Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2016 07:00

Command Line to find if a file existed on any backups

We have a server that is backed up with networker. I am wondering if someone could help me with a command. I am basically looking to find out if a specific file existed on a specific server during a two month period of time older than our retention\browse times..  My latest (poor) attempt looked like

nsrinfo servername >e:\output.txt

Even if the report shows all files and I can search the txt output that is fine too.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you

2.4K Posts

February 17th, 2016 08:00

1. step       nsrinfo -v > cfi_file

2. step       findstr /I /C:" " cfi_file [> out_file]

As Bill already mentioned ...

if your save set is still on tape, it can be recovered as long as the volume has not been relabeled. You have the choice to either

- scan the save set and rebuild the CFI before you run a file restore

- recover the whole save set to new location and copy the file from there

- recover the directory/file if you know the absolute pathname

445 Posts

February 17th, 2016 08:00

Ttobey,

Nsrinfo looks in the Client File Index which contains entries from browsable savesets. In your information you stated that the backups are 2 months older then browse retention periods you wish to look at so nsrinfo is of no use currently.

There is a KB article which tells you how to scan back in and make browsable again savesets which are passed their retention/browse period if you still have the backup available (i.e. you are not using disk/ddboost targets as data would be deleted from these locations when recyclable), if you do you should follow this and then run your nsrinfo command, if not there is no way to get the detail of backups

Bill Mason

32 Posts

February 17th, 2016 11:00

This did the trick, Thanks so very much!

No Events found!