Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2010 03:00

Automedia Management Question

Networker 7.4. Administrator - Devices - Library, select libary then properties tag Configuration - Help gives the following:

Auto media management - Enabling this attribute allows automated media management for volumes in the jukebox, which includes automatic labeling of 'blank' volumes. Any volume without a NetWorker label is considered to be blank.

Administrator - Devices-Device and select  device then properties, Tag General - Help gives:

Auto media management - Enabling this attribute allows automated media management for volumes loaded into the device. This includes automatic mounting of NetWorker volumes loaded into the device, automatic labeling of 'blank' volumes loaded into the device, and automatic recycling of eligible volumes loaded into the device. Any volume without a NetWorker label is considered to be blank. For jukebox devices the value of this attribute is inherited from the Jukebox resource.

I did not understand  these  explanation quite well.

1. If the AMM is not ticked on library, It could be ticked at the particular device level, which means that the value of AMM is not inhereted from jukebox resource.

2. What about automatic mounting of Networker volumes loaded into the device? I do not have automedia management  ticked  for jukebox and for that device and it still works?

3. Automatic recycling of eligible volumes it also seems to be working and (there are  Label with (R) included on Media menu) without AMM  ticked?

I did not understand the meaning loaded into the device and mount ontop device. It seems to me that is  the same?

445 Posts

March 16th, 2010 03:00

AAM is useful for the following situations: -

1. Automatic labelling of scratch or blank volumes into a poll required for a backup.

2. Labelling volumes which are recyclable from one pool into another (if recycle to/from pools is set).

Without AAM set you cannot do the above.

You do not need AAM for labelling volumes which are recyclable when the pool is the same.

Automatic mounting of a volume in a device is different and will work as we are effectively treating this as a stand alone device.

For standalone device you could have an operator who changes the tapes daily but does not have the knowledge or rights to be able to access the NetWorker GUI. So they can change the tape and NetWorker will automatically mount this in the drive when required for the backup. Of course of there is no tape in the device because it has been returned to the slot for any reason, this will also fail. We assume with stand alone devices the tape will always be present.

In a Jukebox we will automatically select, load and mount a tape for the backup regardless of the AAM setting - AAM in a jukebox is for labelling only in the situations described above.

Bill Mason

No Events found!