Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2008 08:00

Discover New Devices

Networker 7.4 Running on Solaris 10
Trying to write backups to SAN mounts instead of tape, but Networker cannot find new devices using the scan for devices in the mgmt gui

Is there a module required to use disks instead of tape ?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 11th, 2008 01:00

Scan for devices is used for tape devices only (and libraries/silos/VTLs). Disk device is always defined manually. You need to have disk backup option license to use it.

12 Posts

June 11th, 2008 16:00

I got it.

The Networker documentation is excessively verbose without saying anything most of the time. The device section is 30 pages and never mentions how to add a new device other than to scan and even then it does not mention that it only applies to tape. 800+ page pdf of annoying verbosity!

Thanks for your help

16 Posts

August 26th, 2008 13:00

It is done when you add or create a device from the gui and for device path give the absolute path to the dir_name that you want to use for the DBO and select the advance or standard file type device depending on your desire and use a block_size 256kn or >
this is all you have to do to create disk based devices

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

August 27th, 2008 12:00

Why do you believe for disk bs of 256 or more would be good?

42 Posts

September 9th, 2008 09:00

Hi GPX,

It is good to have backup on the SAN that is right But i think you need to check the restore also from the SAN Disc to On of the client server .I think some time it will give the error "Can't Recover the Secure Data to different System Files"

Please also reply Backto me if it will work
Thanks
No Events found!