Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2013 03:00

U2713HM, replacement, foreign matter under the panel

I've just received a warranty replacement Dell U2713HM monitor. The replacement unit came with a small piece of dirt/foreign matter under the screen. It is highly visible when displaying light colors. I called Dell Tech Support. The first operator I spoke to asked me to email her photos of the issue. Within my email I tried to explain that I had great difficulty trying to focus on and photograph the small particle. Also that the issue is much more apparent to the eye than the photos show. The response:
"Base on the picture you send to me, we unable duplicate the issue. Hence, there will be no replacement can be arrange.".

I tried calling Dell Tech Support a second time. The operator obtained 7 photos from the person I previously spoke to (even thought I sent her 14) and insisted that the abnormality is a single dead pixel and not covered by warranty. In response I resent the photos plus a macro shot which clearly shows the pixels to be in good order. I'm still awaiting a response. The reason for my frustration and this post is that Dell Tech Support doesn't seem to realize or want to acknowledge that it is extremely difficult to photograph something on or worse inside an LCD screen. There is a piece of foreign matter between the backlight and LCD panel of this screen which results in a highly visible dot when displaying light colors. The first operator took the stance of - if you can't photograph it with great clarity, it doesn't exist. The second operator insisted it's a single dead pixel (conveniently not covered by warranty) even though his colleague claimed to see nothing. These are the photos that I sent to Dell Tech Support. Admittedly the dot/dirt/foreign matter particle is quite hard to see, but again I am simply unable to capture it with a camera.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pgg02ndk2lkiqe8/dell_2713.rar

• 

3.3K Posts

October 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi bobjane,

I am sorry for the run around. As you mentioned in the post, the pictures you provided does not capture the issue. I suspect it is a single dead pixel.

As informed by the second technical support agent a display with 1 to 5 Dead or Stuck pixels is within the industry standards, and is therefore considered an acceptable display. Refer to the following link for more information:

http://dell.to/17bwKHx

Dead Pixel = a pixel whose 3 sub-pixels are permanently off, producing a permanently black pixel.

Stuck Pixel = Stuck pixels have been reported to disappear, and there are several popular methods purported to fix them, such as gently rubbing the screen (in an attempt to reseat the pixel), cycling the color value of the stuck pixel rapidly (in other words, flashing bright colors on the screen,) or simply tolerating the stuck pixel until it disappears (which can take anywhere from a day to years.) Stuck pixels are not guaranteed to be correctable, and can remain faulty for the life of the monitor.

Possible fix for Stuck Pixel

Try using Dead Pixel Buddy which will cycle the main RGB colors on every pixel at a very rapid rate in the hope of fixing the stuck pixel

2 Posts

October 8th, 2013 05:00

I have already addressed your claim of the issue being a single dead pixel.

Please see "IMG_0200 (shows pixels are fine).JPG" which clearly shows the pixels to be perfectly fine!

The second Dell Tech Support operator has since replied saying he can't access the photos I provided in the first post. Then I tried sending them as email attachments but Dell's email server rejected them for being too large. How am I supposed to provide photographic proof when your operators cannot receive them?

The reason I did not compress the large image files is because they are already lacking in clarity and jpeg compression will only make it worse.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 8th, 2013 16:00

bobjane,

I sent your photos to the Displays Team. You are correct in that the issue is not stuck pixels. But, they agree with our technicians. This panel is within our manufacturer specifications and thus will not be exchanged.

No Events found!