Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 20th, 2015 09:00

U3014, FirePro GL W5100, DUCCS (Xrite) has stopped working

I have a U3014 monitor which was originally hooked to a NVIDIA  960 card, but now a FireproGL W5100.

I uninstalled the NVIDIA software and verified I have the latest catalyst software for the W5100.  I have used default settings for the video card except I activated 10 bit.  

At the point of measurement I get Dell Ultrasharp Calibration Solution has stopped working.  A online search does not provide a definitive answer I have not already tried.  Note I did reset to factory settings both color and monitor settings and Display Port 1.2 is disabled.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Dell calibration Solution and the monitor driver.

First question I need to ask is are there reported stability issues with the Firepro and FireproGL drivers and is there a simple solution.  I know such errors are usually something interfering, but this class of video card is a little new to me, so maybe I am missing something I would not expect.

The monitor is connected directly to a USB port (it is USB3) and the i1Displaypro is connected to a USB2 port because some have found issues with connecting to USB3.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

July 20th, 2015 11:00

Did you try to disable 10bit in CCC while calibrating?

LUT3D is written based (ALL MONITORS, all companies) on a limited number of native response measurements, black to RGBW ramps and several equally spaced secondary colors to build up "native cube" RGB response. RGB numbers sent to to monitor in this situation (native measurement) can be represented in 8bit.

Your computer 10bit out & monitor 10bit in capabilities are useful in other situations (gradients and dealing with image/monitor profile mismmmatch in order to minimize roundng errors due to color management), not while reading monitor's native response.

Did you tried lastest version 1.5.8?

When does app crach happen? In order of apperance:

-while fixing white?

-While reading native response?

-While computing LUT3D?

-While writing LUT3D to monitor?

---------

-While measuring calibrated response to profile?

-While writing/saving ICM/ICC file to your PC (you are not in FullScreen mode at tht point of time)?

If app crashes after "---------", calibration was written to your monitor, so if Dell does not solve your problem, just download ArgyllCMS and DispcalGUI 2.6 and perform "profile only" action to measure your calibrated monitor and write an ICM to use it. That action will not write calibration in your graphics card, it will just measure your current OSD preset (disable Dell Display manger auto mode, set manual) and make a profile that matches its behaviour. Just "Profile only" :)

July 20th, 2015 12:00

The crash is occurs after moving from the patch screen to the measure screen.   It playing around, for instance in uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, I found that bringing the software up before rebooting, gives the Monitor as Del-4081 and does not crash.  After rebooting it shows Dell U3014 and does crash.  I noted the driver installed is Dell U3014 --Del4081.

I did remove the profiles again, as I had a old one from the other card still there and will reinstall driver again and see what happens.

If that fails I will disable 10 bit, though I had it activated before with the old card and things worked.

Yes I now realize 10 bit was useless for Photoshop with the NVIDIA card because they do 30 bit in Direct X only and not Open GL.   I will appreciate any additional comment and will get back to you later after I have tested.  I have to leave for a couple of hours.

Thanks for your response.  Note too I am new to hardware Calibration; I have downloaded the other software, but need to read.  I can software calibrate without issues using the X-rite software, though.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

July 20th, 2015 14:00

I mean to disable  FireproGL W5100 10bit, in order to test if OpenGL 10bit mode was in conflict with DCCS, cause it does not matter for native response measures.

DCCS takes 156 measures of monitors native response for a colorspace of 16million nodes. It really does not mater if given that number of nodes they RGB numbers are "128, 32, 32" instead of its 10bit equivalent plus one in the lesser significative number, LUT3D calibration will be computed in the same way: 156 patches of a colorspace of 1000mill nodes.

So no 10bit in or out are needed for calibration, even if dealing with GPU calibration (max 96 of 256 grey patches on high quality ArgyllCMS calibration)

After that and if it works OK, reeenable 10bit because for Photoshop is useful.

July 20th, 2015 16:00

Turning off 10 bit did not work.  The overall problem seems to be with the monitor driver.  

Still I realize it could be a issue with DCCS;  when I reinstalled the software for some reason it is not giving me an immediate option to upgrade to 1.58.   Can you provide a link to that?   I believe I already noted I can software calibrate, if all else fails. I have the latest version of i1 profiler

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

The alternative software you suggested; you mentioned just doing a general profile with it, is it not suppose to also hardware calibrate?

Late evening update:  Problem file "appears" to be atiadlxy.dll  This is based on info from the event viewer under app error that appears several times.  Naturally it is probably a deeper issue but the ati tells me it is a file associated with the video card software and it could be a Dell file making it fail.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

July 21st, 2015 06:00

"The alternative software you suggested; you mentioned just doing a general profile with it, is it not suppose to also hardware calibrate?"

My suggestion does only work if DCCS calibration process finished calibration (LUT is stored in monitor) but crashed while profiling: "If app crashes after "---------"," in my enumeration of DCCS internal steps. It means that monitor is hardware calibrated, but not profiled and you can use 3rd party apps to do that and in a better and accurater way than DCCS or any Xrite app.

It's not your situation, your DCCS crashes earlier, before 1st step.

Did you check app log files? You may find there what operation was DCCS doing before crash. In your home folder, "appData/Roaming/Dell/Dell Color Calibration Solution/Connection.log" or something like that.

There are a lot of configurations (GTX, Radeon, Quadro, Firepro) that fail (crashes do not happen so often) with DCCS while dending DDC/CI commands to monitor. Most common issue happens when DCCS tries to check monitor Serial No. by DDC/CI and by USB and these two different ops must give the same result or DCCS will refure to go further...(it's weird, I know...)

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

July 21st, 2015 06:00

I do not have a direct link to 1.5.8, it showed as an update from my 1.5.3

What is your DCCS version?

If you have a virtual machine running windows, install DCCS 1.5.3 and run it, it will suggest to upgrade to 1.5.8. EXE installer file will be located in your temp folder. Copy back to your system installer executable.

July 21st, 2015 08:00

I will look for that log as soon as I get a chance.  A couple of times when this has happen, I did get a error involving connection of the monitor to the USB.  I depowered and repowered the monitor though and the next try all I got was the DCCS has stopped working.

For some reason I am not getting a opportunity to upgrade.   I suspect a registry value setting.  I suspect I am not getting a clean uninstall so I am going to uninstall with Revo.  

Can Dell's Monitor manager cause errors like this?  I have seen comments about it, comments about USB 2 vs USB3 for the i1Display pro and even the R3000 printer in connection with the particular .dll file.

Yes problems like this are weird.  I have been around computers for 40 years (not as a IT professional) and I have seen a lot of weird things with weird solutions, sometimes solutions you would never dream of.

That file has to be located somewhere but I do understand as the Dell download site has 1.53 as the latest.

"Did you check app log files? You may find there what operation was DCCS doing before crash. In your home folder, "appData/Roaming/Dell/Dell Color Calibration Solution/Connection.log" or something like that"

This is what repeats several times in the log:

[21.07.2015 00:36:31.357]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:137 : Workflow error.

I also get info followed by everything from printers to microsoft one note all listed as printer drivers.

In a different log file I get a lot of different monitors listed and then this:

[21.07.2015 00:36:30.785]  INFO  Display Name: DELL U3014 DEL4081

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.054]  INFO  Name of the display: DELL U3014

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.054]  INFO  Index of the display: 0

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.054]  INFO  Name of the display: DELL U3014

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.054]  INFO  Index of the display: 0

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.265]  INFO  Name of the display: DELL U3014

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.265]  INFO  Index of the display: 0

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.265]  INFO  Name of the display: DELL U3014

[21.07.2015 00:37:43.265]  INFO  Index of the display: 0

I have a AO3 version of the monitor; is DEL4081 correct?   I ask because the monitor driver list others associated with DEL.

July 21st, 2015 10:00

Here is a little bit of a update; I found the registry value preventing me from seeing 1.5.8.  It was titled twilight and was set to skip version, which tells me when I meant to click check later, that did not happen.

The log is now giving me more information.

In one file I found this:

ERROR  DisplayProfileOptionsModel.cpp:1107 : Could not determine whitepoint for colorspace 6

In the other I found this:

[21.07.2015 11:35:21.263]  ERROR  main.cpp:165 : Could not load Qt localization file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Dell/Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution/Translations/qt_en_US'.

[21.07.2015 11:35:37.676]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:156 : LinkProfileWorkflow error.

[21.07.2015 11:35:37.738]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:156 : LinkProfileWorkflow error.

[21.07.2015 11:35:37.754]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:156 : LinkProfileWorkflow error.

[21.07.2015 11:35:37.754]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:156 : LinkProfileWorkflow error.

[21.07.2015 11:35:37.879]  ERROR  WorkFlow.cpp:156 : LinkProfileWorkflow error.

But on the event viewer I keep getting printer error also.  

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

July 21st, 2015 11:00

It's almost 8PM here (EU) hehehe, so don't worry.

Firepro and Quadro drivers should have some kind of premium support. Did you try to send your data to AMD guys? Dell says this is a user to user support forum... I've been asking for a proper calibration (more than 11 patches for each black to RGBW ramp) for years without results.... I'mean, Dell does not care about your errors, next DCCS version will come out when the release a new HW calibratable model.

As an last option solution, calibrate with another computer.

Calibration is stored inside monitor, then copy ICM with gamut descripion to your computer, or "profile only" (which is more acurate) with ArgyllCMS.

As a caution measure, avoid HDMI- out of that computer (TV range 16-235... and those issues).

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

Does this error happen after installing 1.5.8?

Yes, but as you may note, the logs are slightly different and that error setting white point shows up on one log.

I have noticed the printer heading is not set to Demo and as noted, along with the app error, I am getting errors installing printer driver.

I thought I had done a clean uninstall with revo, but I did something wrong and the registry traces were still there.   It did uninstall it and I did see where the problem getting V1.58 was.

Sorry for so many replies this AM.  When I get challenged, it takes me a while to give up.  But I am about ready to just go the software cal route.  I know there is something somewhere hanging the calibration up, but unless those logs tells you or another something, finding the problem might be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

July 21st, 2015 14:00

I appreciate you attempt to help.   I am going to contact AMD because I am pretty sure their driver .dll file is causing the problem.  On the other hand their support seems not much better, it is difficult to run down their graphic station card support vs gaming support.  Again Thanks.  If I find a solution, I will post it.  Maybe Windows 10 will change the game in just over a week.  

July 22nd, 2015 00:00

Fixed the crash by finally finding a newer driver for the card, even though it supposedly did not exist.  That fixed now I have the more classic USB issue, it gives me the picture saying more than one monitor was found and connect USB to the proper one.  Cured this before by deleting and reinstalling the monitor driver, no such luck this time.  This is a Dell issue again now.

No Events found!