Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 17:00

U2713HM, DVI-D/DP 2560x1440 60Hz, VGA 2048x1152 60Hz, HDMI 1920x1080 60Hz, 2560x1440 30Hz

Hi.

I'be just received my new U2713HM monitor. I've connected it to my EVGA using the DVI cable and set the resolution to 1920x1080 and it all works fine. However, if I try to set any higher resolution the monitor gets fuzzy, with white dots all accross the screen. What am I missing here? 

Additional system info:
Windows 8 64-bit
Latest Nvidia drivers installed

11 Posts

October 5th, 2012 02:00

Hi Ravi.

The reset didn't worked.

However, the problema was fixed when I changed the DVI cable with the one that came with the monitor.after Reading the max resolution was only attainable with a Dual Link DVI cable.

Thanks for your help,

Joao

11 Posts

April 4th, 2013 17:00

Well I can confirm that the U2714HM doesn't support HDMI 1.4. Just got my highspeed cable, and can only yet 1080P out of it. Even tried creating custom resolutions via nvidia's control panel using same timings for horizonal and vertial that are uses for displayport at 1440P

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 4th, 2012 23:00

Hi Jpires,

I‘d advise you to reset the monitor to ‘Factory Reset’ and check if this resolves the issue. Please refer to steps mentioned below to reset the monitor to factory setting.

1. Open Onscreen menu from the monitor
  2. Go to ‘Other settings’ option.
  3. Under ‘Other settings’ you will find ‘Factory Reset’.
  4. Choose the ‘Factory Reset’ and check for the issue resolution.

Also, I’d need further information about the EVGA NVidia video card and Dell computer model if you are using a Dell computer

February 26th, 2013 22:00

Do you recall if it was a DVI-I or DVI-D cable. I am having the same problems and have tried 3 different cables already

March 6th, 2013 10:00

well, I have tried hdmi, hdmi 1.4, dvi-d dual link and my max resolution is 1920x 1080. I am at a quandry what to do :(

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 8th, 2013 10:00

TheJumpMaster,

What video card? Are the ports on the video card DVI-D DL?

March 9th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I am using the Saphire Radeon 6970 graphics card, the port I am using is the DVI port

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 10th, 2013 13:00

Did you test the DVI cable that shipped with the monitor?

Defined by Dell, HDMI is a video mode and not a graphics mode. Depending on the video card, the highest resolutions HDMI can do is 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. To get the higher resolutions, the source video card port would have to be DVI, DP, or VGA.

March 10th, 2013 23:00

My monitor came with a VGA and a HDMI cable only Should I try bwith my VGA cable?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 07:00

Yes.

548 Posts

March 13th, 2013 01:00

Dell does not define HDMI, but rather, HDMI is an industry standard initially set up by a consortium of founding members as indicated on the HDMI wiki.

As an industry standard, it is revised from time to time, going from the initial release of HDMI v1.0 to the current HDMI v2.0. During these revisions, obviously some improvements are made, for example, the "HDMI cables" were updated to 'HIGH SPEED HDMI cables', the later supporting higher than 1920x1080 resolutions (annoyingly, some parts of the HDMI spec are optional creating some confusion). Infact as of HDMI v1.4, we see increases to the maximum resolution to 4Kx2K, i.e. 3840×2160p (Quad HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz or 4096×2160p at 24 Hz (which is a resolution used with digital theaters). HDMI 2.0 will further increase QuadHD resolutions to 60Hz.

So, if the OP has issues with HDMI resolutions, he needs to consider a few things. He needs to consider the capabilities/version of the HDMI source (graphics card) and sink (monitor) to ensure they are capable of the resolution he desires. To this point, Dell can improve on the confusion, of its doing, by clearly specifying which version of HDMI a port is compliant with (for all Dell made/sold source and/or sink devices).

If a source device (graphics card) HDMI port is v1.4 or later, there is no reason to be unable to achieve higher than 1920x1080 resolutions if the corresponding sink device (monitor) HDMI port is also v1.4 or later and the source/sink device can natively output/display, say 2560x1440. Just use a high speed HDMI cable to connect the two devices and all should be well.

If Dell designs the monitors they sell with HDMI ports of a version 1.4, or less, despite the sink device native resolution being 2560x1440 like the U2711, as Dell considers such a port to be video only, then they should be very clear in their specification by explicitly stating which version of HDMI their design is complaint with. Dell should not use some 'airy fairy' reason that HDMI is video mode and not graphics mode and hence artificially limit to 1920x1080, rather Dell should be very clear in their specifications and state the standards version it is compliant with.

I've been a little repetitive, but be clear that i am peeved at Dells lack of clear specifications.

So to help me and others, what version of the HDMI spec does my U2711 Rev A06 monitor support?
To be super clear, what are the versions of the respective standards for all port on the U2711, that is the DVI, HDMI and DP ports versions and whether these ports are HDCP compliant. This should clearly defined within the U2711 specification!

548 Posts

March 13th, 2013 05:00

The sapphire HD 6970 has 1 x HDMI (with full HD and beyond, whatever that means), 2 x Mini-DisplayPort (supports ultra high resolutions, presumably 2560x1600 @60hz) , 1 x Single-Link DVI-D (supports 1920x1200) & 1 x Dual-Link DVI-I (supports 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz).

Sapphire, like Dell, is lax in clearly defining the specifications for their cards and make no reference to teh version for the link or port standard in question.. Seems they prefer fuzzy specifications like' full HD and beyond' rather than clearly stating HDMI version 1.4a supporting up to quad HD @ 24hz (now called ultra HD i believe). Just gota love it,.. not.

March 24th, 2013 05:00

i am using the DVI-D cable that came with my Dell 2713HM monitor, and connecting it to my Macbook Pro Retina with a Mini-display Port adaptor. I tried the Factory Reset method but my Dell monitor screen's resolution is only 1280x1440, when it should be reaching 2560x1440.

548 Posts

March 30th, 2013 20:00

To display the full resolution on the U2713, you need to use a 'dual link DVI cable' connected to a 'dual link capable DVI port'.

Now take note that not all DVI ports on PC graphics cards and PC motherboards are created the same. In fact some graphics cards can have 2x DVI ports of which one may be dual link capable, so you need to check the specs of the graphics card and/or motherboard to determine what maximum resolution each port is capable of. The wikipedia DVI article can be helpful to understand DVI interface and it's capabilities, use google, find it and read it..

Alternatively you could use a 'display port cable' connected to a 'display port port' (i'll call it a 'DP port' which reads easier). Unfortunately this interface adds it's own complexities to the equation, for example you can have a 'dual mode DP port' which can output DVI or HDMI via an adapter. However, 'dual mode DP ports' can only output a single link DVI output, so most if not all DP-DVI passive adapters can only support a maximum of 2098x1311 on a 16:10 monitor. Active adapters allow DP port to output true dual link DVI but these active adapters are rather expensive.

To add further confusion, 'dual mode DP port' version 1.1 became available (standard set) from Jan 2013 and these v1.1 'type 2' dual mode DP ports allows passive adapters that can provide true dual link DVI output. So again, you need to know the spec of the ports to know what it is capable w.r.t. resolution output. Again the wikipedia DP article can be helpful in understanding DP ports, so again, search, find, read.

Not much can be found about the miniDP port and the wiki article does not even discuss if dual mode capable and whether if can support type2 miniDP ports? Your dependent on Apple here and i'm not a fan of Apple.

But getting back to your issue, as i am not familiar with macbook, you need to determine what resolution the miniDP port supports (i think it can support max 2550x1600). Then, you need to determine the capabilities of the miniDP port (and whether is can provide dual DVI output via a passive adapter like dual mode DP type 2 ports). Lately, you need to determine if the adapter you have supports dual link DVI output. If all the answers are yes, only then should you see 2560x1440.

What makes these issues more difficult than they should be is that the manufacturers these days do not list proper specification with respect to the standards. Then when you question them, they say that they do not support other manufacturers equipment, this is particularly so for Apple where their solution would be for you to buy an apple display...

11 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 19:00

I recently bought a U2713HM, and currently have it hooked up @ 2560 x 1440 over DP. I just ordered a High Speed HDMI cable (1.4), my GTX Titan has HMDI 1.4. So I'll post back if the monitor supports HMDI 1.4 or not by the end of the week (when my cable comes).

No Events found!