Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2013 10:00

U2713HM not USB 3.0

I can not get the monitor to work at 3.0 speeds. After a long time with tech support they told me that it is not 3.0.  The USB cable that came with the set does not have blue on either end. The ports on the side are not blue. The ports on the bottom are not blue. All available literature and the owner's manual claim 3.0. Very disappointing. 

May 24th, 2013 10:00

Hi Hu-Bo,

The USB ports on U2713HM are USB 3.0. You may refer to User's Guide Here.

Please share the system model you are using with monitor as the system should also be USB 3.0 capable.

You may refer to Setup Diagram Here. The monitor Upstream cable is in Step 4 and should be connected to a USB 3.0 port on computer.

Do reply with the information. I would be glad to help you.

6 Posts

May 24th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for a post. All of the basic stuff has been checked. External hard drives work at 3.0 when connected directly to the Asus motherboard blue USB 3.0 ports. Dell does not conform to the USB 3.0 color coding?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 25th, 2013 00:00

Hu-Bo,

We do on our computers but not the monitors. The manual says monitor USB 3.0 can do the following:
Super Speed 5Gbps
High Speed 480Mbps
Full Speed 12Mbps
Low Speed 1.5Mbps

What specific make/model drives are you testing?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 25th, 2013 07:00

When you say "boot up", does that mean when the PC is booting up? Or does that message appear when the PC is already up and running and you "hot" connect the USB drives to the monitor?

6 Posts

May 25th, 2013 07:00

The problem is that the set does not recognize the fact that it is plugged into a fully functional 3.0 port. Upon boot up I get the message " this device can perform faster if you plug it into a 3.0 hub. It acts as if it is plugged into a 2.0 port. I have the most recent 3.0 driver from NEC on my PC. I have eliminated the USB cable that came with the Dell as a possibility. Any thoughts?  

6 Posts

May 25th, 2013 08:00

This happens with no USB drives connected to the Dell. It happens whenever I start or restart the computer.

May 28th, 2013 10:00

Hi Hu-Bo,

I would suggest you to uninstall the USB Root Hubs and update the chipset drivers by following the steps below :

• Unplug all USB devices from the computer.
  • Click on Start.
  • Type Device Manager in the search box.
  • Click on ‘Device Manager’ in the search results. The device manager will open.
  • Click on > sign next to ‘USB Universal Bus Controllers’ to expand the category.
  • Right click on each entry listed under USB Universal Bus Controllers and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  • Click on ‘Yes’ on the security warning.
  • Restart the computer and Windows will automatically install generic drivers for USB Root Hubs.

You may try installing the updated chipset drivers from the manufacturers website of motherboard. Also, ensure that Windows is up to date via Windows updates.

Please reply with the findings.Will take it further from there.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2013 15:00

Here is what the device manager looks like. Do you still want me to uninstall all of this?

2 Posts

August 20th, 2013 22:00

This thread is kind of old and this post is kinda long, I know, but I am having all sorts of issues with this USB3 hub on a new Haswell system which ONLY has USB3 ports.

With the original A01 revision U2713HM, and a freshly built Win7 x64 on all new hardware, it kept disconnecting/reconnecting every 10 or so seconds and would not stay connected no matter which port it was plugged into.

I called Dell and a A00 revision U2713HM was sent out as a replacement.  This one kind of worked, in that it would detect my USB3 HDD & USB3 32Gb Stick no issues...the webcam however would no longer work AT ALL when plugged into the monitors USB3 ports.  Plugged into the PC direct and no issue.

I noticed that it actually had a "USB 3.0 Hub" and another "Unknown Device" installed in the device manager.  I put back the A01 revision monitor (which had all the devices detected) and did some playing around with the drivers for the USB Hub in Device Manager.

After lots of messing around and many reboots I managed to get a "USB 3.0 Hub" loaded and working, instead of the "Generic USB Hub" that it had previously, or a Hub that had the yellow exclamation because it couldn't start.  It stays connected no problem now, but it is only running at USB 2.0 speeds & won't power the webcam or USB3 HDD :(

If I use the "Generic USB Hub" driver, there are 4 ports with 500mw max for each port, which you can see in the "Power" section of the Properties of the "Generic USB Hub" device.  If you update the driver to the Intel "USB 3.0 Hub" driver, you have no such tab any more.

I suspect if you can find the right combination of drivers...being proper USB 3.0 supported drivers, then the USB ports will work just fine.  It is just a shame that they generally don't get detected correctly due to a spec mismatch or whatever?

I am still struggling to get them right and to accept more voltage/wattage with the current "USB 3.0 Hub" driver as now the USB3 HDD spins up, but doesn't have enough power to keep the drive spinning and it see it properly in Win7.  The Webcam & USB3 32Gb stick work no problem and run at full speed.

I know the HDD works fine as it worked on the replacement A00 and works no issue plugged into the PC directly.

Anyways...anyone else found anything similar?

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

I'm just setting up a new U3014 and have exactly the same problem. The montior claims to be USB 3.0, I plug it into a known USB 3.0 port on the computer, and when I use a USB 3.0 device, I get the "this device can perform faster..." message.

Still digging for answers.

ADC

October 29th, 2013 05:00

I also purchased the U2713HM and connected the USB 3.0 hub to a RENESAS uPD720200 usb 3.0 controller with the latest firmware on (3.0.3.4). My observations are the following:

1. All my USB 2.0 devices seem to work OK, even HDDs that are USB powered.

2. USB 3.0 devices are a hit and a miss. One USB flash drive I used seems to work correctly. The one USB 3.0 HDD I used behaves in a strange manner. Some times it's not recognised at all. Some times it's recognised but it's unmounted after a minute or so since it works with ultra low speeds and disconnects. And one time I got it to work correctly! This behaviour is the same in both Windows and Linux. Booting with the USB 3.0 HDD connected hangs the system until I remove the HDD. So that makes 3 environments that can't handle the USB 3.0 HDD (BIOS, Windows, Linux). Note that the HDD works fine on the USB 3.0 controller, it is problematic only when it is on the monitor hub.

I would hope for a fast temporary solution that at least makes the USB 3.0 devices work in USB 2.0 speeds as a fallback. But of course, it should work correctly as a USB 3.0 hub.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2013 07:00

ashetosvlakas,

For my notes, Click Here, then click "Send a Private Message". Provide to me the following information -
Monitor Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric PPID serial number:

6 Posts

October 29th, 2013 07:00

If you think about, it the fact that the 3.0 flash drive seems to work ok but not the 3.0 HDD it would seem to be a power issue. I gave up on using my monitor ports. The monitor looks so good that I can live with it as is. I may buy a highly reviewed  3.0 hub, the Plugable 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub. It has upgradeable firmware. I don't think that USB 3.0 is fully developed yet.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2013 08:00

Hu-Bo,

Good point. ashetosvlakas, did that USB HDD have its own power source?

October 30th, 2013 03:00

Both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 HDDs I tested are USB powered by Y-cables. I'm pretty sure the monitor can supply plenty of power to devices because the USB 2.0 HDD is very power hungry, and it works perfectly fine on the monitor hub. We're talking about a very old USB 2.0 HDD that doesn't work if you plug it in front panel ports, it needs all the power you can provide. This same USB 2.0 HDD works fine on the monitor hub, whereas the USB 3.0 HDD that uses something like half the power (south of 2.5 Watts) doesn't work.

Maybe it's a problem of negotiating higher power states for USB 3.0. If the monitor can power the USB 2.0 HDD then it certainly can power the USB 3.0 HDD as well, even by using USB 2.0 power states instead of using the USB 3.0 higher power state.

About the Monitor Service Tag number and PPID serial number I will try to give them to you when I get home.

No Events found!