Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2013 14:00

U2913WM supplied Dual-Link cable not HDCP compatible?

Hi,

I have just upgraded from a BenQ 1920x1080 HDCP-compatible monitor to the Dell U2913WM monitor.  The specs tell me it is HDCP-compatible via the DVI-D port, but when using the supplied DVI-D Dual Link cable with my GTX 780 graphics card, the NVIDIA Control Panel tells me that "This display does not support HDCP."

I was using the GTX 780 with my old BenQ monitor (and a single-link DVI cable), so does this mean that the supplied cable is not HDCP-compatible?  The 780 also has a DVI-I port, so I have checked (and double-checked) that I am using the right one.

Please help!

Kind regards,

D33T33.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 16th, 2013 17:00

D33T33,

The U2913WM monitor DVI-D port supports HDCP, 2560x1080. The manual page 6 states, "Supports Dual-link DVI-D (HDCP)".
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u2913wm_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

The DVI-D DL cable we provide with the U2913WM is part number HCX4X. Look on the packaging that the cable came in to verify it states HCX4X. Make sure that the port you are using on the video card matches the end of our DVI-D DL cable.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi DELL-CHRIS M,

Thanks for the information.  Bizarrely, now the NVIDIA Control Panel states, "Your graphics card and display are HDCP-capable".  However, my main issue, and which prompted me to look at the NCP, is with PowerDVD 13 Ultra.  When I try to play a Blu-Ray, it states "CyberLink PowerDVD is unable to play this media because the required HDCP could not be initialized."  I only payed for it and downloaded it yesterday.  This is getting really silly.  I don't know who to believe now :(

Btw, there is a yellow sticker on the Dual-Link cable which says "Dual-Link DVI Cable" and underneath, "P/N: X058C".  Reading your previous post, have I been supplied with the wrong cable then?  And the port I am using is the correct one.

Any ideas?

4 Posts

December 17th, 2013 04:00

Now, I have rebooted my PC this morning, and guess what?  NVIDIA Control Panel - "This display  does not support HDCP".  It's gotta be the cable???

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 17th, 2013 06:00

X058C is not appearing in the Dell parts database? You sure it is correct? Was this monitor purchased directly from Dell? Or from some reseller?

Contact Technical Support. Provide to them the U2913WM service tag number, your shipping address, phone, email. Tell them to send you HCX4X DVI-D Dual-Link Cable.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi DELL-CHRIS M,

Yes, this is the cable:

I bought the monitor from Scan Computers International PLC in the UK, so maybe it isn't an official Dell cable.  However, the Dell security tape was still around the box so I'm assuming they haven't tampered with it.

The NVIDIA Control Panel seems to change its mind at will: first telling me that the monitor isn't HDCP-compliant and after the next reboot, it is, but the CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor is constantly telling me that I do not have a compliant cable (support ticket also logged with them).  I also logged a call with Dell Technical Support this morning, so when they reply, I will ask them to send me the cable you advise.

Thank you for all your help.  It's much appreciated.

D33T33.

7 Posts

February 18th, 2014 13:00

Hi Chris,

I'm also having problems with HDCP compatibility.

The correct part number of DVI-D cable is HCX4X?

Thank you for your help.  I'm appreciated.

No Events found!