Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

VS

August 15th, 2018 07:00

U3415W, E-Port II PRO3X, PSM issue

This might be more about the E-Port II PRO3X than the monitor, but since the monitor is the "new element" I decided to post here. I have reviewed multiple threads in this community including here  (user error) and here.  I have also reviewed threads regarding the same issue but with a different monitor, example here.

For my work I am using an Ultrabook docked into a pro3x. The previous monitor I had attached to the dock was a P2414Hb and worked without a hitch for the past two years or so. 

I received my U3415W the other day and connected it via the display port, no issue. This was Monday 8/13. Each night I let my laptop top go into sleep mode. I do not hard boot my computer every night/morning. This morning, 8/15, the monitor would not stop jumping into PSM (power saving mode) on the DP connected to the dock.

I reconnected the old monitor and the same thing is occurring. I connected my gaming laptop via HDMI to the U3415W, no issue. Undocked the the Ultrabook and connected the mini DP directly into the laptop (bypassing the dock), no issue.

With the dock connected to either monitor I have unplugged all display cables and held the power 'button' for 8-10 seconds, reconnected everything and rebooted. No go.

Any thoughts on what I may have *not* trouble shot or is there something I should have considered before connecting the 3415 into the pro3x?

Ultimately I would like to have everything connected to my dock so I can drop my Ultrabook on it and remove it with ease for meetings and such.

In case it matters, next week I will be bringing a new PC into the mix. A desktop that I plan on connecting to the 3415 as well for video editing. One of the main reasons I purchased the 3415 is the ability to switch from input to input.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the saga!

Hi Chris,

* What is the Dell 5 digit part number on that E-dock?

There is no five digit part number I am finding. The info on the bottom is as follows: PRO3X, E-Port II, DP/N OCPGHK on a sticker, DPN (printed on the base) 39V94 A01, Class BICES-005.

* List all of the rear and side ports on the E-dock

• 1 x display / video - DisplayPort - 20 pin DisplayPort, 1 x display / video - DVI-Digital - 18 pin digital DVI (Single-Link)
  • 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) - 1 x Security Cable Slot
  • 1 x eSATA / USB 2.0 - 11 pin USB/eSATA , 5x USB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type A
  • 1 x network - RJ-45, 1 x audio - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Microphone input
  • 130 Power Adapter Included, (See Description for Compatibility Information)

* What specific model of "ultrabook"?

Apologies - Latitude E7450

* List all of the rear and side ports on the ultrabook

SD, SC, USB x3, Audio Port, RJ-45, Power, miDP and HDMI.

Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

* What is the Dell 5 digit part number on that E-dock?
* List all of the rear and side ports on the E-dock
* What specific model of "ultrabook"?
* List all of the rear and side ports on the ultrabook

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 15th, 2018 09:00

Simultaneously. They do different functions. But both should always be connected to the dock and the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Dell part number = CPGHK E-Port II (PRO3X)
Rear =
eSATA, NIC, USB 3.0, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, DP, AC adapter port
Left =
USB 2.0, USB 2.0, USB 2.0, Audio out, MIC in

Latitude E7450
Rear = NIC, mDP, USB 3.0, HDMI, USB 3.0 Power share, AC adapter
Left = Memory Card reader, Smart card reader
Right = Headphone, USB 3.0

* Turn both the Latitude E7450 and U3415W off
* Remove the Latitude E7450 from the dock
* Open the lid and turn the Latitude E7450 on. Once into Windows, click Start- Power- Shutdown. Close the lid
* Connections =
Wall outlet --> dock AC power adapter --> dock AC adapter in port
E-Port II (PRO3X) DP out port --> U3415W DP to mDP cable --> U3415W mDP in port
E-Port II (PRO3X) rear blue USB 3.0 port --> U3415W USB 3.0 upstream cable --> U3415W rear USB 3.0 upstream
* Attach the Latitude E7450 to the dock
* Turn the U3415W on, then press the dock power button

Retest

Hi Chris,

To be clear on this step:

E-Port II (PRO3X) DP out port --> U3415W DP to mDP cable --> U3415W mDP in port
E-Port II (PRO3X) rear blue USB 3.0 port --> U3415W USB 3.0 upstream cable --> U3415W rear USB 3.0 upstream

You are asking that I connect Both USB 3 and mDP to the monitor from the docking station? Simultaneously? Or are you suggesting these connections as separate steps?

Just want to follow steps as intended. Thank you!

I did not know that. May be the issue then. Will jump on this after work and report back. Thank you for the help, Chris!

August 16th, 2018 05:00

Hi Chris,

I was finally able to follow your instructions. So far everything is working as I'd expect it now, connected through the dock.  On the monitor I using the mDP port in (DP from dock) and the USB upstream in (USB 3.0 from the dock). 

The only difference here in anything I tried being the USB connection. Perhaps that was it. I will let everything cycle as usual (turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, etc) and see if anything else occurs. Should I follow up on this thread should the issue begin again or start a new one? Which is best?

Thank you again for the help!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 16th, 2018 06:00

Just post here. Concerning the U3415W USB upstream cable. See the U3415W User's Guide, page 32 for data. In your case, the dock is taking the place of the PC.

August 17th, 2018 05:00

Hi Chris!

So same issue - everything worked as expected throughout the day yesterday. I let the system sleep (never powering anything off), then this morning hitting my keyboard or mouse would not initiate a thing. I opened the laptop while still docked and it was, in fact, now powering on until I opened it.

Of course, that would be a laptop issue.

However, once powered on I would have to toggle the monitor on and off to get it to respond. Then, when closing the laptop, again it is still docked, the monitor would go into power saving mode. I believe because the laptop would power down.

As a work around I adjusted the settings on the laptop to do nothing when shut. With that, all is working now but none of this dance was required ever with the previous monitor.

Could the addition of this specific monitor or just a new monitor no matter the model have confused the docking station set up? Or is this a matter of my docking station just happened to start acting wonky right after I bought this monitor? Very odd. 

Like I said, right now it seems I have a work around. I am more confused than I am unproductive at this point.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 17th, 2018 06:00

The hardware setup is correct. I also think that all of the hardware is functioning. I think this is a Windows 10 issue. The laptop has a saved docking profile, somewhere? Perhaps delete it and let the laptop re-create it? You would have to ask the users on the Windows 10 board for specific instructions.

No Events found!