Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

25 Posts

April 11th, 2014 04:00

@JN189:

I think you've missed Chris mentioning those problems are scheduled to be resolved very soon by Nvidia trough drivers. As I've mentioned up there, I do have only a problem with monitor not getting signal. So, I guess that last (for me) particular problem might get resolved indeed.

Unfortunately, this might still be a show stopping problem for many, so...

5 Posts

April 11th, 2014 11:00

I'm very happy to report that the new nVidia beta driver 337.50 has apparently fixed ALL the issues I was having with this monitor! I've only been running it for a short while but, like many here, the problems I was having with blank screen/ half screen on reboots are solved. Bios screen is present on boot also (never had a problem with this on my setup). I have dual 780ti's in SLI. BTW, I can play almost all games with settings near max (even AA) at between 40 and 60 FPS.

The only thing I havent tested yet is wake from sleep. Which of course was probably the most annoying bug. But I will post again later after I have tested it. Cheers 

19 Posts

April 11th, 2014 12:00

Sadly 337.50 has made no difference for me.

Same here. Confirmed running version 337.50 (with clean install selected through the installer) and the first thing that happened was a half-screen at the logon screen. Power cycled the monitor to (hopefully) bring back the left half but the image never came back. This is the same exact behavior as before. Worth mentioning is that I too am running dual 780 Ti cards in SLI, so I'm surprised and perhaps even a bit skeptical of cbhappy's results with the same configuration.

Still in contact with technical support to get a return exception as I'm now past my 21/30-day return window (not sure which, no one tells the same tale). I was told there would be a 24-48 hour turnaround time on my request, however a week later I'm getting the runaround again while their "manager is trying to review if this is a known issue for this monitor". I have provided them with the direct link to this thread.

Someone else mentioned this but I'd also like to add that I too am noticing a trend in which the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. There's a lack of technical AND customer-oriented transparency into the issue, departments within Dell seem severely fragmented and have very limited realm of control (which, in the end only makes the customer experience worse), and there doesn't seem to be a centralized knowledge database for issues like this to be clearly communicated or for resolution procedures to be disseminated. I'd like to reiterate the fact that friends and colleagues have sworn off Dell products in the future not because of their own personal experiences, but from mine alone -- that says something.

18 Posts

News of a A01 revision is very interesting.

Chris can you confirm this released is available worldwide and it contains the firmware updates that fix the problems listed in the thread?

4 Posts

Sadly 337.50 has made no difference for me.

28 Posts

Hello,

on thursday this week my Dell refurbished UP3214Q arrived from Dell support. It is revision A01. I tried the monitor with the Nvidia 331.93 and the newest 337.50 drivers and my EVGA 780 TI Classified ACX.

All Problems are fixed. No half screen issue and no standby problems with both Driver versions. All works fine.

Thanks to dell for solving the problems.

MM69

25 Posts

April 11th, 2014 13:00

How do you check revision?

18 Posts

April 11th, 2014 15:00

It will be written on the back of your monitor next to the serial number. Mine says REV A00

33 Posts

April 11th, 2014 16:00

All Problems are fixed. No half screen issue and no standby problems with both Driver versions.

Good to know that the problem is solved. However, I will never accept a refurbished screen which was deliberately sold with a known problem. Luckily, Chris confirmed that we will be able to get a new monitor exchange by the end of April. I will wait until end of May, just to be sure I don't end-up with a A00.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2014 17:00

So no one has had better results with 337.50 drivers? Weird. Sorry to hear that. Since installing the BETA drivers this morning I've had much better results. When monitor sleeps, before Windows sleeps, waking via keyboard or mouse has so far worked. Same with wake from sleep with Win 8.1. It wakes to login screen and it's even full screen. Not half screen. I did have to power cycle, but only once so far. Cold boot and reboot have been working flawlessly for me. I used to get a lot of blank and half screens on cold and reboots and whenever the monitor or system went to sleep. Hope others have as good luck as I apparently did. I really didnt want to send this monitor back for a refurbished one with new firmware. And just for the record I am perplexed that Dell wont release the firmware update that they have to review sites to their customers. It's ridiculous.

Like I said I have dual EVGA 780ti's and:

EVGA Dark x79 MB

i7-3930K @ 4.5 

32 GB Corsair Platinum

14 Posts

April 11th, 2014 18:00

When I experienced the half-screen issue on an ATI card, it was around December 20th using the then latest drivers for Win7. I previously ran an older revision on Win8.1 without those issues. As I sold the computer with the 6970, I have nothing further to report. The issue also pops up with intel's HD 4400 though (as found on a Gigabyte Brix with an intel U4500).

19 Posts

April 11th, 2014 18:00

At this point I'm not entirely convinced the firmware is actually user-flashable, or at least reasonably so. If the process requires a JTAG device for burning the firmware for example, I can understand the propensity to keep it an internal process, but again with the lack of transparency they haven't just come out and said that.

There's also the statement from Chris in this very thread which states the firmware update should never have been developed in the first case. Coupled with the lack of a confirmation or even changelog from Dell stating whether firmware actually fixes anything (and what exactly), one must wonder why people are still lining up for firmware updates at all.

An A01 model is interesting, but again, only if we're made aware of the changes that were made (are they design changes, or merely firmware updates?). If the physical design of the monitor was somehow changed to improve upon these issues, then where does that leave the A00 customers? Especially those of us who ponied up for the 5-year warranty, which is definitely not paying off for me right now.

Either way, I'm glad to hear you're seeing better results one way or another cbhappy, maybe some aspect of your configuration/experience can help narrow down and resolve the problem for the rest of us as we're not quite there yet.

9 Posts

April 11th, 2014 19:00

Ah, I did miss that. I was in a rush, and I guess I misread it as a speculation rather than an announcement that Dell has indeed actually been working with Nvidia. Good to hear.

Btw - I can also confirm that the latest Nvidia beta (337.50) does seem to have addressed the wake-from-sleep issues so far. I hesitate to proclaim it totally fixed until I give it some more time, since I previously jumped the gun on some other 'workarounds' I thought I'd come up with that worked intermittently... but so far it has reliably come back from sleep mode since I installed it earlier today without any need to cold boot it. A good sign. Incidentally, I'm working on one of the original monitors.

Odd that nothing was in the notes for the 337.50 driver relating to this at all, though.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2014 19:00

prenetic: I was pretty surprised myself that an nVidia driver update, of all things, would fix the problem. I will update if things go south again.

About the firmware. Anandtech and a couple other sites that reviewed this monitor make it seem as if Dell just sent them the driver (sorry, meant firmware update):

"After a firmware update I felt most of these issues were resolved, but as soon as I updated the Dell Calibration software, the monitor would no longer stay in sync in MST mode anymore."

And a few lines later:

"Note: The firmware update that I installed is not being provided to end users. You would need to exchange your monitor for a refurbished one with the updated firmware from Dell. More details can be read in the thread on Dell's website here."

Here's the link for others' convenience: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7906/dell-up3214q-review/2 

33 Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

At this point I'm not entirely convinced the firmware is actually user-flashable, or at least reasonably so. If the process requires a JTAG device for burning the firmware for example, I can understand the propensity to keep it an internal process, but again with the lack of transparency they haven't just come out and said that.

I doubt that is the case, or else how Anandtech would be able to flash the firmware provided by Dell?

No Events found!