Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2015 15:00

UP2414Q, HDMI stuck at 30Hz, Dual 1920x2160 tiles not made clear

Does any version/revision of this monitor have an SST scaler which does not rely on DP daisy chaining for 4k60Hz operation? I have been blessed to be suffering A00 from Nov13 for over a year now and about to put this where it belongs- in the tip. The geniuses at Dell support offer to replace this with the same model where I have told them not to bother because even if it solved the resume from sleep issues. The 3D app support and compatibility issues is an entirely different can of worms. My disappointment with the optional 5yr warranty/guarantee is that they are refusing to replace the monitor with anything else in the range and I am battling for a return/refund now. My other issue from a marketing perspective is that it was never advertised to be detected as two screens of 1920x2160 for 60Hz operation and the resultant limited use capability which that mode offered. I am almost tempted to insert my case history here which I have on email but won't go there just yet.

From the Land Down Under, the battle and hurt @ 30Hz continues

19 Posts

February 25th, 2015 00:00

Every single 4k/UHD monitor that I know of at that time did UHD 60Hz by DP MST at that time. AFAIK there didn't exist any UHD/4k 60Hz scalers so everything had to be driven by MST. AFAIK all the UP2414Q revisions are basically the same monitor and not with any new scaler or DP 1.3 or HDMI 2.0 or anything so I'm pretty sure it is MST for 60Hz only. From what I've seen on my Windows 7+GeoForce box MST UHD 60Hz seems to work pretty well. I have the A00 UP2414Q too. Here and there I get the weird split screen thing or something else (60Hz UHD is VERY sensitive to the display port cable used, Accell cables seem to work best and if you need to use an adapter or extender you need to be really careful as by far most combinations will fail or be erratic at best) but 95% of the time just telling it to try a different connector and then telling it to go back to the proper one fixes it and it just takes like a handful of seconds. I've run all my games on it fine. And it's been beyond awesome for viewing/editing photos or anything web or text related. The UP2414Q actually uses a high end direct current method to brighten and dim the GB-r LED backlight and doesn't use cheap PWM like most LED backlit monitors do. Windows Vista seems a bit pickier at times and is a bit more likely to get thrown into a weird monitor state. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 15:00

6 Posts

February 12th, 2015 17:00

Fair point Chris.

I mentioned so because I am truly disappointed to no end with the response I have had till date including the chiding initial responses from Dell Support (to an informed and reasonably well versed customer).

Obviously such venting serves no purpose because Dell couldn't care less about non-corporate customers but all the same it does lead to poor after sales service perception to a small set of customers.

The cynic in me says that Dell couldn't care less about its customer, the after sales reputation hit, prospective future customer loss or take the effort to 'fix' a persistent and forefront issue for 'a' customer.

At the time of purchase I didn't know how the monitor was supposed to 'do' 4k60Hz and now I am expected to just live with the experience. Dell certainly were not going in the 'fine print' either with the methodology adopted.

Case in point, the question is still unanswered where a simple yes or no would close the issue from a forum perspective.

19 Posts

February 25th, 2015 00:00

"Does any version/revision of this monitor have an SST scaler which does not rely on DP daisy chaining for 4k60Hz operation?" 

What do you mean by DP daisy chaining to get 60Hz? Don't you just connect with a single cable to the one monitor directly? (although perhaps MST over a single cable to a single monitor is also called daisy chaining though? I'm not 100% sure what terms they use for that)

6 Posts

February 25th, 2015 01:00

Thanks again,

Although I have tried a few different DP cables (the one supplied in the box should have been enough though), I seem to keep getting detection and right side dropout issues. I have a newer 4k (4096) monitor and it does not seem to have those issues simply because it does have an SST scaler.

There are no adapters, converters, boxes etc in the connection. Just 1 cable end to end. I have no issues with the display itself and calibration eventually started to work with the i1Profiler, just disappointed with the MST problems. I'll try and find a newer DP cable like Accell and see if it runs more stable.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2015 01:00

Thanks for your reply.

although perhaps MST over a single cable to a single monitor is also called daisy chaining though?

That is what I was intending to say. Basically internal daisy chaining or something like that. Having to run Eyefinity mode to get it to work as a single screen. I am on Win 8.1 Pro x64 running on R9 290Xs. Due to the MST implementation it is detected as 2 screens, each running 1920x2160x60Hz  and then stitched together by the driver.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2015 00:00

I also tried replying to your response straight from the email link and despite being logged in, I get this message. Hopefully this can be fixed for the benefit of other forum users.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2015 00:00

77 Posts

March 11th, 2015 17:00

To answer the original question - no, the UP3214Q and UP2414Q are dual tile displays. I guess there's a reason why all more recent screens are single tile. the issues surrounding the dual tile mode are still not fully resolved with the A02 revision (at least as far as the Dell screens are concerned.. I can't speak for the other dual tile screens). You should be able to get an exchange for an A01 or A02 though. It took me like 6 tries and over half a year to finally get one (and another 5 or so month to replace a partially defective A01 with an A02). The thing is though, GFX card makers have developed their own fixes so you may find that depending on the driver revision the problem may not appear again, and it seems at least some people at Dell support tell you to upgrade drivers rather than to replace the device (it's obviously cheaper.. ). I tend to test the screens on nVidia drivers 331.65 - they do not contain any fixes for broken dual tile screens.. so if it works properly there, you should be okay, but that definitely requires at least an A01 screen.

@edit: You'll find some people tell you to get this and that cable. As far as I can tell (and I've gone through at least half a dozen cables.. Dell even sent me two different cables when they youldn't guarantee me an A01 exchange and I kept getting A00s), cables don't really matter and the cables that ship with the screen work perfectly fine and you do not have those half picture or sleep issues (provided you have an A01 or A02 screen). Given that there are no DP 1.2 cables (the standard requires all cables support the full bandwidth), it really shouldn't take more than using the cable that comes with the screen.

No Events found!