Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2011 10:00

Exchange 2010 DAG Active/Passive Fail-over?

I have an Exchange 2010 DAG successfuly backing up.

DAG:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE-vss
NSR_ALT_PATH=C:\NetworkerMount

Client #1:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=active

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=DAG01.my.corp

Client #2:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=passive

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=DAG01.my.corp

What happens if the DAG fails over to Client #2 and now the active/passive states have reversed?

I need to ensure that backups complete should this occur.

December 15th, 2011 01:00

Hello Chris,

First of all I was wondering how come backup is working fine as that configuration is wrong, let me explain you why:

If you set node1 to backup active, means that node2, which has set passive, will try to backup the same DB's as node1, so in that case backup will fail.

I suppose you don't have one of the nodes to be running the backup (Scheduled), so please clarify.

Now, in answer to your question I would suggest you to backup only one of the DAG nodes and set NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=all, and run the backup only against that node, so in that case, no matter what is the status of the DB's, that node will be backing up all the DB's, including Public Folders.

In fact, my suggestion would be to backup the node hosting the PF's.

Thank you.

Carlos.

December 15th, 2011 12:00

I did fail to indicate there was a group that contained the DAG and Client 1 and the other group the only had Client 2.  Not being an Exchange admin I just fulfiled the requirement of having backups complete of both clients.  I couldn't derive a what a proper configuration would be from the NMM docs so I just guessed.

This morning I was able to get some clarification from the Exchange admin  that only backing up one of the clients would be acceptible.

Your solution above does clear some conceptual issues for me and will try that config tonight.

Thank you for the push in the right direction.

1.7K Posts

December 20th, 2011 21:00

Hi Chris,

So is your problem fixed now? Are you able to successfully backup your Exchange 2010 Environment?

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!