Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2009 14:00

Yellow tint in windows picture viewer with SP2309W monitor

I just received my new Dell Sp2309W monitor and have it connected to a Dell 530 using a nVidia 9500GT with 1 GB memory on the video card. Th monitor is connected with a DVI cable.

This monitor produces a yellow tint on pictures in Windows 7 picture viewer or in windows live. Web sites show yellow tint on pictures as well. I have tired all kinds of different color profiles including the ever popular sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I have tried many different settings with the OSD with no result. I have a Samsung monitor connected as well and have none of the yellow issues. I have tried both ports on video card and made sure dvi cable is tight. Same issue.

If I have these 2 monitors in a dual monitor configuration and drag picture from Dell screen to Samsung screen you can see yellow go away as it is dragged across.

Text on the this SP2309W is super clear and vivid as is any other content. HD video looks good but at time can show some extra yellow.

Besides a problem with this monitor I have no other ideas of what is going on. It may be a bad monitor.

Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

December 7th, 2009 09:00

If I have these 2 monitors in a dual monitor configuration and drag picture from Dell screen to Samsung screen you can see yellow go away as it is dragged across.
* I need to see some pictures of this.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2009 19:00

Here are 2 pictures and a youtube video as well.

From Dell SP2309W     -  http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6112/fromdelsp2309w.jpg

From Samsung 204BW   -   http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7927/fromsamsung204bw.jpg

YouTube  -     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orJyTP1UZ-I

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

December 12th, 2009 13:00

In the pictures, the bark of the tree looks more vibrant on the Dell then the Samsung. The left side of the Dell is a better white then the samsung. Are they both connected via DVI? If yes, have you swapped the monitors to the other DVI port?

4 Posts

December 13th, 2009 10:00

Thank you for your help on this. Both monitors are connected via DVI and I have swapped them back and forth. I have tried just one monitor at a time as well. I agree that the overall clarity and how vibrant the picture looks is much nicer on the Dell. It is mostly the yellow tint. I will post some better pictures of the issue when I get home from work this evening.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

December 16th, 2009 05:00

From the lab -
* Perform a monitor factory reset and re-check
* If that doesn’t work, switch the preset mode from Standard (default) to Customer (RGB) mode so that it will use the panel’s native color and re-check

6 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 16:00

Saw your video last night and received my monitor this morning so I was a little worried. Used the monitor all day before I noticed it. The image I noticed it on had it really bad, but I have `some` good news for you because I've managed to alleviate most of it. I don't know what your success has been with it

Originally I was using the colour profile provided with the monitor. What I found was that when I opened photoshop it gave me a message saying the colour profile is defective. If I chose to ignore the colour profile in use, photoshop reverts to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. When photoshop was using that the images came out normal.
In the following picture on the left you see photoshop using  sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and on the right you see my monitor displaying the same image but using the colour profile provided.
Evidently it can display an image correctly. 

Faulty Image

The problem is in part with windows 7. When you change the colour profiles, you see absolutely no difference. If you have an image open the colours won't change. If you close the image and open the image again, the colours won't change. You need to close it, then wait about 10 seconds, and then open it.
Using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the windows 7 colour management gave me the following image.

Correct Image

And photoshop stopped complaining that the colour space was bad. Originally I thought it was a fault with windows partly because I first observed the change after setting the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 colour profile as the system default but my testing has shown that that shoudln't make a difference. Just set it either globally or exclusively on that monitor to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, close the image - wait - and then reopen it, and it should be fine.

Incidentally when I used photoshop to set the colour profile to the one provided with the monitor I got an image which is more blue. Which is particularly strange since it when applied to the system we get this yellow tint. The worst thing I found is that while taking this picture, I'm starting to see what appears to be a little bit of yellow. Below is the image with the monitor's Dell provided colour profile applied on photoshop on the left with the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 image on the right

SP2409w vs  sRGB IEC61966-2.1

It looks to me like the colour profile provided is meant to stop the yellow but the way windows 7 reads the file is making it worse

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 17:00

That is awesome information. I have not had a lot of time to play with it lately. What are the exact settings you are using on the monitor? From the OSD.

Thanks

6 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 18:00

I don't know what colour profile I had it on in the last image. I thought I had broken it. I messed with it for a bit, then put just put it back and the two images match now. Its a bit difficult because I'm trying to compare on the same screen so I am interested to hear how it compares between your two screens

Brightness 75
Constrast 70

Input Color Format RGB
Gamma PC
Mode Selection Graphics
Preset Modes sRGB

Wide Mode Fill
Sharpness 50
Zoom 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off - I have no idea what the difference is on or off but I didn't want it messing with anything while I was testing
Response Time Overdrive 

12 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 22:00

I can't tell if you have resolved your issue with the yellow tint in windows picture viewer, but here are the steps to fix it...

1.  Click Start, type Color Management in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the Color Management dialog box, click to select the Use my settings for this device check box.
3. In the Profiles associated with this device list, click the color profile that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
Note If you receive a warning message, click Yes.
4. Click Close to close the Color Management dialog box.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Open an image in Windows Photo Gallery to verify that the issue is resolved.

:emotion-1:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2010 13:00

I wonder if the issue is resolved?

Edit: I received it awhile back and been using it since without any problem whatsoever. All iz well :) loving the monitor so far!

Edit (8/2/10): I also had problem with adobe photoshop color profile and it would warn me about it every time i opened adobe photoshop. However, I was able to fix this issue by simply uninstalling the monitor device from "Device Manager" rem to check  "Delete this driver from etc etc check box" after a restart everything worked fine. I also realized that the best Preset mode for this monitor seems to be "Custom RBG" and all this problem start happening since I updated the driver from Windows Update which was provided by "Dell" of course and since than I've encountered the adobe photoshop issue.

No Events found!