Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2010 03:00

Completely delete a client

Hello

I have a couple of clients that i need to destroy. That means removing everything from networker relevant to this client. Indexes, client IDs, etc.

There are also a couple of clients that have been deleted from networker console, but their indexes and probably their client ids are still registered somewhere in networker. I need to remove these as well.

So how do i do this? I do not want to encounter a problem with duplicate client ids in the future if i ever needed to add those same clients again.

123 Posts

You need to delete the indexes, client id etc manually. You wont be able to delete the client id unless all the realted backup for this client is removed (expired) from mm.

Regards,

Arun

25 Posts

you will need to make sure first no saveset exist in mediaDB for this client

use mminfo -avot -q client=clientname to check

21 Posts

Hello Otern

If you still having issues trying to remove a client from NW server, you need to use nsradmin to complete delete it.

Best regards

David Pravia | Senior Networker Support | EMEA, Mon-Fri 08:00 - 16:30 GST

4 Posts

Hi,

I believe you should remove the client index directory manually after deleting the client in networker (either through Management Console or nsradmin), the client directory is normally located in /index/ unless overridden in the client config (index path).

It is properbly also wise  to remove the location/directory where networker was installed on the client after uninstalling the client.

Regards,

René

5 Posts

July 28th, 2010 04:00

Ok

So what would be the quickest and most effective way to delete all savesets, etc for a client?

If all those old backups are deleted then the client ID will cease to excist?

21 Posts

July 28th, 2010 04:00

Hello Otern

You dont need to delete old backups in order to remove a client. If you have done that it is fine as removing those backups will free up space in your filesystem.

You only have to delete the client in NMC, if you cant do that then it would be the time to remove it using nsradmin

Many thanks

David Pravia | Senior Networker Support | EMEA, Mon-Fri 08:00 - 16:30 GST

16 Posts

July 28th, 2010 07:00

Also you can hash out the IP address in host-files in Networker server if the client is going get decommissioned.

88 Posts

July 28th, 2010 08:00

Hello otern,

Seems you have received some really good information here. 

In a nutshell a streamlined 10 step process have I have found to be successfull in deleting clients from NW is described below:

1. Perform a full bootstrap backup  (if the NW Server is in the groupname TEST then a command line backup would be savegrp -l full -O -G TEST    . Please ensure to record the ssid for that full bootstrap backup for future uses)

2. On the client stop nsr services (nsrexecd) . If the client will no longer be backed up by NW, you may consider uninstalling the binary or (on Windows Clients) just changing the Service startup to Manual or Disabled.

- On NW Server

3. delete the client in NMC
4. stop nsr services

5. delete the client's index folder (install_dir\nsr\index\client_name)

6. clear the cache by renaming \nsr\tmp\ folder to \nsr\tmp_old_todaysdate

7. start nsr services

8. temporarily set the Autostart function on all Groups to Disabled (it is best to perform the following when NW is idle)

9. run the following commands to verify, fix and purge the index and mdb records

nsrck -L6

nsrim -X

10. set the Autostart function on groups that was changed in step 8 back to Enabled.

It is my experience that the abovementioned process helps to prevent the possibility of corruption and conflicts after a client removal.

Hope this helps in your environment.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

August 19th, 2010 03:00

otern wrote:

Ok

So what would be the quickest and most effective way to delete all savesets, etc for a client?

If all those old backups are deleted then the client ID will cease to excist?

I would do following (assuming data from this client is no longer required):

- mminfo -avot -q client= -r ssid > ssid.lst

- for ssid in `cat ssid.lst`;do nsrmm -dy -S $ssid;done

Now you removed all ssids from mdb.  At this point you can delete client from NMC.

Last, go to /nsr/index and remove index file.

Data itself is still present on tape (which has been backed up previously) , but NW is not aware of it any longer.

52 Posts

August 26th, 2010 07:00

delete client and corresponding savesets once and for all howto

If name resolution for client isn't possible anymore create a dummy entry in /etc/hosts on networker server.
If client has been deleted via NMC create it once again.

AA=hostname of Networker client to be deleted

execute on Networker server:

for xxx in `mminfo -av -r "ssid(53)" -c AA`; do nsrmm -d -S $xxx -y; echo $xxx; done

nsrck -YR AA
rm -r /nsr/index/AA
nsrim -c AA -X

after that delete client in NMC

if you have used software administration feature and clients is still in inventory list execute this:

nsradmin -d /nsr/res/cpdb
print name: AA
nsradmin> delete
(answer with yes for each confirmation)
nsradmin> quit

Best regards,

Otmanix

2K Posts

August 26th, 2010 07:00

The fastest is deleting from NMC and the most reliable is to delete using nsradmin.

September 8th, 2010 13:00

Hello,

You can also refer   to following   below link which is  KB article related to completely deleting   client from networker .

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg115345&usertype=C

52 Posts

February 24th, 2011 07:00

here's a script for deleting a networker client:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Which Networker client shall be deleted? "
read CLIENT
echo "Do you really want to delete client " $CLIENT " incl. all savesets? y/n"
read KEY
if [ "$KEY" == "y" -o "$KEY" == "Y" ] ; then
echo "delete savesets..."
for xxx in `mminfo -av -r "ssid(53)" -c $CLIENT`; do nsrmm -d -S $xxx -y ; echo $xxx; done
echo "delete client index..."
nsrck -YR $CLIENT
rm -r /nsr/index/$CLIENT
echo "cleanup mediadatabase..."
nsrim -c $CLIENT -X
echo "delete client..."
echo "delete type: NSR client; name: $CLIENT;" | nsradmin -i -
echo "delete client from software repository..."
echo "delete type: NSR Installed Software; name: $CLIENT;" | nsradmin -d /nsr/res/cpdb -i -
else
echo "job aborted!"
fi

Let’s test it with client testpc…
root@backup1 # ./delnwclient.sh
Which Networker client shall be deleted?
testpc
Do you really want to delete client testpc incl. all savesets? y/n
y
cb9adc51-00000006-bb38a2d0-4d38a2d0-b6460014-4f222e18
859b11e9-00000006-cc39f43e-4d39f43e-bf350014-4f222e18
delete client index...
9503:nsrck: WARNING: -R will completely remove the following file indices:
testpc
If it was not your intent to completely remove the above
client file indices, kill this command now.  You have 6 seconds.
client file indices, kill this command now.  You have 4 seconds.
client file indices, kill this command now.  You have 2 seconds.
cleanup mediadatabase...
000001:  767 GB used,    35 save sets, full, 30 browsable save sets, 5 recoverable save sets
000002:  592 GB used,    34 save sets, full, 17 browsable save sets, 17 recoverable save sets
delete client...
deleted resource id 26.6.2.57.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.71.56.81.247.10.17.18.145(16)
delete client from software repository...
deleted resource id 0.84.112.54.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.72.59.214.64.10.17.18.145(4)
deleted resource id 0.85.112.54.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.72.59.214.64.10.17.18.145(4)
deleted resource id 0.86.112.54.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.72.59.214.64.10.17.18.145(4)

1 Message

September 4th, 2013 03:00

hi

i have a situation where i want to delete index files but keep them on tape back. How can i reuse them in case i need them in the future.

Regards

52 Posts

September 4th, 2013 04:00

man scanner

>>

scanner [ options ] -i [ -S ssid ] [ -c client ] [ -N name ] [ -y retention time ] device

-i Rebuilds  both  the  media  and  the online file indexes from the volumes read.  If you specify a single save set with the -S ssid
          option, only entries for the specified save set are copied to the online file index.  Note that for version 6.0 and later, if  you
          have the tape that contain the index backups that go along with the data backups, the recommended way of restoring your indexes is
          to run scanner -m to reload the media database entries for the index and data backups.  Once that is done, you  should  run  nsrck
          -L7  -t date to recover the index for the client as of the time of the backups on the tape.  This will roll the index
          entries for that time back into the index.  However, if you have tapes for which there are no index backups, then you will need to
          use the -i option to reconstruct the index entries.
          Note:
          For  NDMP  save  sets  or  DSA save sets, this option does not reconstruct the index entries from the volume. However, if you have
          index backups, use scanner and nsrck as said above. For volumes that have a combination of DSA save  sets  and  regular  NetWorker
          save sets, scanner -i will skip over the DSA save sets with an error.
No Events found!