Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2014 05:00

U2414H / U2312HM chained via DP - 14H flashes on & off, 12HM goes to sleep

I just added a U2414H to my existing U2312HM.  They're driven by an AMD FirePro V3900 (Windows 7 x64) with DVI and DP ports and are connected like so:

Computer V3900 DP --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> U2414H mDP in

U2414H DP out --> BizLink DP to DP cable --> U2312HM DP in

They are both turned on end, portrait-style, and joined to make one Eyefinity group for a single, large desktop.  Sometimes they'll work fine all day.  Other times, especially after being turned off (with the computer) and then on again at a later time, the 2312 will go into--and stay in--sleep mode and the screen on the 2414 will turn on and off.  If this happens, it usually starts right when the login screen comes up, though it has ocurred long after startup.  When blinking, the screen-off duration is usually only a second or two, the on duration varies dramatically from a few seconds to several minutes.  If I put the computer to sleep and then wake it up, that will sometimes bring the 2312 back on and stop the 2414 from blinking, but not always, and usually not for very long if it does.

I tried reverting back to the original DVI connection for the 2312 and used the DP - DP cable to attach the 2414 with no cable linking the monitors to each other.  With these connections, the 2313 will stay on with no problem.  The 2414 will still occasionally blink as before.  Curiously, if I leave the 2312 connected via DVI but switch the cable connecting the computer to the 2414 from the BizLink DP - DP to the Dell-supplied DP - mDP, I lose resolution.  The maximum (and only) resolution option drops to 960x680 across both screens!  Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

One note: I tried to follow Chris M's "Instructions before you post a monitor question".  I restored factory defaults and performed self-tests on both monitors but I could only do the Built-In Diagnostic on the 2312.  I couldn't get "buttons" 1 and 4 depressed on the 2414 in such a way that the screen would go grey.  I kept trying for the entire self-test period but could only manage to get the input selection to appear.  It usually takes me 3-5 tries at the power "button" to turn the monitor on or off, so I wasn't too surprised.  Frustrated, yes... but not surprised.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 16th, 2014 06:00

Set the U2414H back to landscape and then attempt to run the BID (Built-in Diagnostic). Test both monitors in landscape in the Eyefinity group for a single, large desktop.

April 16th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.  I changed both monitors to landscape, etc., but I again was unable to get the 2414 to enter BID mode.  I don't know if it's a button issue or what, but when I pressed buttons 1 and 4 together, one of four things would happen:

1. Nothing.  Often it would take 2-3 attempts before the monitor would register a pressed button.
  2. The input selection menu would appear and nothing else would happen, at which point I would have to press the "X" button to close it, which would also usually take 2-3 presses.
  3. The input selection menu would appear and the highlight bar would keep scrolling through the selections, as if I had pushed and held only button 1.
  4. The input selection menu would appear for a moment, then the screen would go blank.  It was at this point that I thought I succeeded but the self-diagnostic window would then pop up for an instant, shut off, and the input menu would appear again.  If I kept the buttons pressed, it would keep repeating this pattern until I let go.  If I released when the self diagnostic window was visible, it would just stay that way.  If I released when the menu was visible, it would stay that way and I would have to "X" out of it, at which point the diagnostic window appeared again.

Unless there is some other way to get to the BID, I don't think it's going to happen with the 2414.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 17th, 2014 09:00

Get Dell Customer Service for your country to exchange the U2414H.
* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open "FAQ Monitor"
* Open "Exchange instructions. No Dell Service Tag number on 24" and smaller? No registration?"

April 19th, 2014 13:00

Easier said than done!  First, Chris, thank you for your advice.

I'm posting this follow-up in case it is useful for someone else.  Yesterday I contacted customer service and they couldn't help me without an order number (I bought the monitor from an online retailer, not Dell).  I was transferred to tech support to create one.  After about an hour of that process, I was disconnected, but at least I had a number!  I didn't call back then because I had to leave for work.  Today I called customer service with the newly-created number but was again bumped to tech support because--I was told--they're the ones who process the exchanges.  After getting disconnected once, the guy at tech support said my order number was cancelled.  After verifying the serial and model number, puchase date, retailer, etc. we were finally able to proceed.  I explained the problems I was having with the display and the inability to perform the BID.  Some hold time later, he comes back on the phone to tell me that he can do an exchange but since it was purchased somewhere other than Dell, my brand-new monitor would be exchanged for a refurbished model.  If I wanted a new one, I'd have to go through the company from whom it was purchased.

Buyer beware!

April 30th, 2014 14:00

I just took delivery of my replacement U2414H.  I hooked it and my existing U2312HM to my machine (AMD FirePro V3900 with DVI and DP ports / Windows 7 x64) as before with both monitors in landscape position:

Computer V3900 DP --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> U2414H mDP in

U2414H DP out --> BizLink DP to DP cable --> U2312HM DP in

Both monitors came on after login with duplicate desktops.  I changed the setting on 2414 to enable DP1.2.  As soon as I did, the 2312 went blank--into power save mode--and the 2414 began to flicker.  I shut the computer down and restarted.

Both monitors came on with duplicate desktops for ~15 seconds, then the 2312 went black; 2414 stayed on.

Went into settings on 2414 and disabled DP1.2.  2312 came back on.  I went into settings on 2414 and enabled DP1.2.  Both monitors blinked and came on for ~15 seconds, at which point the 2312 went black; 2414 stayed on.

Opened AMD FirePro Control Center and created a 2x1 diplay group.  Both monitors came on showing a single desktop across their full width for ~20 seconds.  2312 went black and 2414 stayed on showing the left half of the desktop.

I shut down the machine and attempted the BID.  This is where I was unsuccessful last time; I couldn't even get to the BID.  Well, after NUMEROUS unsuccessful attempts pressing buttons 1 and 4 (the only thing that happened is the input selection window would show), I finally saw the elusive grey screen!  I pressed button four to scroll through the different color screens as described.  I pressed button 4 to exit and got an image with the words "Dell Diagnostic Test Pattern" repeated in increasing fonts, first in black on white and then in white on black, in the center of the screen.  One more push of button 4 returned me to the self-test screen.

I shut everything down, disconnected the 2312 completely, leaving only the 2414 connected via miniDP to DP, and powered back up.  The login screen flashed on and off; on for an instant and off for several seconds.

I have removed the brand-new 2414 from the system and reverted back to the 2312 as the only monitor, connected DP to DP with the Bizlink cable, with no problems.

Did I just get another bum monitor, has this model been rushed into production before the bugs were worked out, or am I doing something wrong on my end that's creating problems?  Man, this is frustrating!  Any thoughts, Chris?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 1st, 2014 11:00

The card itself supports DP 1.2 and so does the monitor. It has to be something in the AMD Eyefinity software or the driver.

May 8th, 2014 00:00

If that's the case, the monitor should run okay by itself, right?  I mean, the old (2312) monitor works perfectly when it's hooked up DP to DP by itself.  If the problem is with the chaining, I would expect the new (2414) monitor to work problem-free when hooked up DP to DP by itself also.  Unfortunately, when I use the 2414 only, the screen blinks off several times a minute, for random lengths of time and at varying intervals.  I made sure to install the driver from the disc that came with the monitor but it still blinks off.  If the problem was with the card or it's driver or software, wouldn't both monitors react the same way?

May 21st, 2014 20:00

I contacted AMD and--surprise--they think it's a problem with the DP port on the monitor.  I copied this entire post so they could see the history of everything I've tried.  They suggested I further troubleshoot the monitor by hooking it up to its HDMI input using both a DVI to HDMI adapter and a DP to HDMI adapter.  That would test both my card's outputs.  Well, I only bought the DVI-HDMI adapter because nobody in my little town has a DP-HDMI adapter in stock and, frankly, I'm tired of paying money into this monitor.  With the 2414 hooked up by itself via its HDMI port to the HDMI-DVI adapter to the DVI port on my video card, the 2414 works just fine; no problems at all.  Unless you can think of something else, Chris, I'm convinced the problem lies with the monitor's DP input(s), which because that means spending another $19 to send this second monitor back to the seller.  This time, though, I think I'll just get a refund.  With the adapter and two shipping charges, I'll be $55 in the hole with nothing to show for it.  Any ideas?

May 25th, 2014 11:00

Anyone know if there is a more recent revision than A00?  I don't see this info on Dell's site.

No Events found!