Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2016 12:00

U3415W backlight bleeding question

Hi,

After reading reviews and comparing specifications of available 21:9 ratio 34 inch monitors I decided to go for Dell U3415W.

I intend to use monitor at home environment for photo and video editing, film watching, occasional gaming and general multitasking. All boxes ticked with U3415W. In my eyes, Dell is respectable manufacturer plus 3-Year Advanced Exchange Service and Premium Panel Guarantee. Good choice!

Monitor's original purchase date from Dell is 5th February 2016, purchase date from reseller -16th February. The monitor is registered with Dell and guarantee confirmed and valid until 5th February 2019.

As I have read almost all available reviews online about this monitor, I was aware that this screen is not perfect. As everything else also U3415W has its issues. I knew it and considered all pros and cons during my decision making process.

So I was aware of some backlight bleeding issues, I have seen pictures of the screen in dark (TFT Central review) and I was completely ok with some backlight issues as stated in reviews.

When I first viewed my monitor with a full screen black test image, I was shocked of the level of the backlight bleeding no this particular monitor. Needless to say I got disappointed and unhappy about my purchase. Then I started research on backlight bleeding issues on Dell monitors and came across Dell Community. This is my first Dell screen as I moved from lower end Eizo monitor, what being half price of U3415W did not have such issue.

So I have taken several pictures in monitor’s Standard mode but with several brightness settings – 100%, 75% (as out of the box), 50%, 25% and 0% brightness. Contrast in all pictures is 75% as out of the box. All photos were taken by iPhone 5C in auto setting. Nothing has been adjusted afterwards.

http://s9.postimg.org/wsp5qwycv/image.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/mjwol3ab3/image.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/6cqe513an/image.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/6o7uhsjqn/image.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/ajb8kd2wf/100.jpg

I understand there is manufacturing specification for backlight uniformity what allows some bleed and I accept that, but my question to Dell support: is my monitor issue acceptable by Dell standards?

It is not acceptable by my standards and if it is acceptable by you, I will not hesitate to return the screen and it will be the last time I have Dell product, as there are many alternatives out there. Also with closer inspection I noticed quite a lot of dust between bottom bezel and panel few hours after unboxing. Manufacturer’s seal was not broken when monitor arrived, so I do not know how this could happen... If you agree to exchange this monitor under Dell's 3-Year Advanced Exchange Service and Premium Panel Guarantee, please exchange it with a screen that has never been returned by somebody due to quality issues, but I'm sure you would not do that anyway.

Thank you in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 19th, 2016 05:00

We see all the post. In my opinion, the monitor meets our manufacturer specifications. But, as I said, you may ask for a new exchange. Then compare the two side by side. If both do not meet your expectations, then Order Support in your country can arrange a refund.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 18th, 2016 16:00

Dell validate our monitors in rooms with a minimum of 150 lux, not a dark room. It appears that all the room lights are off in those pictures. How does it look on Windows desktop? Or in an excel document? Read through this. To arrange an exchange, you must go through Technical Support for your country. Any exchange inside the first 30 days from the original invoice date 2/5/16 will be new. After 3/6/16, all exchanges would be refurbished.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2016 03:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply.

Yes, all pictures in my previous post are taken in my room where I intend to use monitor with the lights off. That's because dark room or low light condition are very good for testing backlight bleed without any specific testing equipment, using just my eyes.

I know it is possible to make backlight bleed almost unnoticeable in certain conditions while doing certain tasks, but that is not how I use my monitor most of the time. 

I’ll be honest, as a user I do not know exactly how bright is150 lux. I do not have fine brightness measuring equipment. I have my eyes. But in one other post you say ''We never test our monitors in a dark room. Our monitors are tested in normal office lighting. Those pictures show me that the monitor does meet our manufacturer specifications'', so I understand 150 lux it is close to normal office environment.

Personally i’m a bit surprised that Dell is validating their monitors in the bright room like an office conditions what is controlled by strict government health and safety rules. That makes me think that Dell haven't got a clear understanding on how their monitors (being advertised as cinematic, high performance) will perform in real life environment where most of the time brightness is not the same as in offices, i.e in normal people's homes.

Makes me wonder what would happen if one car manufacturer would validate their car's suspension on straight even road going max 90km/h or 60mph? Or tyre manufacturer validate their tyres on dry straight even road going max 90km/h or 60mph in ideal temperature (not too hot, not too cold). We probably would not buy these cars and tyres, because unfortunately in the real world all roads are not straight lines and there is also rain, cold, snow, potholes, spillages and generally worn road surfaces... in the case of monitor - considerable time of darkness per every single 24 hours period.

In my office I have completely different monitor for fraction of the price of U34145W and my expectations for it in the office are accordingly different. I do not care about the backlight bleed as long as I can see my spreadsheet.

My understanding I got from Dell website and online reviews was that U3415W with its 21:9 ratio is intended for use not only bright room MS Office apps, but also all other normal monitor tasks, including watching movies (what people normally do in a darkened environment), doing some video and photo edit (factory colour calibration promise) and some ultra wide screen gaming. All these tasks have high possibility of dark scenes...

I hope that my particular monitor it is manufacturing fault and not a Dell standard, because even when I have Excel spread sheet open, I can see yellow tint on the left hand side top and bottom of the screen where the most of the bleed is coming from (cannot see it if I take picture with my phone, though). The same with Windows desktop. I have uploaded few pictures taken with all the room light on, you can actually see my reflection in the middle of the screen and it looks darker there.

Just to add I have reset monitor to factory settings, even if it was just out of the box on factory settings. Also did the self test. All colours seem to be very good apart from black, where I can see the bleed with my eyes.

Before I decide if I exchange it to another Dell U3415W or get different brand, please tell me your final thoughts considering you have seen pictures in the light.

BTW, how does it come that you answer to a deleted post? I have deleted the one you actually answered and posted another one with much edited text and it was online yesterday, I checked it. I accidentally posted the first one when trying to upload pictures, but it was not completely finished. Anyway, the issue was described somehow in the first deleted rev of my text.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2016 06:00

Thanks Chris!

I have made my mind up.

No Events found!