Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

18 Posts

September 21st, 2014 11:00

GPU: MSI GTX 970

Driver: 344.11

Revision: A01

I have not experienced any issue of the monitor not coming out of standby and requiring power cycle.

Have you always had that A01 revision monitor or was that a replacement?

15 Posts

September 21st, 2014 12:00

Have you always had that A01 revision monitor or was that a replacement?

It was A01 when I bought it.

77 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 03:00

I can also report that the 344.11 drivers still have the standby issue - at least on the A00 screen. The behavior varies a little though - display sleep (not power off) can get you the proper picture when you bring it back alive, bot other times, you get two non matching halves. I even got one where 2/3 of the screen were okay, and the remaining third was duplicated (two cursors, and every taskbar icon was there twice).

I can't say for the A01 as it developed a defect. NVIDIA recommends to get the A01 though. I hope that exchange works better in the US than over here in Europe where they keep trying to get people to keep the A00 and just install various NVIDIA drivers until something sticks.

1 Message

October 12th, 2014 22:00

More tests...

I connect a 2 cables into Dell UP2414Q, 1 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI at same time, but only DisplayPort cable setup for 4K @ 60Hz, the HDMI cable its only physically connected.

After that the monitor had none of the problems mentioned in the topic, it is working perfectly. The only problem is during boot, the bios screen is not shown.

Thank you for this splendid suggestion! My newly delivered UP2414Q (from B&H) is Rev00 and I'm using it with a Geforce GTX 750Ti with driver 344.11 under Win7 Pro. It had the failure to wake from sleep and the windows resizing to 640x480 problems. Connecting a HDMI cable as well as the DisplayPort (set to be the 1.2 MST input source) solved ALL my problems, just as you note. While less than perfect, a $10 fix is OK with me.

38 Posts

October 13th, 2014 01:00

Hey Humba,

Are you still on A00? 

Customer service replaced my 24 without question and 32 without too much trouble in Australia to A01.

15 Posts

October 14th, 2014 09:00

Although I can select all kinds of resolutions, in Games if I select a lower resolution than 2160p, it will show black bars around the picture. So When I select 1080p it will shows the picture in a square in the middle of the screen and show big black bars all around which is very annoying and unplayable. Similar to a video that has black bars on the sides and on bottom / top.

10 Posts

October 14th, 2014 12:00

This is a byproduct of how MST works, or how the videocard deals with MST and lower resolutions.

To work around it, tell the monitor to disable DP1.2. Then you will get proper scaling. You will lose 60hz at 2160p, but 1920x1200 and lower will get 60 hz and will be scaled by the monitor. (On my system I cannot get 60 hz at 2560x1440 - probably a driver limitation of NVIDIA + Windows).

77 Posts

October 14th, 2014 15:00

Actually, the display is capable of running 1080p on the full screen just fine - intel's latest drivers for the Haswell graphics unit do it (I personally verified). So, that seems to be a limitation of the NVIDIA drivers. It is already under investigation - I opened a ticked on lower resolutions a while back and the 344.11 drivers were supposed to fix the issue - perhaps they did for the Asus screen, but not the Dell (I only tested on an A00 though).

As for 2560x1440, the display doesn't seem to report that as a supported resolution in MST mode. The Asus screen seems to be running an older scaler firmware that cannot handle this resolution - whether it is the same for Dell I've not been told.. they're now looking into it.

So, for 1080p, the ball's in NVIDIA's court, for 2560x1440 it's anybody's guess (my guess would be that they probably did the same as ASUS.. skimped on upgrading the scaler firmware - that is a fixable issue though given Dell's track record with these dual tile screens I wouldn't hold my breath).

1 Message

October 15th, 2014 09:00

While my problem is not identical.. I have got an ATI based set-up (6970) graphics card and windows isn't reporting 2560x1440 as a support resolution (despite DELL stating it as working)..

I have no idea what SST / MST modes are but has anyone got a solution for ATI cards i could try? Or am i doing something wrong? (i am connected via DP but have disable 1.2 mode for now and 1.2 mode locks to 4k res only). Thanks.

BTW: i have rev A01.

15 Posts

October 15th, 2014 12:00

This is a byproduct of how MST works, or how the videocard deals with MST and lower resolutions.

To work around it, tell the monitor to disable DP1.2. Then you will get proper scaling. You will lose 60hz at 2160p, but 1920x1200 and lower will get 60 hz and will be scaled by the monitor. (On my system I cannot get 60 hz at 2560x1440 - probably a driver limitation of NVIDIA + Windows).

Are you sure about this? I remember running 1080p full screen DP1.2  on OSX.

Btw, I will probably end up selling the Dell UP2414Q since I found a great priced monitor:

Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC/00

3840x2160 UHD-VA, 3ms, 50m:1, Speakers, VGA/HDMI/mDP/DP

Picture/Display
•LCD panel type: VA LCD
•Backlight type: W-LED system
•Panel Size: 39.56 inch / 100.5 cm
•Effective viewing area: 878.11 (H) x 485.35 (V)
•Aspect ratio: 16:9
•Optimum resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz
•Response time (typical): 8.5 (Gray to Gray) ms
•SmartResponse (typical): 3 ms (Gray to Gray)
•Brightness: 300 cd/m²
•Contrast ratio (typical): 5,000:1
•SmartContrast: 50,000,000:1
•Viewing angle: 176º (H) / 176º (V), @ C/R > 20
•Picture enhancement: SmartImage
•Display colors: 8 bit
•Scanning Frequency: VGA/HDMI: 30 - 99 kHz ; DP: 30 - 160 kHz (H) / VGA: 56 - 80 Hz ; HDMI/DP: 23 - 80 Hz (V)
•MHL: 1080p@30Hz
•sRGB
•Brightness uniformity: 97% ~ 103%
•Delta E: <3 (sRGB mode)

40" inch VA panel with pretty good response time on the spec at similar price for what I paid for this 24" inch display.

It will be out in End of October or later. It remains to be seen if it will use MST or SST. :)

15 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 10:00

I have started getting bugs with MST again, on Nvidia 970:

The picture gets split in 3 parts and when I move the mouse cursor around, the image is moved in all 3 parts. Still waiting for the Philips monitor to get released, really hope it will use SST @ 60hz.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2014 15:00

I just got mine a couple of days ago.  I am not having any issues so far and it is version A00 manufactured in Jan. 2014.  The firmware version is 1019 so I'm not sure what the A01 is but I know the first version for A00 was 1003.

I connected both DP 1.2 and HDMI cables so when using the monitor I am on DP and when I want to get into the bios I log off and change inputs to HDMI and reboot.  Then I see the bios and all of the post processes.  Then I switch back to DP when I get to the login on Win 8.1.

I am using the Nvidia 344.48 drivers on SLI Titans.  Let me know if you want full system specs.  This is the most spectacular display I have ever had or seen.  All my games run on Ultra settings with v-sync enabled and they run like butter.  I am coming from a U3011 Dell monitor.  The Ultrasharp monitors while being expensive have never had any backlight bleeding or dead/bright pixels for me.

Hopefully this one will keep running good and Dell to start allowing people to flash their firmwares.  It would be nothing for them to release the FW file and a flash utility.

30 Posts

November 12th, 2014 23:00

How is dell's return policy with the UP3214Q in sweden? I had it now for 5 months and it just gets worse and worse! just like my old U2711

Cant enable DisplayPort 1.2 there is always SOME problem happening and all those sleep mode bugs drives me nuts!

And it`s also impossible to use a USB 3.0 Cable attached to it, then it takes forever for the PC to boot up or it just restarts time after time or just goes blank or in to windows repair mode, the USB with cardreader was one big Selling Point for me as I have the PC in Another room from the monitor.

Can one get the Money back or do you get a refurbished one???

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2014 10:00

Refunds are only allowed within the first 30 days from the Dell invoice date. All exchanges done outside of the first 30 days are refurbished. You will need to contact Dell Technical Support in your country to arrange the exchange.

30 Posts

November 16th, 2014 14:00

Are all the problem fixed, the USB 3.0 and the sleep mode bug? Enable DisplayPort 1.2 could maybe be fixed with better graphic drivers I hope. Anyone else have problem with using a USB 3.0 cable to the display? To me it really messes up the entire PC with both Win 8.1 and Win 7. Or is there a some setting in bios that would fix it?

No Events found!