious in real life than this video (my smartphone isn't exactly the best phone out there to take this)

This image is taken immediately after switching from the firefox javascript popup display to a full screen grey image. I hope you guys can see the really really faint taskbar retention.

S/N: CN-0JFK4W-74261-53J-478L

Rev: A03

Windows 7, GTX580. Stock configuration. (no overclocking of GPU or monitor)

Problem is reproducible when connected via DP, miniDP and HDMI. Currently running on DP(GPU) -> miniDP(Monitor)

GPU has DP, HDMI, and 2 dvi outputs (one DVI - VGA capable).

Tried stock settings, even tried a suggestion from a 3rd party site to bring down the colour levels. Flickering did reduce (not disappear) but the colour is really recessed at those settings.

Have done all troubleshooting norms (factory reset, change of ports (as mentioned earlier), tested at different resolutions)

Windows power plan: High performance, PCI-e Link State Off

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 60Hz

Also another issue:

Monitor will not detect pre-OS low resolution video output (e.g. BIOS/memtest) on first try. I will have to switch off and on the monitor (via power button, no need to unplug) 1-5 times before it will display. I have done the same troubleshooting and also tried another monitor connected (via both HDMI/DP depending on whether the U2414H  was connected via DP/HDMI) and the monitor always displays the screen while the U2414H does not until resetting it as mentioned.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it with an ASUS laptop but it is still reproducible. However, I noticed that I made an error in the original post "Problem is reproducible when connected via DP, miniDP and HDMI. Currently running on DP(GPU) -> miniDP(Monitor)". Both problems are only reproducible in DP and miniDP. HDMI works fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2016 08:00

Can you replicate the issues when testing the U2414H and the same video cables on a different computer?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2016 15:00

Since still inside the 3 year warranty period, you may initiate a monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement monitor does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original monitor. If the replacement monitor has the same issue, I doubt that they both could be defective. Send the replacement monitor back to Dell. Look to the cabling, video card drivers, or video card as the culprit.

No Events found!