Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

June 20th, 2020 20:00

U2720Q, USB Type-C, disconnect/reconnect

I bought a new Dell U2720Q monitor yesterday. The monitor look great but I got a problem with USB Type-C connection. Sometime the monitor got disconnected automatically and reconnect again after that. It usually happen when a new window is open or close. Here are videos 1 and 2.

My machine is a laptop running non-supported Ubuntu 20.04, GTX 1650 running latest Nvidia driver. I also notice that the problem also happened when I was opening a game in Windows, usually when I open a game, Assassin's Creed Odyssey to be specific.
* What Windows PC model?
* What operating system?
* What GPU?
* Does it happen in any other game on the Windows PC?

Dell-Admin

It seem like there is a bug with PD implementation because when I connect the laptop charging cable, that does not happen.
The U2720Q/U2720QM USB Type-C power delivery only provides up to 90W. What is the wattage of the supplied power AC adapter on the Windows PC laptop?
Dell-Admin

I found this post on reddit which might related.
That thread specifically deals with the U3419W and U3818DW which use the older Ti TPS6598E power delivery chip.
Dell-Admin

• 

25.7K Posts

June 20th, 2020 21:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 06:00

Sorry, this is first time I buy a Dell monitor and this community. I using my laptop to test the monitor. The laptop configuration is:
- Model: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme 2nd

- GPU: GTX 1650 MaxQ

-  Type C disconnect when open AC Odyssey: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YceNzTh1H3PrQnIRObmsjNB_qBORfZB7/view?usp=sharing 
- The disconnection problem also happen when I stress test the system: play a 4K video, running Cinebench + 3D mark at the same time in Windows 10: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZFjsFlnoMJqkABlRy9SDTk-ROsuO1Vo1/view?usp=sharing .
- It also happen when I compile a big project in Linux.
- My laptop has 135W charger but it support up to 100W PD, so I think 90W is very closed to my laptop specs.

No Events found!