Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2012 23:00

File index could not be obtained due to

Hi,

Good day.

Anybody here already encountered below error message in networker backup.

* servername:D:\ 67505:save: D:\: File index could not be obtained due to .  Contents of this directory may not be properly backed up.  See save man page (Command Reference Guide) for more information.

* servername:D:\

* servername:D:\ 76677:save: Can't encode arguments

* servername:D:\ 90019:save: save of 'D:\' to server 'networkerserver' failed.

* servername:D:\ D:\: File index could not be obtained due to .  Contents of this directory may not be properly backed up.  See save man page (Command Reference Guide) for more information.

Can you share with me on how you fix it? Client is using Networker 8.0

Thanks in advance for those who will respond on this question

Regards,

Renato

22 Posts

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Problem was finally resolved (we open SR with EMC). The issue is due to missing files.

1.The registry still point to the file, while the file does not exist in the folder. You need to find out the location of that file and create the same with 0 byte you can search the registry for this missing file.

After we create a 0 KB file, vss backup works fine.

Thanks for the support again.

544 Posts

October 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi Renato,

Is this issue occurs only with the D:\ drive ? What about other drives backup like C:\ ? is it the same issue as well ?

The client networker version is 8.0 , What about the backup server version ?

As per the man pages for the save.exe , this error means that there was an error in retrieving an on-line file index record for the path with renamed directory support. Run nsrck -L6 clientname for that client and turn off the "Backup renamed directories" attribute in Client resource (Under the General Tab of the client resource) to re-run the group if the problem persists.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed Bahaa

22 Posts

October 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi Ahmed,

Actually I already did those procedure indicated in the command refence guide. To run nsrck then turn-off "Backup renamed directories".

Backup is failing for D: drive only. I tried to run the backup for C: and it was successful.

Networker server version is the same as client. Networker version 8.0

Any idea?

Thank you very much.

Renato

544 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hi Renato,

What is Windows version you are trying to backup, and Networker 8.0 is installed on server and client ?

Would you please specify the D:\ in the client saveset , only the D:\ , and from the backup server command line run the following command :

savegrp -D9 -c clientname -l full -G groupname

just change the clientname and groupname with the actual names and provide us the output. i have some doubts it is timeout issue but we need to check.

Waiting your updates.

Ahmed Bahaa

22 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hi Ahmed,

Please see attached for the output of backup in debug mode.

Thanks,

Renato

1 Attachment

14.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

Your debug seems to indicate that you have backup renamed directories enabled.  If this one is off, does it work then? It looks as if error is generated by either save command or renamed directory save management.

544 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the log, I checked it and I found the command that NetWorker runs to backup is:

save -a "\"ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes\"" -s qisrnetworker.nca.local -g Test_Backup -LL -m qisret02 -a "device interface=data domain" -t 1350115881 -o "\"RENAMED_DIRECTORIES:index_lookup=on;BACKUPTIME:lookup_range=1350115881:1350115881;\"" -l incr -q -W 78 -N "D:\\" "D:\\"

So as i highlighted the "RENAMED_DIRECTORIES:index_lookup=on" which means that the "Backup renamed directories" attribute in Client resource is Enabled, as if it is disabled, it should be like "RENAMED_DIRECTORIES:index_lookup=off" in the command.

Please double check again that option and ensure it is turned off, and from the client side, stop the NetWorker Services and rename the tmp directory under the /nsr , rename it to tmp.old and start the NetWorker services again. Afterwards run the backup ( In Level Full not Incremental) by the below command :

savegrp -D9 -c qisret02-l full -G Test_Backup

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

22 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 17:00

Hi Ahmed/Hrvoje,

Looks like i get and upload the wrong log. This log is the original one where still I didn't run the nsrck and uncheck the "Backup rename directories".

The other log i think was not able to copy it to my USB. My problem is we are already in vacation and I don't have any remote access on this server. We will back to work on November 3 and I will respond to you and the same day also.

I really appreciate your response to my question. This forum is really a big help.

Eid Mubarak.

Thanks,

Renato

22 Posts

November 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi Ahmed,

I tried it again today to run the following:

1. Run nsrck –L6
  2. Uncheck “Backup Rename Directories” in client configuration
  3. Run the backup in debug mode

Issue still exist. I have this kind of issue in 2 server. The only diffrence of this 2 server is that they are not added in the domain.

Thanks for the help again.

Regards,

Renato

1 Attachment

14.3K Posts

November 4th, 2012 12:00

Can you try following:

a) do same backup, but this time without specifying Data Domain as interface

b) set parallelism to 1

c) disallow DISASTER RECOVERY saveset

22 Posts

November 8th, 2012 03:00

Hi Hrvoje,

Good day.
We did below test scenario.

Test Scenario 1:
We backup C:\ and D:\ only (Saveset: C:\ and D:\)
We uncheck "Client Direct Access"

Result: Backup was successful
Debug Filename: qisret01_06Nov_test_scenario1.txt

Test Scenario 2:
We backup all saveset excluding Disaster Recovery
We Uncheck "Client Direct Access"

Result: C:\ and D:\ was successful but all VSS Saveset was failed.
Debug Filename: qisret01_06Novt_testscenario2.txt

Test Scenario 3:
We backup all saveset excluding Disaster Recovery
We Uncheck "Client Direct Access"
We uncheck "Data Domain Backup"
We set client parallelism to 1

Result: C:\ and D:\ was successful but all VSS Saveset was failed.
Debug Filename: qisret01_7Nov_test_scenario3.txt

All VSS writers was stable and has no error in it.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Renato

4 Attachments

1.7K Posts

November 8th, 2012 05:00

Hi Renato,

So I understand that only the VSS savesets are failing. Correct?

Have you checked the /nsr/tmp/sg/group_name/sso files?

Have you checked the Application and System event logs on the client to see if there is any VSS, volsnap or similar failure?

There is a known Windows limitation when attempting to open a file or folder that has a trailing space or dot "." in its name, however this looks to me as if it was trying to backup a snapshot previously created:

cannot opendir "." (\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy79\pfexch2010\): No such file or directory

Can you run vssadmin list shadows, ensure that the output of that command is as follows:

C:\>vssadmin list shadows

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

No items found that satisfy the query.

And then run a new backup?

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi Renato,

Sorry this took that long to be resolved, but if you only had mentioned 0x80070002 (file not found) then we would have pointed you straight away to the solution, as this is a very well known VSS limitation.

The workaround provided by EMC is as follows. Instead of creating summy files (okb files with the missing file name in the missing file path), just use one of the following commands, depending if you are using NW client or NMM.

If using NW client, you should use this backup command:

save -a '"ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes"'

For NMM clients use the normal backup command (nsrsnap_vss_save), but add this into the Application Information field of the client:

NSR_IGNORE_MISSING_SYSTEM_FILES=yes

My advice is for you to use the backup command suggested, as in some cases you can find tens of missing files, and with the command you won't have to worry anymore about creating dummy files.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!