Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2008 11:00

Autochanger installation

Hi,

I new to networker and I need some help on this.
I have recently installed networker on Windows 2003 server, but when I run a backup I got the error "Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool ...".

This, i think, is due to the autochanger that is not enabled.
We have a license for networker autochanger software 1-64 slots but I do not know how to use this in Networker.

My question is how can i install and enable the autochanger?

Best regards,

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 10th, 2008 15:00

Add license code in registration through NMC configuration tab.

443 Posts

November 10th, 2008 16:00

If the license is in place and the auto-changer is still disabled, right click on the auto-changer name in the devices tab of NMC and select enable/disable. Alternatively, you could open the properties (right click on the auto-changer and select properties) and select enabled.

181 Posts

November 10th, 2008 19:00

Hi,
Enabling and Disabling the Autochanger is right click ont he devices and click on Enable / Disable , If it is enable you can see the tapes in the Right Pane . If not Try to Disable again and Enable it again and Go to monitoring-> log , See the drive is disabled and again enable and check in the log ,
The error which you have shown is also exists while there is no tape with the media pool you have mentioned . And also it come due to schedules . create one schedule and assign that schedule to the particular group . Try these three cases , hopefully it will work .

Rajesh

455 Posts

November 11th, 2008 01:00

Hi,

There can be more that reason for the problem you mentioned;

1. Ensure that the autochanger is licensed and enabled as per previous message in thins thread.

2. Checkthat your volumes (Tapes) are properly labelled and in the right Pool.

3. To check if you Autochanger license is emanle; go the command prompt and run nsrlic

4. Look at the message in your daemon.log in the log dir. ( copy it and open the copy with wordpad)

How did you install your Autochanger/Library? have you configured you device/devices in your library?

455 Posts

November 11th, 2008 10:00

Have you configured the autochanger/device?

Try doing it using JBCONFIG from the CLI ( not via the GUI)

21 Posts

November 11th, 2008 10:00

Hi,

I have added the autochanger license thru NMC but I am stil unable to see the autochanger in the devices tab.

Please advise.

regards,

21 Posts

November 12th, 2008 13:00

Hi HabibG2,

It works now, I did my first automatic backup last night and it works great. However when i try with Networker User i get blank window.

The issue with the autochanger was what you have advised in your previous post:

1. Ensure that the autochanger is licensed and enabled as per previous message in thins thread.

2. Checkthat your volumes (Tapes) are properly labelled and in the right Pool.

When I run JBCONFIG, it says that all the jukeboxes are already configured.
No new jukeboxes are found.

regards,

455 Posts

November 13th, 2008 00:00

Thats great.

Now you can mark you question as answered and allocate you point as Helpful or Correct.

What are you trying to do with Networker User?

21 Posts

November 13th, 2008 07:00

Hi HabibG,

I have two questions for you, please bear with me but I have to get this software running by the end of this month. I appreciate your help.

1.Q - I tried to do a backup from Networker User and i got this even from the server:

5766:backup: waiting 520 seconds then retrying
5767:backup: NSR server K2: retry needed
5766:backup: waiting 538 seconds then retrying
5766:backup: waiting 559 seconds then retrying
5766:backup: waiting 586 seconds then retrying
5766:backup: waiting 606 seconds then retrying
39077:backup: error, Automatically cancelling save request: save is unable to start active session in 87614 seconds

5777:backup: Cannot open backup session with K2
7167:backup: backup completion time: 11/12/2008 4:28:35 PM

2.Q - I tried to install Networker client on a machine that is not on the same subnet as the networker server but it seems that the client does not see the server.

Best regards,

455 Posts

November 14th, 2008 01:00

1. Check that all the NW services are running.
Look at the event viewer on the NW server for any errors.
What are you trying to backup and which client? NW User will backup the client when it is invoked.
Make sure you specify the correct Group when using NW User and make sure you have a volume/Tape assigned to the pool and that the group is enabled in the pool configuration.

2. This very often a question of connectivity.
Check that the backup server name and client name can be resolved; nslookup.
Check the entry in the DNS server.
If a firewall exist between the subnets check the NW ports are open.

455 Posts

November 18th, 2008 08:00

To change the pool in the GUI you have to do the followings;

1. Create you Group if you have not already done so.
2. Go to Media/Media Pools. Right Click and create a POOL and give it a name.
3. Ensure that the Group is selected in the Groups list ( If you are not using the DEFAULT" pool you can deselect it. ( Notice more than one group can use the same Pool.)
4. In your Client configuration on the General Tab, you can select your Group.
5. Ensure you have volume/s allocated to your pool. This is done by label the volume and select the correct pool. ( Beware - the DEFAULT pool is selected by default, so you need to change it. Also remember when you label a tape all the data are wiped out.

So next time you perform a adhoc backup , just select your group and the pool will automatically be selected.

21 Posts

November 18th, 2008 08:00

Hi HabibG2,

It's working great now.

The issue with the backup from the client was the Default pool which was empty. I don't know how to change the pool in the GUI but I got it working with the command "save -b mypool path".

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
No Events found!