Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2017 18:00

U2713H, ghosting issue!

So, I saw that a Dell U2713H was on sale at a local store for $399. Only 2 left. So, I jumped the gun and bought it. Unbeknownst to me is that this monitor is plagued by what you guys call "Reverse ghosting." Since this is an old monitor, I don't think the store will have anymore coming in, besides, that one monitor that is left. What do you guys think I should do? Here is a video of me trying to show the "ghosting". Do you guys think I should live with this? Or, try my luck with that one monitor that is left at the store? Otherwise, the screen is near perfect. No dead pixels, minimal IPS glow, good screen uniformity, etc. So, I am reluctant of returning it and getting a worse one. Is the ghosting normal? Minimal? Or, really bad? Also, the built-in USB hub creates a high pitched whiny buzz when I have it connected. So, I decided not to use it since I have another USB hub I can use.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2017 18:00

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I bought the monitor this week brand new for $399, plus tax. I guess, the store wanted to get rid of them. The other monitor that the store has left is also brand new.

But, I've decided to keep the monitor. I've managed to minimized the reverse ghosting by tweaking the color profile. I am also beginning to learn from researching the internet that the reverse ghosting has been an issue with this monitor since REV A00. My monitor is REV A08. So, if the reverse ghosting hasn't been fixed by now, then, I'm sure the other monitor that the store has left will also exhibit the same reverse ghosting dilemma. And, who knows, other issues.

I know how to deal with the buzzing built-in USB hub. Just not use it.

And, thanks for the MST advice. My laptop, which I was hoping to use MST for connecting two external monitors with my laptop is not compatible with DP 1.2; and/or, is not powerful enough.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I think my issue is solved. *DROPS MOUSE*

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

What is the 20 digit serial number and A0x revision?
Did the store tell you if this was new or Used?
What video out ports are on the computer to test on all U2713H video in ports (DP/mDP/DVI-D/HDMI) ?

* Go into the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Other Settings- Factory Reset
* Choose Reset all settings

* Go to Display Settings and verify it is using these settings
Aspect Ratio = Wide 16:10
Sharpness = 50
Uniformity Compensation = Off
Smart Video Enhance = Off
DislayPort 1.2 = Disable
* Go to Color Settings and verify it is using these settings
Input Color Format = RGB
Gamma = PC
Preset Modes = Standard
* Exit the OSD
* If installed, open the DDM (Dell Displays Manager)
* Click the tab Auto Mode
* For every application listed, change them to Standard

* Retest

3 Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

Hi,

The monitor was new. But, was half-off the price. I see why now.

S/N CN-0C6FOX-74261-53M-OAKL

REV A08

I have tried DP, miniDP, and DVI. I am using DVI since DVI is the only one when connected to my Mac that it doesn't report it as "Television."

The issue is the same whether I use any of the ports above. Except, for the Macintosh specific discrepancy of seeing the monitor as a "Television" when using either the DP, or miniDP port.

The store only has one left. And, I know this monitor is old and discontinued. So, I don't know what to do.

I guess, I'll do a "Factory Reset." But, I doubt that this will work...

Please, advice on whether this is an inherent design flaw and what course of action should I do?

Also, the built-in USB hub creates a high-pitched whining buzzing sound when it is connected.

Other weird issues include not being able to daisy-chain monitors using DP... and monitor losing signal when using DP....

So, many issues. What's going on?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 10th, 2017 15:00

Built on March 22, 2015. A08 is the latest revision I have seen. So almost 2 years old. If me, I would return it to them and ask for the other U2713H. Perhaps that one has had fewer previous owners. There are no inherent flaws. You may just have a defective monitor. The daisychain should work if DislayPort 1.2 MST is enabled on the first monitor in the chain. The second monitor must be using DP in or mDP in, no HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

The ports as you look at the rear of the U2713H =
DP in, mDP in, DVI in, HDMI in, DP out

There are multiple ways to setup the daisychain.

Computer video card DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> #1 U2713H mDP in port (DislayPort 1.2 MST Enabled)
#1 U2713H DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> #2 Monitor mDP in port
#1 U2713H DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> #2 Monitor DP in port

Computer video card DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> #1 U2713H DP in port (DislayPort 1.2 MST Enabled)

Computer video card mDP out port --> mDP to DP cable --> #1 U2713H DP in port (DislayPort 1.2 MST Enabled)

No Events found!