Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2013 14:00

U3014, lines, noise, color shifts

I have just bought my new and shiny u3014. It looks great, but unfortunately I've encountered a couple of problems basically right away. Grateful for any tips and suggestions.  My PC is also brand new and runs a single ASUS nVidia Titan graphics card.  I have installed the most recent drivers and am certain that all the cables are tightly connected.

1. Tiny black lines all over the screen. I was surprised to see them, but there are tiny, really thin black lines all over the screen, causing all images to look as if some kind of retro sci-fi filter is applied to them. My previous HP 24" monitor did not have these lines.  I tried various resolutions, but of course work primarily in the native 2560x1600 one.

2. You have to look very closely to notice, but there is on-screen noise all over the screen which makes the black lines sort of "shift up" when you look closely. I noticed that it only happens when I use the supplied displayport/mini displayport cable, but does not happen when I use the supplied DVI cable.

3. Seemingly random color temperature shifts.  This is definitely the most annoying one.  The monitor appears to shift the color temperature depending on what's on screen. For example, if I open a window that's mostly white (like this forum page for example) to take all of the desktop space, but then bring up a smallish window that would, for example, take a quarter of the screen space but is much darker (say, a Steam library window which is dark grey, almost black), there is a chance that the color temperature for the entire screen will instantly shift.  This is very noticeable and very frustrating.  It seems to occur more often when I use the DVI cable, but also occurs when I use the supplied displayport cable.

I am cautiously optimistic that using a proper displayport cabe (full-size for both ends) may fix some or all of this, but perhaps I'm just doing something wrong.  Any input gratefully received.

Thanks.

April 9th, 2013 12:00

3. Seemingly random color temperature shifts.  This is definitely the most annoying one.  The monitor appears to shift the color temperature depending on what's on screen. For example, if I open a window that's mostly white (like this forum page for example) to take all of the desktop space, but then bring up a smallish window that would, for example, take a quarter of the screen space but is much darker (say, a Steam library window which is dark grey, almost black), there is a chance that the color temperature for the entire screen will instantly shift.  This is very noticeable and very frustrating.  It seems to occur more often when I use the DVI cable, but also occurs when I use the supplied displayport cable.

I just got my U3014.and was also experiencing the annoying "random color temperature shifts"

I have turned "Smart Video Mode" off in Dell Display Manager and changed the preset mode of my browser from Multimedia to Standard, which seems to fix it.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi Jingjang,

The Dell U3014 flat panel monitor has a built-in diagnostic tool that allows you to determine whether the screen abnormality is due to an inherent problem in your monitor, or with the computer and graphics card.

Please run the built-in diagnostics by following the steps below:

1. Ensure that the screen is clean (no dust particles on the surface of the screen).
  2. Unplug the video cable(s) from the rear side of the computer or monitor. The monitor, then, goes into the self-test mode.
  3. Press and hold Button 1 and Button 4 on the front panel simultaneously, for 2 seconds. A gray screen appears.
  4. Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.
  5. Press Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to red.
  6. Inspect the display for any abnormalities.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to inspect the display in gray, red, green, blue, black, white and text screens.

The test is complete when the white screen appears. To exit, press the Button 4 again.

If you do not detect any screen abnormalities upon using the built-in diagnostic tool, the monitor is functioning properly. Check the graphics card and computer.

Please let us know the findings.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2013 02:00

Thanks, Ravi.  Unfortunately, nothing happens when I press and hold both button 1 and button 4.  A box saying that no DisplayPort signal is in keeps floating across the black screen.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

Test the monitor using a DVI to video card DVI. Do you see the tiny black lines all over the screen on DVI to DVI?

29 Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

If it's enabled, find and turn OFF "Smart Video enhance."

3 Posts

April 9th, 2013 12:00

Thank you. I have replaced my U3014, and turning "smart video enhance" mode off on the new unit helped.  I think my original U3014 was seriously faulty, because (1) those annoying black lines and overall dizziness are not apparent on my new device, so it has to be a manufacturing fault or some kind of nasty and hard to detect damage and (2) my old screen did not even provide the ability to turn smart video enhance off, and the menu buttons were not even behaving properly.  Luckily, my new screen works like a miracle!

4 Posts

April 16th, 2013 09:00

@Jingjang What is the production date and the REV number (printed on the back of the monitor, below the ports) of the replacement unit that you got that don't have the problem with the lines? Is it later than Feb 2013 and REV A01?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 16th, 2013 16:00

Hubert Heller,

Thanks! I will try to build a FAQ for the DDM.

May 1st, 2013 22:00

So I've been reading the boards and it sounds like some of the U3014 have bad manufacturing defect.  I'd like to order one that is available now through an authorized reseller, but I am afraid the problems is widespread with the units already in the channel. How can I know the units already in the channel are not all bad?

Regards,
Mike

May 2nd, 2013 11:00

I got my U3014 directly from Dell and had no problems with the unit.

May 2nd, 2013 12:00

,,, oh ,,, except one thing: SInce the U3011 does not have a loudspeaker, when my laptop goes into power saving mode and turns the screen off, I get a regular, nagging "device disconnect" sound every 15 seconds.

I am sure there is a fix for it - I just haven't found it yet.

1 Message

June 26th, 2013 09:00

Thanks.  I had the same problem turning off Smart Video Mode cured it.  What was frustrating was the time that I spent with the online chat tech support at Dell who downloaded programs, ran diagnostics and the like without success.  While online I was doing my own searching and suggested this solution.  He said try it.  It worked.  It's hard for me to believe that they don't have this as one of their main troubleshooting criteria, especially given how simple it is.  

2 Posts

July 10th, 2019 00:00

Hey guys.
I owned a U3014 for 6 years now with no problems.
This morning i turned off the screen for 20 min then i turned it back on and i got these lines.
I tried everything and it doesnt work.
Any help on this?

66380150_468909850569677_7868456970481565696_n.jpg

2 Posts

October 1st, 2019 07:00

we have about 20 of the U3014t models and i have about 6 now that have the same screen. no menus come up or anything. some have color w/lines and some have just grey screen with lines. Anyone get close to an answer as to what might be causing this? 

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 08:00

I swapped parts between the non working U3014T 30" monitors. was able to get 2 working screens out of them all. tested all other boards from bad screens on a working screen and verified they all worked The main culprit on all but 2 was  2- boards at the top of the screen that have 8 ribbon cables and wrap around the top, they are a type of inverter board i suspect. but this is the main culprit of my screens with Lines only issue. I had 2 that had power supply board (no-power) issues those are the ones i swapped with working PS and they are fine. Going to take the frame around the screen off and test some components and check connections on those boards. maybe re-flow, we shall see.

No Events found!