Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2020 16:00

UP3017, Daisy chain with different resolutions?

I have a Dell 24" monitor on a Desktop tower that runs at 1920x1080 resolution and is connected to my graphics card via a DP (Display Port) cable.

I want to add a new Dell 30" UP3017 display as my primary monitor running at 2560x1600 resolution via a DP cable to the graphics card.

Can I daisy chain the 24" 1980x1080 monitor as monitor #2  using a DP cable from the UP3017 to the 24" monitor?

Will both monitors run at their nature resolutions ie 2560x1600 and 1920x1080 in this configuration?

I could also run the 24" display using an HDMI cable from the monitor to the graphics card as display #2 and the 2560 display with a DP cable into the graphics card as display #1.

Any advice on which is the best way to proceed appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 20th, 2020 13:00

The resolutions available are dictated by the graphics card.

The UP3017 User's Guide page 28 shows how to setup a DP MST (Multi Stream Transport) chain.

Remember to open the UP3017 Menu- Display. Then set DP MST to ON, page 41.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 20th, 2020 15:00

@Normu  there's no requirement that the displays involved in a daisy chain must use the same resolution.  A daisy chain is just a way to use DisplayPort MST without an actual MST hub, and DisplayPort MST treats each display completely independently, just as if you had multiple independent physical outputs.  The only restrictions are:

• The entire chain must use DisplayPort signaling, i.e. no HDMI/DVI/VGA adapters anywhere.
  • All displays in the chain except the last one must support at least DisplayPort 1.2, including DisplayPort MST.  The last display only needs to support DisplayPort 1.1.
  • The source port from the GPU and the displays along the chain must all support a new enough DisplayPort revision to carry the bandwidth required to support the combined requirements of all displays running off of it.  A DisplayPort 1.2 interface has enough bandwidth to run 2560x1600 plus 1920x1080, and DisplayPort 1.2 is the earliest revision that even offered DisplayPort MST.

So as long as your GPU actually supports DisplayPort MST, then it would also support at least DisplayPort 1.2, in which case your setup will work exactly as you hope.

Connecting the two displays to completely separate outputs will also work just fine if you prefer, and the end result from an image quality and functionality standpoint would almost always the same.  There are only a small number of scenarios where HDMI and DisplayPort behave differently -- NVIDIA G-Sync only runs over DisplayPort, for example.  And many GPUs can run higher-end display setups over DisplayPort simply because at any given time, the current DisplayPort standard has supported more bandwidth than the current HDMI standard.  But for typical usage scenarios, as long as the GPU outputs, cables, and display inputs you're considering would all support the bandwidth required to run the display(s) in question at native resolution and refresh rate -- and you're not using ancient VGA with its inferior image quality due to its analog signal type -- then any way you want to cable the display(s) will work just as well as any other.

So a daisy chain might be nice if it helps clean up your cabling a bit, but otherwise using DP+HDMI outputs on your GPU would also be perfectly fine.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 29th, 2020 01:00

Good Day. We have not heard back from you yet. Do reach out to us in case you require further assistance from Dell, until then we shall be archiving the case at our end. ^MP

No Events found!