Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

February 2nd, 2013 01:00

U2713H Card Reader Not Working.

Ok, so after three exchanges from the original purchase, I finally received a U2713H with a good panel (no dead or stuck pixels, no scratches, etc..).  That was a month ago.

Today, I tried connecting the USB3.0 B-port (or what the manual calls the "upstream port") on the monitor to one of the USB3.0 female A-ports on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard and Device Manager shows generic USB hubs, but it doesn't see the card reader. Instead there's an "Unknown Device". I've tried plugging it into all four of my USB3.0 ports and have tried updating my USB3.0 firmware and drivers.

When I plug a different USB3.0 device into my 3.0 ports, the different device works fine.

When I plug the U2713H into my USB2.0 ports, everything is detected (USB hub(s) and card reader), but of course all of the USB3.0 ports on the U2713H then run only USB2.0 speeds and the card reader won't read / write as fast as it should.

I am running Windows 8 Pro. x64 and have all of the latest Windows updates installed along with all of the updated drivers and firmware for all of my hardware.

I have also installed everything on the CD that came with the U2713H as well as updated everything that the CD installed.

Anyone know how to get the card reader working?

I looked at the customer reviews on Dell's U2713H product page and saw at least one review where the user also had problems with the card reader on this monitor.

I purchased the three year advanced replacement and extended warranties for this monitor.  I called Dell tech support yesterday (Friday, February 2, 2013) and was transferred multiple times to people that did not sound like they knew what they were doing.  All I was trying to get was a new U2713H to replace this defective one.

What's the point of purchasing these warranties if Dell makes it so difficult to get a replacement?

120 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 03:00

Chris, I went to the Dell technical support site and entered both my U2713H's service tag number and express service code, but both were not found.

Can you help me with this?  I did go through many exchanges with this monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

I said weeks (plural). No. That website does not send out an email. All you can do is periodically check the site.

Yeah, sorry, I thought I'd hit S, clearly not - thanks for confirmation.

You say it will take week (thats fine) should we expect an email confirmation or something when the assignment has been completed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

It will take many weeks for an exchanged service tag to be assigned to a user on the website.

120 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 11:00

The last exchange was made in late January / early February.  How many weeks exactly?  It's been a few months...

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 15:00

Ok, so i got my replacement monitor today after calling dell Europe and explaining everything to them (they hadn't heard of the issue which worried me at the time) and forwarding them to this thread. The manager "skim" read the forum thread and approved the replacement.

They asked me to email them my serial number and in this email i also stated "Please could you check that the replacement monitor is the NEW FIXED version and not a refurb or old version."

I had a feeling that I would get an old monitor and of course I got the A01 revision manufactured in November 2012. I'm guessing its not the fixed monitor and needless to say its going back with the guy who's coming to pick up my old monitor on Thursday and I'm going to have to call again tomorrow.

I'm not sure how else to put it to them to make sure I get a fixed monitor.

Is there any more information i can give them to make sure I get a fixed one? Have they even been manufactured yet? Should I bother to test the A01? Has the fix been applied to older monitors? Chris you mentioned that we should ask for new monitors. You mean ones manufactured in April?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 16:00

I mean the exchange should be setup as New, not Used in our tool.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 17:00

I can't use the tool. It doesn't work for anything outside the USA. I did this >> Contact Dell Technical Support for your country. Explain that you have the issue of the U2713H Card Reader and USB ports not working via USB3.0.... Tell them to create a NEW monitor exhange. A USED/refurbished monitor exchange will send out monitors that have NOT been fixed.

I got a November monitor. The European Dell Tech support guys here seem to have no idea about this problem. If i tell them exactly this again i'll get another A01. I just wanted to know if there is something that I can tell them that will let them know they have the right monitor. I don't mind getting a new screen every few weeks until the right one comes, just trying to help you guys. :)

21 Posts

April 25th, 2013 06:00

but has anyone had their A02 revision and these problems are fixed (maybe not the dp1.2 issue anyway soudns possibly a nvidia thing)? how can we verify to the support team that we need a new version abofve A01 / A02? i cant let my monitor go away and wait for a new one i cant work at home.. i dont get paid etc!?if so do they deliver the new one then take the old one?

21 Posts

April 25th, 2013 06:00

i had same problem with service tag webpage outside of usa selection it seemed to work for me only after setting the us to uk in the stringer header link in your browser ..  " www.onlineregister.com/dell "     (the c=us <<  part) i changed it to uk and i thin kit took.. as it responded after putting in address etc,, i have a01 rev and sdcard crashes win8 and i have a titan nvidia(so i guess we wait for new drivers on the dp 1.2 issues?)

21 Posts

April 26th, 2013 03:00

also ive tried 3.20 beta nvidiasdrivers with the Titan card still has the dp1.2 problem.. but its supposed to have dp1.2 fixes within for 600 series? so maybe those with 670/80/90 cards can test..?

3 Posts

April 26th, 2013 15:00

I knew if I called Dell Tech Support (USA) too soon, they wouldn't know what I was talking about. So I waited until today. Today was too soon. I think any day would be too soon.

Chris, I read your post word-for-word. She had no idea what I was talking about. I offered to email them the link to your post. She said she couldn't receive emails. Plus, she didn't want it "because it was off a forum, and you probably don't work for Dell."

She made me go through a "troubleshooting procedure," so I could tell her the same thing again. So far I have fifty minutes on this phone call and on hold again.

I just read her the 90-character http address of this page and am holding again while she checks "additional resources." Over a hour phone call so far.

She's refusing a new monitor exchange because I've had it over thirty days. I explained (again!!!) that wouldn't do any good. She starts to read me the thirty day-policy. I just asked for a supervisor. Call time 1:15.

Didn't get a supervisor. She said she could request from another department to have a new monitor sent, but she couldn't guarantee it. I asked, "So you're going to send me a monitor, and it could be refurbished or new? "Yes" was the answer. And if I wasn't willing to accept the chance of getting refurbished monitor, she would have to stop processing the request.

She also said it wasn't a known defect. If it was, none of the USB ports would be working.

Chris, is the U2713H card reader/USB 3 defect ya'lls little secret in Austin? Now what should I do?

1:25 total call time with no resolution. Embarrassingly bad.

21 Posts

April 27th, 2013 07:00

we need clear instructions as ill be calling uk dell this week and i want to tell them exactly what rev version and *NEW* exchange details they/I/We need before sending  a new one.... in case they to dont know what we're on about?

6 Posts

April 27th, 2013 07:00

I was told by UK Dell that they can't guarantee the revision will be the correct one so I doubt they know yet.

No Events found!