Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2006 13:00

Using Dual Monitors via One DVI Port

I have two LCD monitors which I want to connect via DVI but only have one port.  Can I buy a DVI splitter cable that will enable me to utilize both monitors and the PC will recognize them both as separate devices?  If so, what should I look for and where can I purchase?  Thanks!

3 Posts

January 16th, 2006 14:00

I have dual monitors at work (1 LCD and 1 CRT) and there is a splitter that is plugged into the DVI port, but it splits to 2 VGA ports. Since this is my work computer, I have no idea where the splitter was purchased from, but I'm sure that with a little digging you could probably find one.

January 16th, 2006 17:00

Typically, if your DVI port is Dual-Link capable, you can get a cable that will let you drive two flat panels. However, most cards that have dual-link support are higher end models, and would likely have two dvi ports anyway.

27 Posts

January 19th, 2006 10:00

Does the VGA dual monitor cable support different desktops for each monitor or is it just a clone of the same desktop?

16 Posts

January 20th, 2006 13:00

Unless the video card itself supports driving two monitors as separate desktops then no cable splitter is going to do it. The card itself has to support acting as two desktops, this isn't a cabling function. So checkt to see of the video card has this abilility. Most with only one connector will not support this. A few higher-end cards might but unless you paid a lotta money for that card it's unlikely. Check into the display card first.

9 Posts

January 20th, 2006 14:00

The video card has two connections, one VGA and one DVI.  I want to connect both monitors via DVI.  Theoretically, because it has the two connection capability, I can connect both with a DVI cable splitter, correct?

9 Posts

January 20th, 2006 17:00

I apologize for my ignorance regarding this issue.  I've not dealt much with video cards, cabling, etc.
The card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

January 20th, 2006 17:00

Unless, as has been said many times now, the card supports two seperate displays through the DVI port (Dual-Link), no cable you can buy will let you use the two displays independantly. Any splitter will only provide two identical pictures.

Perhaps if you told us more about the card, specifically the manufacturer and model name/number of the card, we could tell you for sure whether it will work.
No Events found!