Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2014 01:00

U2414H randomly turns off

hi, i've searched everywhere for this issue but i can't seem to find a solution for it. I bought my u2414h monitor yesterday and it sometimes randomly switches off while i'm using it. i've tried resetting it, unplugging the cables but it still happens. there isn't a fixed pattern of the occurrence. its pretty annoying because it affects me when i'm gaming as I'd have to manually press the power button to turn it on again. Also, where do i find the service tag for the monitor? I want to register my warranty but I can't find the service tag.

details:
u2414h
custom built pc
windows 7
nvidia gtx760 (DVI, HDMI, DP)
using miniDP from monitor to DP in video card (using the cable that came with the monitor)

Thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

Does it turn off and one second later it turns on again?
Did you tried HDMI/DP output from your GPU in another monitor?

If the answer to the first question is yes, it seems to be a "link loss" issue. There are 3 possible culprits in this case:
-Faulty GPU drivers (pretty common with nvidia, suffered from this with my old geforce 7000 series, solved with a driver downgrade - to and older version-)

-Faulty GPU

-Faulty monitor

March 4th, 2014 07:00

it turns off for at least 5 seconds before i can switch it on again. when it switches off, i hear a sound that is produced when a usb cable is unplugged. also, how does my gpu cause the monitor to switch off?

March 4th, 2014 08:00

My u2414h does this to, annoying as to say the least. I have updated my nvidia drivers and installed the firmware on the disc that came with the screen. Multiple cable used but no difference. Now I'm out of ideas so if this is not resolved I will have to return it.

March 5th, 2014 06:00

I must say that I'm amazed by Dell's utter lack of interest in this problem, I have tried my 2414 on one desktop via DP, mDP and HDMI with 2 different cables. I have also connected it to two different laptops, my XPS 15 and an older Siemens but the display shuts down randomly in every imaginable combination I can try. I thought I would try Dell because the 2414 does have the look and lots of people claim that they are good monitors but it's the last time I will ever buy a Dell screen, I have already ordered another Eizo and my u2414h will go back to Dell again.

Oh, it's a good thing you (Dell) took your time to edit my previous post, to bad you couldn't spend some time answering the question! 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 5th, 2014 07:00

The DCF (Dell Community Forum) is designed to be primarily a user to user Forum. It is not a replacement for contacting Dell Technical Support/Customer Service. The Forum AI automatically removes character substitution. It does sound like your monitor was faulty. Dell Customer Service could have exchanged it on request.

March 5th, 2014 07:00

This problem is fairly common and reports started comming in right after the release so it feels like they have had plenty of time to resolve the problem by now but no one seems to know whats wrong. Dell would most likely have exchanged it for me but I feel I don't have the time to ship monitors back and forth when I need to buy 2 tripple head setups. To big of a risk to take to buy 5 more when the first one is a lemon. Eizo has always worked wonders for me making the decision easy.

But I really like the look and slim bezel of the 2414. If only the hardware would have matched the design...

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

March 5th, 2014 10:00

@elementerzen
I said GPU MAY be the cause, one of three possible causes. Or two if you include drivers. In HDMI/DP, a link must be established/negotiated. The monitor is passive on this negotiation startup but after that any fault in one of the endpoints.

March 10th, 2014 12:00

I see. Okay new observation: even with my computer switched off the screen randomly switches off AND on. Also, the menu button has started randomly being pressed as well. can this conclude it's a hardware issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 10th, 2014 17:00

Sure. Read this.

39 Posts

March 17th, 2014 11:00

This is happening on one of my 6 U2414H screens. My take is that is a hardware issue with the touch buttons and completely unrelated to the DP communication issues.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2014 04:00

I'm having the same problem. I have 2 of these U2414H monitors, and 2 P2411H's. The bottom monitors will randomly flicker completely off, then come back on in in a few seconds. OR... Everything will shut off until restarted except for one of the P2411H's. What's really interesting about this? If I go into display settings... it thinks that my active monitor is actually an U2414H. How do I know this? The dropdown box inside the display settings shows up and says that I am connected on a miniDP port... which the P2411H doesn't have. Something is clearly very wrong with the U2414H's--and lots of people are having these problems. Also, this is the 2nd set of U2414H's that have done this to me. I returned the first set to amazon within 30 days and now am at the same spot. What's the story Dell?

2 Posts

May 12th, 2014 05:00

So, I called Dell and figured out what happened:

Resellers are not allowed to return a bad batch of Dell Monitors to Dell. As such resellers are selling these old, bad monitors to get rid of their stocks--thus forcing customers to endure, or send them back to Dell for a refurbished version.

Again, there is a hardware problem with these monitors. If you call Dell and the monitors are in warranty they will send you a refurbished version. Also, some monitors may not have a service tag on them so you will not get into the system online--you'll need to call them.
(Addition = ONLY the Dell 27" and larger monitors get a service tag number.)

On the plus note dealing with Dell over the phone was a breeze, and it seems it'll all be fixed using overnight deliveries via UPS. Very cool.

39 Posts

May 12th, 2014 14:00

Interesting aeon827,do. Do you know if there is a new hardware revision or what do you mean by old and new U2414Hs?

No Events found!