Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

June 15th, 2020 14:00

U3818DW, Linux, MacBook, two USB issues

I have been using the Dell Windows 10 only U3818DW for the last two years with a MacBook and a Linux Ubuntu desktop. The last firmware update fixed the issue that was waking up my Macbook Pro 2018, but I still have two USB specific issues:

a) Under Linux I have a Logitech BRIO Webcam USB3 that won't be recognized by Ubuntu if plugged into the monitor. It works for the Mac, but not for Linux. If I plug the webcam directly to the Linux machine then it works. Other accessories work fine plugged into the monitor.

b) When switching between Mac (USB-C) and Linux (DP+USB) my Razer mouse will stop working SOMETIMES. The only fix is to unplug the USB-C cable from the Mac and plug it back in a different USB-C port on the laptop.

Apart from these issues, everything else is going smoothly. Any ideas if there is a fix for the above?

8 Posts

June 15th, 2020 19:00

The U3818DW USB hub stops working after a while. It happens multiple times a day. Most of the time I can solve the problem by turning the monitor off and on again. But in some cases all the usb devices stops working on my MacBook and I have to shutdown my MacBook. This issue doesn't effect the screen quality at all.

My setup: 

• Dell U2720Q, firmware: M2T101
  • MacBook Pro 13" 2020 model, macOs Catalina
  • Devices are connected with USB-C PD cable.
  • USB devices; Mouse and network card attached to the monitor. (USB-A). Problem exists also with an USB-C hub connected to the port on the left of the monitor.

But it gets even crazier. When you do not use the monitor's USB ports and connect all devices directly to the laptop, these devices also sometimes stop. Even the USB power is then interrupted and turns on and off. I can see that from the charging behavior of, for example, a phone or smartwatch. The only way to temporarily remedy this is to switch the monitor on and off. It seems that the built-in USB hub has strange influences on the USB bus adapter of my laptop, even if these apartments are on their own USB port on the laptop

3 Posts

June 17th, 2020 15:00

I solved my Linux issue that was also happening on Windows by replacing the USB cable that connects the monitor to the computer.

Now, my only is issue is my razer mouse on macos that sometimes stops working when switching from one computer to the other (macOS vs Linux).

8 Posts

June 19th, 2020 10:00

Update:

There is a (not confirmed) macOS bug 10.15 or hardware problem in the MacBooks Pro/Air 2020. It can't properly handle USB2 devices connected to an (internal) hub. Devices can stop functioning out of the blue.

No Events found!