Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2012 00:00

Custom directive

Hello,

I understand out of the box NetWorker provides directives for encryption (aes) or compression (compressasm). I am interested in knowing if possible customers can develop their own custom directive to do their own type of data massage so that they can have both encryption of the compressed data.

Thanks in advance.

September 21st, 2012 01:00

Hi Raymond,

Yes, you can develop your own directives and use them with your Networker backup environoment.

Both compression and password-protection cannot be selected together. Hence when you create your own directive you have to take this into consideration.

You can refer Networker admin guide : sections :

• Encrypting backup data
  • Compressing backup data
  • Directives overview

This will give you more information about the directives and the data encryption

Thank you

ShivaKiran

September 21st, 2012 02:00

Hello, ShivaKiran,

Do you know where I can get access to the SDKs for Networker directives? We actually have our own compression and encoding algorithms we wanted to implement by ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

September 21st, 2012 02:00

Hi Raymond,

If you are speaking about the sample scripts which can be used as directives, then we do not have sample scripts with us as we donot have create any custom scripts and use the default directives which are enabled with NW package. You have to develop your own scripts and make sure they meet some requirements as mentioned in the admin guide.

Thank you

ShivaKiran

September 21st, 2012 03:00

Well, I guess I did not make it clear. Rather than using built-in directives like 'aes' or 'compressasm' we actually would want to develop our own asm, probably from the ground up and unsure if it is do'able.

Thanks in advance.

14.3K Posts

September 21st, 2012 16:00

You can't build own encryption asm. With compressasm in nw8 EMC added support for gzip and bzip2 and for encryption you can use aes (if you use encryption you should not use compression). If you wish to use encryption outside NW, then either this is done at backup target level or network level and as such it is handled outside backup application.

21 Posts

May 8th, 2013 14:00

When you say "if you use encryption you should not use compression", where does this come from?

I remembered the same thing, but can't find it documented in the NetWorker 7.6.3 admin guide; it notes to not use compression and PW2, but that is not the same as compression and AES.

Thanks,

Dave

14.3K Posts

May 8th, 2013 23:00

Encryption will give you unique signature and as such there won't be much to compress. Of course, you could turn the table and compress first and then encrypt, but result would be virtually the same as with only encryption.

21 Posts

May 9th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

I was thinking exactly that--compress then encrypt. That is what happens if you use LTO drive encryption.

My question was more tailored towards what if officially supported--the admin docs say "no compression and pw", but they don't say anything about "no compression and aes."

So I was looking for whether your info was from an official doc, or just a logical statement.

Thanks for the reply!

Dave

253 Posts

May 14th, 2013 05:00

I think I have tried every way of using compression and encryption together in Networker, including making my own directive and none worked with any significant compression. I eventually decided to just encrypt with Networker and let the hardware do the compression.

14.3K Posts

May 20th, 2013 23:00

Larry Alexis wrote:

I think I have tried every way of using compression and encryption together in Networker, including making my own directive and none worked with any significant compression. I eventually decided to just encrypt with Networker and let the hardware do the compression.

In never versions you can use gzip - if that one doesn't compress, perhaps you are trying to compress something which simply does not compress well?  Of course, if using HW compression, forget about client side one.

No Events found!