Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2020 01:00

U2419HC, P2419HC, daisy chain not working?

I am unable to daisy chain my newly purchased U2419HC.
* Surface Book 2
* Windows 10 2004
* NVIDIA GTX 1060 (stock)
* Connectivity:
Surface B2 GTX 1060  (USB Type-C) out port --> U2419HC USB Type-C cable --> U2419HC USB Type-C in port (- MST On) display works---> daisy chained -->
U2419HC DP out port --> P2419HC DP to DP cable --> P2419HC DP in port --> No Display

Troubleshooting performed:

• Verified correct DP in and out plug ins.
  • On the P2419HC- DP 1.2 enabled - tested by disabling it. No change.

Error on P2419HC, no DP signal from device.

@Chris M- I thought this set up should just work. Am I missing something?

6 Posts

May 26th, 2020 06:00

I was able to resolve the issue a while later after coming to help here. No complains, I understand, not all scenarios can be tested or confirmed w/out testing.

This is what I did to fix it--> I swapped the monitors. Nothing else. Just re-arranged the monitors from primary to slave and vice versa.

Not Working:

Surface book 2- > USB Type-C to U2419HC USB Type-C -> U2419HC DP out -> P2419HC DP in

Working:

Surface book 2- > USB Type-C to P2419HC USB Type-C -> P2419HC DP out -> U2419HC DP in

The only pinch is that, now I have 2 USB type-C monitors ($100 more than non type-c sibling).

So a suggestion to fellow Dell Monitor fans, if you have a mix of models, follow the order.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 25th, 2020 10:00

@Shady001  That should indeed just work.  Have you verified that the DP cable you're using for the daisy chain connection works?  And have you verified that the P2419HC's DP input works when used outside of a daisy chain setup?

Also, does Windows Display Settings even detect that second display even if it's not sending any video to it, or does it not register a second display being there at all?

6 Posts

May 26th, 2020 06:00

@jphughan 

Windows Display Settings even detect that second display? No it did not. But as per my solution, it detected immediately when P2419HC was set as Primary and U2419HC daisy chained to it.

Also a suggestion, in private message I was referred to a document which mentioned to use USB type-C to mDP cable to connect to the first monitor- firstly, it doesnt matter, a usb type-c to type-c cable is just good enough (as long as the monitor support). Secondly, the monitor is not provided with a USB type-C to mDP cable.

So I think the document could be updated/reviewed.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 26th, 2020 07:00

@Shady001  Glad you're sorted.  Swapping the sequence of the displays shouldn't have been necessary, and I don't know why it made a difference, but the tech world is full of problems that shouldn't exist but do.  As for the USB-C to mDP suggestion, I'm not sure why that was suggested at all.  First, those would be used to connect a USB-C laptop to an mDP display, except the display doesn't have an mDP input at all (though a USB-C to DP cable would have worked).  And if the suggestion was to use that cable with the mDP side plugged into the Surface and the USB-C side plugged into the display, that definitely wouldn't have worked because you can't feed a USB-C input from a regular DisplayPort output.  But either way, using that type of cable would have meant you would have lost the ability to carry power and USB 3.x data over the cable the way you can with USB-C.

All that said, making a suggestion to try a cable that isn't included with the display isn't unusual.  Displays never come with all possible cables that could be used to connect any source system to any input on the display, after all.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 26th, 2020 18:00

@Shady001  just out of curiosity, did you confirm that the U2419HC was running the latest firmware when you were testing with it as the primary display?  The latest version available on support.dell.com as of this writing is M3T107.

6 Posts

May 26th, 2020 22:00

@jphughan Yes, it was running (and still) on M3T107.

6 Posts

May 26th, 2020 22:00

@jphughan Same thoughts. Unfortunately, at this time I am not in a position to troubleshoot it further (I used to work at Dell back in 2012) but the itch is not dead yet :), I will circle back to it once I can spare sometime and will go through the setup again. I will share my results for the benefit of Dell Community.

1 Message

May 31st, 2020 03:00

Hi,

Do you able to get the USB ports including type C in slave monitor to work as well? I am thinking of doing daisy chain using two P2419HC monitors. Alternatively I could use P2419HC and P2419H respectively as master and slave combination.

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 13:00

No, we cannot get the type C in slave monitor to work as there is only ONE type-C port in the primary (any monitor) and the laptop. Which consumes the connection between the laptop and the primary monitor.

From the primary monitor to the slave (secondary monitor) it is the Display Port.

Be careful of setting the P-series as the slave- for me it didnt work. I have to use the the U2419HC as the slave.

No Events found!