Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 22nd, 2011 15:00

Clarification for NetWorker licensing with VMware VADP/VCB

Could I please have clarification for the licensing requirements with NetWorker 7.6.2.x and VADP/VCB.

Their are conflicting statement in the latest license guide for NetWorker;

Licensing NetWorker support for VMware

The client connection license used for physical hosts in non-VCB/VADP configurations is now referred to as a Virtual Edition Client Connection license.

When upgrading to NetWorker 7.6 SP2, existing client connection licenses are recognized and will be used to license the physical host.

Is this statement correct?

When VCB or VADP is being used, each proxy backup host will consume one Virtual Edition Client Connection license, regardless of how many virtual clients are configured to backup using the proxy backup host.

This statement conflicts with the next statement below;

VADP licensing

For VADP backups of a VMware environment, a regular client connection license on the proxy host is sufficient.

The following license model is used:

One Virtual Edition Client license is required per physical host for ESX backups using proxy servers via either VCB or VADP.

Does this mean that NetWorker enforces the use of a Virtual Edition Client license now? Most of our sites have been licensing their VMware virtual clients with standard client connection licenses.

Will NetWorker 7.6.2.x disallow VCB backups without having a Virtual Edition Client license now?

One NetWorker Client Connection license is required per VADP proxy host regardless of the number of virtual machines and ESX servers configured to perform backups by using the proxy backup host.

This statement follows the current licensing methodology.

Using existing VCB licenses to support VADP

When upgrading to NetWorker release 7.6 Service Pack 2, the VADP proxy is used instead of VCB. Upon upgrading, existing VCB licenses will automatically be migrated to support VADP.

What VCB licenses? I don’t know of any currently?

Thanks

Richard

2.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 22:00

Backups of virtual clients via a standard client license (like licensing physical clients) will still be possible.

VCB/VADP licenses are needed whenever you use snapshot technology on the ESX/vSphere server.

I assume the VADP license is the same as the VCB license. They will most likely report differently now when you verify them with "nsrcap -nvv -c enabler_code" on the different NW version. The new name will obviously refer to VADP to indicate that this technology is also supported.

Unfortunately i do not have an enabler code to verify this.

June 23rd, 2011 23:00

Richard: Very interesting finding and I am interested in seeing EMC respond to this license question... The way I read it is that the client and the VADP proxy will need to be licensed.  The VADP proxy would only need 1 license rather than a license per client it "serves".  And I agree with your question..... "What VCB licenses", I dont recall ever seeing it either...

177 Posts

June 29th, 2011 10:00

It looks like we have some documentation issues - trying to say something, but has mixed terms (and confusing terms "VCB licensing").  I'm digging in to the docs that represent the info and will reply back shortly.

177 Posts

June 30th, 2011 15:00

We’ve gone through a few docs that include content about licensing in VMware environments – and plan to make some improvements ASAP.  Let me see if I can clarify some things:

You are correct - there is no “VCB license” by name. This language was used as a short way of saying “the client license used for the VCB proxy.”  We will update the doc to be clearer.

• In 2008, NetWorker 7.4 SP3 introduced the Virtual Edition Client – intended to give users a way to back up many VMs without individually licensing for each VM.  Originally this applied to ESX servers to enable any number of hosted VMs to have the client software installed and to be backed up.  The license is also now required for the VADP proxy.

• When VCB was first supported in NetWorker, a proxy could be enabled with a standard client connection.  With the new 7.6 SP2 VADP integration – a Virtual Edition Client license is now required for the backup proxy.  VCB users will inevitably upgrade to use the VADP support and instead of forcing a license upgrade (from standard to Virtual Edition), the license already in use – likely a standard client connection – will be used for the VADP proxy after upgrade.  This is what the sentence: “existing VCB licenses will automatically be migrated to support VADP” was attempting to convey.  Going forward I believe the language will be:  The existing license used by the VCB proxy will automatically be migrated to support the VADP proxy.

• This sentence: “The client connection license used for physical hosts in non-VCB/VADP configurations is now referred to as a Virtual Edition Client Connection license.” is confusing and will be deleted.

• To take advantage of the Virtual Edition Client license model still requires the admin to identify the client as a virtual client during the configuration process. Enforcement therefore is the same as your experience in earlier versions.  This means Richard that there will be no change for your customers that are simply licensing each VM for backup on a 1 to 1 basis with client connection licenses (like licensing physical clients as Bingo pointed out).

• Hopefully this addresses the points in the chain regarding licensing.  Look for updates in the docs as soon as we can get the wording settled and submitted.

Thanks for helping us here.

-Eric

68 Posts

June 30th, 2011 16:00

Question so the current Dedicated Storage Nodes (Storage Nodes/1 & Storage Nodes/21) license will not be useable for the Virtual Edition Client Connection license?

If I have say 500 NetWorker Client Connections/100 licenses these will not carry forward to Virtual Edition Client Connection license?

If I have say 10 Dedicated Storage Nodes license and I stop using the storage nodes for  VADP proxy I will have to replace my current Storage node license's?

Will the current licenses be able to be used or will we be forced to buy new licenses?

Last year EMC Networker said it was going to make the Licenses easyer (not have so may for each and every thing like we do now).

June 30th, 2011 16:00

Eric

Thanks for clarifying this.

One additional question:

I have tested the VADP backups with NetWorker 7.6.2 and you are right with reference NetWorker graces previously configured proxy hosts (Standard NetWorker Client license) with a Virtual Edition License. NSRLIC shows 1 available, 1 used.

What would happen if the customer changed their proxy host?

How is NetWorker tracking this graced license, as this does not get created within the registration view.

I realise if the customer added an additional proxy host for VADP backups they would need to purchase an additional Virtual edition license.

Thanks

Richard

177 Posts

July 1st, 2011 11:00

Richard - on your question about what happens if/when the customer changes their proxy host - I don't offhand know the answer - let me ask the 7.6 SP2 team.  Once that has morphed to a Virtual Edition, my guess is that it will be characterized as such going forward (even if the original proxy host is eliminated and replaced).

Lee - on your question about Storage Nodes.  Nothing changes with regard to Storage Node licenses.  Above we were discussing just the base-client licensing.  A proxy can be just a client (backed up by a remote storage node), or it can itself be a storage node.  It sounds like you have proxies that are also Storage Nodes.  Any Storage Node licenses you have (Dedicated or otherwise) are still valid and can be used in conjunction with a proxy licensed by the Virtual Edition client.

Your Client Connections/100 licenses do not automatically become Virtual Edition Client Connection licenses (I don't suspect you have 500+ proxies?). Clients connections are still client connections and can be used for physical hosts, or for individually licensing VMs for backup (as opposed to the ESX host).  The only time a client is going to be "grandfathered" into a Virtual Edition is if you have a VCB proxy currently using a standard client when you upgrade to 7.6 SP2.

And let me add if you're individually licensing VMs for backup (with Client Connections) and the VMs are also Dedicated Storage Nodes - nothing really needs to change for you - you can continue w/ this configuration even w/ 7.6 SP2.  I may not fully understand your config - but I hope this helps.

-Eric

92 Posts

July 15th, 2011 14:00

so, if we currently backup our VM's individually using direct backups and networker client licenses, and want to move to VADP backups when we upgrade to 7.6.2, what licenses would we need?

If we have to have different licenses, is there any kind of exchange program??

We have several hundred clients (445 client licenses), so if we decided to backup 100 of these clients using VADP, would we have to buy 100 virtual edition licneses?   That won't happen. 

Any clarifications would be appreciated. 

177 Posts

July 19th, 2011 10:00

Hi David,

If you move from in-guest backups to VADP backups, you'd just need one Virtual Edition license per backup proxy server.  If you decided to back up 100 clients through one proxy, you'd need one Virtual Edition license.  If you set up two proxies, two Virtual Edition licenses, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Eric

92 Posts

July 19th, 2011 10:00

Thank you, Eric.

David M. Browning Jr.

IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk

No Events found!