Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2018 00:00

Disaster Recovery

We have networker 9.1.1.5 and backups of different clients are configured to EMC Data Domain 2200. Backups are residing on single Mtree. Next we have configured MTree replication to another DD which is on DR site. single Mtree is replicated to DR on single Mtree. Bootstrap and CFI backups are also residing on same Mtree.
Now we want to restore data from DR DD for test purpose. As it would be Disaster recovery so we have to install same name IP and same OS and Networker version server on that site? Next we will change the browse and retention policies of that server. Next we will add Data domain to Networker and pointing to same MTree but will not label and mount the device. I have some queries in this.

1. IP address should be same as of primary Networker?

2. How to change browse and Retention policy of newly installed networker on DR site before performing disaster recovery?

3. As on DR Data domain hostname is different from that of PR DD. Do i have to change DR DD hostname and set same as of PR DD for proper disaster recovery?

4. Can i restore NDMP backups to local drive of newly installed server?

Regards

Nabeel

2.4K Posts

September 11th, 2018 04:00

To answer your questions ...

1. IP address should be same as of primary Networker?

No - this is most likely not possible in the field. Especially not on a fully routed server

2. How to change browse and Retention policy of newly installed networker on DR site before performing disaster recovery?

Browse policy with NW 9.1? - it disappeared with NW 9.0

Retention policy? - it will be recovered with the resources as part of the DR process. 

3. As on DR Data domain hostname is different from that of PR DD. Do i have to change DR DD hostname and set same as of PR DD for proper disaster recovery?

I don't think so. Just configure the new devices names correctly.

NW will rely on the volume name (the volume id), not the device name.

4. Can i restore NDMP backups to local drive of newly installed server?

No. NDMP backup can only be recovered to NDMP clients.

I think it would be possible for NDMP backups using the DSA method. But even if my technical assumption would

be true such will be suppressed by NW itself. Otherwise you will not be able to recover the metadata properly and

bypass the owner's rights etc. Such will be prevented.

And do not forget your licenses ...

However NW will work for a while to give you time to apply for new ones.

12 Posts

September 11th, 2018 05:00

Thanks for the reply.

We will be performing test Disaster Recovery so i am thinking to create private networke between DD, Networker Server and my personel Laptop and run the recovery.

For this query

As on DR Data domain hostname is different from that of PR DD. Do i have to change DR DD hostname and set same as of PR DD for proper disaster recovery?

I don't think so. Just configure the new devices names correctly.

NW will rely on the volume name (the volume id), not the device name.

I have tried and checked when nsrdr command is run and bootstrap and CFIs are recovered device name change. Forexample before running command device name was "DR_DD" and DD name on PR was "PR_DD". After nsrdr run name changed from DR_DD to PR_DD. so i think name should be changed to same as of Primary DD.

What is DSA method.

2.4K Posts

September 11th, 2018 09:00

It depends how you replicate/clone. If done by NW, he knows about the device at the remote location.

So once you have defined the device (just leave the name as is, even if it is used locally now), NW should be able to access it.

----------------------------------

What is DSA method?

DSA is short for 'Data Service Agent'.

This is a kind of 'wrapper' which encapsulates the NDMP data into NetWorker's OTF (open-tape-format) which NW uses by default. By doing so, the save set will be 'converted' to a standard save set which has a lot of advantages:

-  Backup to a non-NDMP device

-  Cloning the save sets as usual (no NDMP specific clone process)

-  Multiple streams

just to name some major benefits. You activate DSA by adding the switch '-m' to the nsrndmp_save command.

12 Posts

September 11th, 2018 21:00

Thanks for the reply.

We have not involved Networker in Replication and NW does not know about DR DD. So i think we will have to change the DD name too on DR same as that of PR DD.

Currently we are taking NDMP backup via NW to DD. As DD is non NDMP device so currently NDMP backups are being backedup to Non NDMP Device(DD Boost device). In this case will we be able to restore those NDMP backups to local drive of server?

No Events found!