Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2015 05:00

DB2 transaction log backup

Hi folks,

a while ago I started a discussion about DB2 transaction log backup with NMDA, here: DB2 transaction log backup with NMDA. I didn't get much response, so I'm gonna ask again.

I have a DB2 instance with multiple databases. Online backup of all instances runs fine. But I wanna backup the transaction logs every few hours and delete them afterwards. The NMDA documentation offers 1 1/2 pages about this (p.116-117).

If I configure the backup like described, I get multiple messages that parameters are not set in the NMDA config file. I insert them one after one and in the end it won't run either:

64673:nsrdasv: Unable to backup database due to backup request failure, SQLCODE : -1035, SQL1035N  The operation failed because the specified database cannot be

connected to in the mode requested.

Which is just some random message because online backup runs fine.

I'm asking myself: Is it possible to backup up just the transaction logs with NMDA and delete them afterwards (like RMAN and oracle does it for years)?

Cheers

Jan

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

You could have simply replied to existing thread instead of creating new one

According to IBM

This message can also be returned in the following types of scenarios:

• The maximum number of connections to the database has been reached.
  • Exclusive use was requested but the database is already in use in exclusive mode by a different user.
  • The database has been activated explicitly (shared access), preventing the operation from establishing an exclusive connection to it.

In a pureScale environment, this message can be returned when the following series of events occur:

1. An offline operation, such as backup, restore, or rollforward, was initiated for the database and the operation acquired an exclusive connection to the database.
  2. The member on which that offline operation was initiated failed (because of a hardware or software failure, for example) and the exclusive connection that was held by the offline operation was not released.
  3. The member on which that offline operation was initiated failed to restart automatically.

User response

Perform the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Identify which user applications or system applications have open connections to the database by using the LIST APPLICATIONS command with the SHOW DETAIL parameter and the GLOBAL parameter.
  2. Wait for those applications that have open connections to close their connections to the database.
  3. Terminate any remaining connections to the database using the following commands or statements:
    • QUIESCE DATABASE command
    • CONNECT RESET statement
    • FORCE APPLICATION ALL command
    • DEACTIVATE DATABASE command
  4. In a DB2 pureScale environment restart any member that was shut down while an offline operation was taking place.
  5. Connect again.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Also check you don't run circular logging.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 27th, 2015 06:00

I believe that is all supported via db2 command.  For some options, see dBforums – Everything on Databases, Design, Developers and Administrators (third response, by Marcus_A, explains it).

161 Posts

January 27th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the lecture .

I don't trust the failure message but that's not what I'm after.

I need to know if it's possible to do transaction log backup with automatic deletion of the logs with NMDA? Or do I need to script something to make it work.

I need a solution similar to oracle with RMAN.

116 Posts

January 27th, 2015 23:00

Hello!

I don't know how to set up db2 log backup similar to rman (time based archlog schedule), we configured LOGARCHMETH1 & LOGARCHOPT1 DB2 parameters and now DB2 backups it's logs "when he wants".

It's important to have a short path in the logarchopt1 (nmda config file) because if it's longer than ~50 chars the backup may fail.

I'm not a db2 admin, but I belive it's possible to use a db2 command to force that backup any time you want.

No Events found!