Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 4th, 2013 20:00

U2713H Defective USB 3.0

I recently purchased a Dell U2713H (Rev A01) and immediately noticed the USB 3.0 hub does not work properly.  If I connect it to a USB 2.0 port on my motherboard or use a USB 2.0 device, then it works fine, but if I use a USB 3.0 port on my motherboard and USB 3.0 device, then it does not work.  It either fails to recognize the device or causes the device to cycle between connect/disconnect.  Basically any time the chip to use USB 3.0 is enabled it fails to function.   If you bought this monitor, then you really got a USB 2.0 port.

My guess is this issue is related to  U2713H Card Reader Not Working as other people appear to have had similar issues.  Worse yet, the Dell representative advises people to contact Dell for a "New/Fixed" replacement but there are horror stories in the same thread of people being sent back refurbished units with the same broken USB 3.0.

Why hasn't Dell issued a recall for this product?  I'd wager a large number of people who own this monitor who are unaware of this issue because they plug the cable into an older USB port or use flash drives that don't support USB 3.0.  Since the Dell representative commented they spoke with engineers about the issue and it is now "fixed", it was probably a design flaw.

Even though I could go through the trouble of a warranty, I've only owned the monitor for one day and I refuse to do an in-warranty replacement on a product I just bought.  Luckily, the place I purchased it from does not have a restocking fee.

Does anyone with a U2713H have a working USB 3.0 hub?  Meaning you've plugged into a USB 3.0 port and used a USB 3.0 device.

And yes I've tried other cables, other computers, and other USB 3.0 devices.  All with the same results.  My motherboard is an Asus X87 Pro running windows 7 64 bit with all of the latest BIOS/driver/firmware.

10 Posts

July 6th, 2013 13:00

Unfortunately going to the Dell website and downloading the latest driver was the very first thing I did when I started having problems.

Since the Dell liaison "Chris M" indicated the problem was hardware and affected monitors would need to be replaced, I'm guessing you have one of the newer/fixed models, and just happen to have the wrong driver.  For the majority of owners, though, the USB 3.0 hardware is defective, which is why I returned the unit.

24 Posts

I also have a recently purchased U2713H that I obtained directly from Dell Small Business.  Initially I had similar problems with the USB 3 capability.  It was very flaky with the xRite iDisplay when I used the Dell Ultrasharp Color Calibration Solution 1.0.1.  It would work OK if I plugged the U2713H USB3 cable into a USB2 port just as you found.

I found that my Dell T7600 workstation with a NVidia Quadro K5000 needed a special Dell U2713H monitor driver downloaded from this page:  www.dell.com/.../dell-u2713h  Then I had to installed the driver manually using the Device Manager Monitor Update Driver  Software by browsing for the downloaded and extracted INF files.  

Once that was done the computer properly recognized the U2713H under the Device Manager Monitor listing.  And USB3 started working, even with a USB3 switch and an Anker 7-port USB3 hub in the path.  I get USB3 speeds with a WD USB3 Passport hard drive.

10 Posts

By the way, what revision do you have?

10 Posts

July 8th, 2013 16:00

Rev A02 is believed to be the fixed version. Unfortatenly since most distributors won't tell you what revision you are getting, it's dumb luck. I had Rev A01

24 Posts

July 8th, 2013 16:00

My U2713H has a build date of March 2013 and is Rev A02.  BTW Are you P Thompson on Amazon?  My name is Bill Wood and W6FXJ is my ham call sign.  (I was an Apollo tracker at Goldstone many years ago ;-)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 9th, 2013 15:00

ApolloX2,

Why hasn't Dell issued a recall for this product?
* There was no need. Revison A02 fixed this issue. The technical support representative simply needs to issue you a NEW monitor exchange to get A02.

Luckily, the place I purchased it from does not have a restocking fee.
* There is a strong chance that any "reseller" will have the older revisions (A00, A01). Which is why every consumer should purchase directly from Dell.

10 Posts

July 10th, 2013 09:00

If Rev A00 and A01 are defective, and Dell knows about this, then they should issue a recall for those revisions.

I don't accept the statement "every consumer should purchase directly from Dell".  Dell authorizes numerous sellers to market and sell their product.  Dell should either revoke the authorization or replace the older version from inventory before the customer even receives it.

Dell allowing "authorized" resellers to sell a knowingly defective product is tantamount to fraud.

No Events found!