Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AA

9 Posts

February 11th, 2019 05:00

U2417H, screen tinting in Photoshop or 3ds Max

I recently purchased two U2417H through Dell. They are connected to my custom built workstation via the DP to mDP cables provided in the box with the U2417H. The workstation is running dual Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) video cards in SLI.

The issue arises when either working in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 or Autodesk 3ds Max 2018. While working, it appears that certain commands are making the screen tint (or possibly switch to a different display preset like Multimedia). This happens on both monitors exactly the same. It is not simply just tinting the canvas or 3D view port either, it is tinting the entire screen, software menus and all. It definitely seems to be a monitor issue as I cannot capture the screen tint change in screenshots (which leads me to believe everything is leaving the video card correctly).

For example, while working on an image in Photoshop, I applied a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer. While adjusting the slider for brightness, my monitor decides to tint to a different temperature. Taking the slider back down and it will return to it's original "standard" setting.

I have tried every hardware configuration I can think of and followed any solutions listed in other threads.
- Tried without SLI and each video card individually
- Tried with and without the monitor driver installed
- Tried with and without DDM installed with a myriad of different settings (auto, manual, etc.)
- Tried with and without the DDC/CI setting enabled and disabled

I'm really at a loss here. This issue makes these U2417H unusable to me as they are as color accuracy is very important in my job; not to mention the changing back and forth in front of my eyes is irritating while working.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

February 11th, 2019 07:00

February 12th, 2019 07:00

Confirmed that this is not an issue on a separate monitor (Dell E2417H) running to the same displayPort in the same video card with the same drivers and configuration.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 12th, 2019 09:00

Neither Dell nor our monitor manufacturer test on the 3rd party Photoshop or 3ds Max. You would have to post the issue on their respective Forums to get advice from other users of their software.

* Do you see these issue when just using the operating system, browsers, etc. Things that we can replicate in the lab?

* I would also test =

Titan X #1 DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> both U2417H mDP in ports
Titan X #2 DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> both U2417H mDP in ports
Titan X #3 DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> both U2417H mDP in ports

Titan X #1 DP out port --> retail DP to DP cable --> both U2417H DP in ports
Titan X #2 DP out port --> retail DP to DP cable --> both U2417H DP in ports
Titan X #3 DP out port --> retail DP to DP cable --> both U2417H DP in ports

Titan X HDMI out port --> retail HDMI to HDMI cable --> both U2417H HDMI in ports

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 12th, 2019 10:00

I am curious to see when they were built, factory ID, etc. Click my name and private message me both of the U2417H service tag numbers, 20 digit serial numbers, A0x numbers (shown after the 20 digit).

February 12th, 2019 10:00

Thank you for the reply, Chris.

I've gone through many more troubleshooting steps since my initial post that have led me to believe it's something with the monitor making this change.

I tried all of the ports on my Titans as you recommended. I've also tried HDMI with the same result. I also tried plugging my laptop into one of the monitors via HDMI and saw the same color shift (so that's two different input sources reproducing the same problem).

As for the software, I've reached out and no one has seen anything similar to this. My experience with the software over the last decade has also never seen anything like this with any monitor setup. While I'm running the software and get the color shift, it will affect my desktop and icons if I have the window set to be not full screen. Note that the color shift does not "jump" across to the other monitor, it only happens on the monitor that I've interacted with.

I was able to reproduce the color shift on the Nvidia GeForce forums within Chrome earlier this morning. It would change the screen color while scrolling and then revert back to the "Standard" color when I stopped.

February 27th, 2019 06:00

Hello Chris,

I wanted to expand a little on what I found through some more troubleshooting. It may spark an idea in your head since you know how this system works better than I.

Firstly, similar to what you've said above, I do not think there is anything wrong with the monitors themselves either. I semi-confirmed this last night.

It seems that if I'm working and do the same process to repeat the screen tinting with the DDM window open (Right click icon in notification area ---> Open Dell Display Manager...), the error does not present itself. If I do the same process, but with the DDM closed to the notification area, the screen tinting will happen. I've tried both the current 1887 version, as well as the version on my U2417H driver page (version 1610), and both show the same behavior. If it helps, this also happens on Windows 10 64-bit versions 1803 and 1809 (I've tested on both updates).

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 27th, 2019 07:00

What happens if you uninstall DDM, reboot the PC, then retest?

February 27th, 2019 09:00

Uninstalled DDM, powered down, rebooted, and the screen tinting is present.

February 27th, 2019 11:00

Is it possible to check to make sure that DDM is totally removed? I remember seeing a thread about if two versions are installed at the same time (or one of them wasn't fully uninstalled properly) it can create some havoc.

Other than that idea, all I've got is that when the monitors don't "see" DDM when it's minimized, is that it's using some other method to choose a preset mode, but I have no idea what that would be.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 27th, 2019 11:00

Very odd issue. I do not think it is hardware related. Perhaps a search through the registry for DDM? A daunting task. You might ask the users on the Productivity Software board if they have used free registry checkers.Be sure to save the registry prior to making any changes.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 28th, 2019 07:00

An unlike monitor exchange is not possible. All you can do is return the U2417H. Then purchase the U2412M.

February 28th, 2019 07:00

Thanks, Chris. I'm trying to get the return/exchange process started, but no one is answering my private messages anymore. I've read through the process, but just don't think this model of monitor is going to work in my scenario. I have a couple of U2412M at home that have been flawless for me and would like to exchange these for those (and pay whatever the difference is, if necessary).

February 28th, 2019 08:00

Perfect, thanks Chris. That's what I was looking for.

No Events found!