Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2014 07:00

U2713HM, Unacceptable image retention, disappointing Dell customer support and warranty.

I received my new U2713HM less than a week ago. It's revision A00, manufactured in May of 2014. It's a beautiful large screen, and I was very excited to fire it up. It's perfect except for a horrible image retention problem. Leaving ANY light colored static window onscreen for as little as 10 minutes causes that image to temporarily be burnt into the screen and retained as a faint background image when you view something dark (ie. a video).

This monitor is a secondary monitor attached to my 2012 Macbook Pro via mini display port to display port cable. Monitor brightness is set to 53. All other settings are default.

I've never seen this issue with another monitor, and have used many monitors (including other IPS monitors) in single and dual monitor configurations. I just purchased a pair of Dell P2314H monitors for my office that do not have this problem.

Many people are very pleased with this monitor, and equally many seem to have this same problem. I wish I could recommend this monitor but this image retention problem on a brand new, premium monitor is unacceptable.

Dell support has been of zero assistance in this issue. I spent over an hour on the phone, was hung up on twice. The first tech attempted to pass the buck and said it was a software problem with my Macbook Pro, he wanted me to call Apple. Second tech said Dell would send me a replacement and then hung up on me. Last tech told me that I'd need the retailer's order number (the order the retailer placed for the monitor from Dell) in order to get any support from Dell.

Finally I gave up and contacted the retailer. I'll be returning the monitor to them. I later found the link below on this forum which provide procedures, as well as some surprising info (your "three year" warranty begins from the time your retailer receives the product, thus any time the product sits on a store shelf counts against your warranty period?!)

I'm sad to say that Dell's pathetic customer service in this case has likely cost them a customer. I guess I'll be replacing this monitor with another brand. If this had unfolded before I purchased monitors for my office I wouldn't have bought the P2314h's either.

If you do decide to purchase a Dell monitor be sure to buy a SquareTrade warranty!

Dell link

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 20th, 2014 11:00

Apologies, hanging up on you was disgraceful. If you decide to get an exchange through Dell, you must transfer the ownership of the service tag number into your name using the form. They were correct in one regard, we do not test on apple. The most I can say is that the apple proprietary thunderbolt ports are hit or miss connecting directly to our monitors. Some apple users have mentioned that using a thunderbolt to DP adapter has had success. Check the apple Discussions Forum and see what they say:
https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

October 21st, 2014 01:00

Thank you for your response Chris.  I believe that had you answered the phone when I called Dell's customer support last night my concerns would have been addressed much quicker and the conversation would have produced some kind of resolution.

After spending an hour and a half with various level I Dell techs I came across your post with the procedures for support for monitors purchased from other retailers.  That seems an odd situation to me, products purchased from major retailers are being treated as "grey market", and those consumers are being penalized with policies that are never enunciated until the need for support actually arises.  If fact, without your forum post those policies aren't even made clear then.  One of the techs I spoke to told me that he could only replace my monitor if I could provide the order number assigned when Sears purchased my monitor from Dell.  As if there is any plausible way for a consumer to gather that kind of information!

While I understand that Dell does not test it's monitors on Apple products, the image persistence issue seems to be platform-independent, unlike the RGB-YCbCr issue that seems to affect select Retina display equipped MacBooks.  What I'm left to determine is if the issue is one of design, largely guaranteeing that any U2713hm I try will produce the same outcome, or if I happened to get a bad copy.  I'll bring my MBP to work with me tomorrow and attempt to reproduce the problem on one of my P2314h's.

I was very excited about the U2713hm, and really looking forward to using it.  It seemed to offer a sweet spot in value and performance for a user such as myself.  However, I'm still disappointed by the image persistence issue, and appalled by the non-response to my attempts to get assistance with a serious problem with a premium product through Dell's "official" channels.  Failure to address that concern will cost Dell my business now and in the future.

Thanks for your help Chris.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 21st, 2014 17:00

Because the U2713HM has a Dell service tag number, it matters not where you purchased it. I can fill out the ownership transfer form for you. Once this is complete and the tag is in your name, you could then go through Dell to get a like for like monitor exchange. Click my username in blue, then click "Send a Private Message". Provide to me the following information -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Dell Service Tag:
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric PPID serial number:
Sellers data (as much as you can provide) :

October 22nd, 2014 02:00

Thanks for your offer Chris.  I've already discussed the issue with my retailer (Sears) and returned the monitor to them.  Again, your approach is the one that the techs at Dell's 1-800 customer service number should have taken, and I thank you for your willingness to help.

Before returning the monitor to Sears I considered filling out the form and going through Dell's process, but doing so would have put me at Dell's mercy as I would likely lose the opportunity to simply return the monitor to the retailer as defective and get my money back.  Additionally, without an idea of timeline or procedure, and with little guarantee of satisfaction through Dell support I chose the safe route.

When you say that "it matters not where you purchased it."

• Would I receive a full three year warranty, or would the warranty still begin at the time of the retailer's order from Dell?
  • How long does it take for the transfer of ownership to be processed?
  • What shipping service would be used to send a replacement monitor to Hawaii?
  • Would the monitor be replace with a brand new monitor or a returb (assuming the monitor being replaced was purchased less than 30 days ago)?

I am considering giving the U2713hm one more try in hopes of getting a unit that does not exhibit the image retention problem.  Alternatively, I may simply wait to read reviews of the new U2415.  I took my MBP to work today and connected it to one of my P2314h's.  I was unable to reproduce the image persistence problem, though I only had a few minutes to attempt it.

Thank you again for your assistance Chris.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 07:00

Would I receive a full three year warranty, or would the warranty still begin at the time of the retailer's order from Dell?
* I am in discussion with the team about this. Our policy is confusing to me too.
* Buying directly from our website:
- Will assure you of the full warranty period
- You will get the newest revision. Sears may have an older one
- You may add years 4 and 5 to the warranty

How long does it take for the transfer of ownership to be processed?
* 7 to 10 business days.

What shipping service would be used to send a replacement monitor to Hawaii?
* I think it is FedEx.

Would the monitor be replace with a brand new monitor or a returb (assuming the monitor being replaced was purchased less than 30 days ago)?
* Inside 30 days from the day the tag is in your name would be a new exchange.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2014 09:00

Thank You BadKitty808 and Dell-Chris M.

This post has given me very useful information about the my recent purchase of Dell P2714H monitor from Newegg.  I had the same concerns especially since I purchased it online, not readily easy to return if problem is present with product received.

Questions:

Does P series monitor also come with service tags as well? Is it ALL 27" and 30" that comes with service tag?

If it does have service tag, do I register using it and still do transfer of ownership?  What if it does not have service tag?

Chris, so what clarification did you get from speaking to your team members about warranty period for products (monitors) purchased from retailers/resellers? Full warranty period or partial?

What is current revision for P2714H?

Thank you.

Jeff.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 4th, 2014 10:00

Does P series monitor also come with service tags as well?
* If it is 27" or larger, yes.

Is it ALL 27" and 30" that comes with service tag?
* Yes.

do I register using it and still do transfer of ownership?
* Yes.

What if it does not have service tag?
* If it was a 27" or larger and the seller removed the service tag, we will not cover it.

warranty period for products (monitors) purchased from retailers.
* Three years from purchase date.

warranty period for products (monitors) purchased from resellers.
* Will use the originally purchased warranty period. Will be less than three years.

What is current revision for P2714H?
* I only have record of the original A00.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2014 11:00

Hi Chris,

My new order of P2714H arrived and need to do transfer of ownership.

Looks like it requires previous owner information, which is Newegg.com for me.

What Information do I need of them to perform the transfer of ownership?

thanks.

*update: i went to transfer of ownership page, but it says "if bought in retailer go to..." it took me to registeration page.  I've done so.  is this correct way to do so?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 6th, 2014 23:00

Correct.

No Events found!