Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2019 17:00

UP2718Q, DUCCS support, usage

Hi there,

I recently downloaded the DUCCS software to calibrate a UP2718Q monitor. I have a few questions with regard to its operation that you may be able to help me with. I took the liberty to copy and paste below some user guidelines I found on the Dell website to assist me with my questions.

DUCCS qualified monitors (UP3218K, UP3216Q, UP3214Q, UP3017, U3014, UP2718Q, UP2716D, UP2715K, U2713H, UP2516D, UP2414Q, U2413) have in their OSD =

(On Screen Display) -Color/Color Settings -Preset Modes, two color spaces called CAL1 and CAL2. You would use these two color spaces to "save" the X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter hardware calibrations into the monitor.
Q. 1. I cannot find Cal 1 or Cal 1 presets in the Color/Color Settings on the display I have.

* Once DUCCS is installed, use the Application Info: "Check for update now" button to update to the latest version. When done, restart the computer
Complete.

* Press the Menu button to open monitor OSD (On Screen Display)
- Go to Other Settings- Factory Reset- Reset All Settings
Complete.

- Go to Displays or Display Settings and disable DP 1.2/MST
Cannot Find this option on my display.

- Go to Color Settings- Preset Modes
* Choose Color Space
- Highlight/check either Cal1 or Cal2
As mentioned above I cannot locate this option on my display.

* Exit the OSD

* The monitor USB upstream cable must be connected to the computer USB port
I believe I have this connected correctly as I had to perform a Firmware update from M2T101 to M2T102 which I did successfully.

* In a two or more monitor setup, only ONE monitor should be connected to the computer at a time when calibrating
* The X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter should be tested in TWO ways =
Test it on all of the computer USB downstream ports
Test it on all of the monitor bottom USB downstream ports

Can you elaborate on the above X-Rite i1 Display Pro connectivity guidelines. Does it connect to the display or the PC?

I have the UP2718Q connected to my PC via one USB cable and one HDMI cable.

The DUCCS software recognizes the Dell display.

After a calibration run is the calibration file loaded onto the Dell display or is it stored in the PC?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards

Richard 

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

April 17th, 2019 09:00

"After a calibration run is the calibration file loaded onto the Dell display or is it stored in the PC?" I would add to Chris response that DUCCS creates an ICC/ICM file (display profile) that describes CAL1/CAL2 state after calibration. Your computer OS (or some standalone tools) need to know this. So if you calibrate CAL1 and CAL2 you should choose as profile name at the end of the process different filenames (for example UP2516D_CAL1.icm and UP2516D_CAL2.icm). After a while if you cange OSD from CAL1 to CAL2 (or CAL2 to CAL1) then in your OS color management configuration you need to select as "default" display profile the ICC/ICM file you created with DUCCS for that OSD mode. Otherwise color managed applications like most photo edition software will show wrong colors. The same applies for factory calibration modes like sRGB or AdobeRGB, if you select on of those OSD you change "active" calibration in display, but OS (or Photoshop) won't know about this. You need to "publish" this change selecting default display profile. There should be a way to autiomatize this profile with Dell Display Manager (DDM) but if you ask the kind of questions you did maybe its out of the scope right now. There should be a thread from a few years ago here, a used explained how to bind OSD modes selected with DDM with ICM profiles in registry. I do not remember thread name or user.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 11th, 2019 06:00

* For my internal notes, click my name and private message me the UP2718Q service tag number.

* You should be using DUCCS (1.6.2).

I cannot find Cal 1 or Cal 1 presets in the Color/Color Settings on the display I have.
* Open the UP2718Q Menu
* Go to Color- Preset Modes
* Change to Color Space to see CAL1 and CAL2

Cannot Find disable DP 1.2/MST on my display.
* That does not apply to this monitor. It only applies to monitors with a DP out port.

Does it connect to the display or the PC?
* The X-Rite i1 Display Pro can either be connected to the PC or the monitor.

After a calibration run is the calibration file loaded onto the Dell display or is it stored in the PC?
* Stored in the monitor CAL1 or CAL2. So if you ever Factory Reset the monitor via the Menu, all saved calibrations are erased.

No Events found!