Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2013 13:00

U2713HM Monitor - standard DVI cable / max resolution

Hello.  I have just received a U2713HM monitor (from the Dell Outlet) and connected to my video card (ATI Radeon HD 5450 in a Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop) with the included DVI cable.  I am allowed to select the maximum resolution (2560 x 1440) but when I do so everything goes "fuzzy" and "pixelated" in white.  If I lower the resolution to 1920 x 1080 then everything works fine.

In researching a little on my own, including a few similar issues posted here, I think my video card should certainly support 2560 x 1440 via the DVI port but that the cable that shipped with my monitor is single link instead of dual link (I verified this through another post in this forum that included a picture of what single and dual link connectors actually look like), and that dual link is required in order to get the max resolution to work correctly?

I'd appreciate if anyone could please confirm my assumption of what's going on and also that dual link DVI cables should come standard (through the Outlet also) with the U2713HM monitor given its resolution capabilities?  Or is there any other issue I may not be aware of that could be causing this problem instead?

Thanks so much.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 08:00

Contact Dell Technical Support. Tell them that the Dell Outlet sent you the incorrect cabling for your U2713HM monitor. Provide to them your monitor service tag number, email address, shipping address, phone number. Ask them to setup an order to send you the following missing cables:
HCX4X or MPGMR DVI-D DL cable
DN137 VGA cable
PN81N USB3.0 cable

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 15:00

LeeArch,

According to the online User Guide, you should have receved the following cables:
Power (Dell part number differs by country)
DN137 VGA 1.8m
HCX4X or MPGMR DVI-D DL 1.8m
PN81N USB3.0 1.8m

What is the 5 digit part number on the DVI cable you received?

3 Posts

August 20th, 2013 16:00

I'm not sure about the exact part number, but this is what is written on the DVI cable:

Hotron E246588 AMW Style 20276 VW-1

It does not have a yellow tag that another response indicated was typical for the packaged dual link type, and based on a second review of the connector pictures in that response, it is definitely not the dual link type:  instead of the 24 "pin" (3 x 8) pattern of the dual link, mine has a gap between two sets of 9 "pin" (3 x 3) pattern, just like the single link picture.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Since this is not a malfunction issue, but appears to be just a wrong part sent with the original delivery, what is the best contact method/department at this stage to get the correct dual link cable?

Thanks again.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 09:00

Thanks.  I did so while posting was inactive and quickly received the correct dual link cable.  Full resolution is working just fine now, no problems, and everything looks great.

No Events found!