Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2010 22:00

How to specify different storage node for one client in two groups?

Hello,

I have a problem in my environment.

I'm using VCB to backup some client and this client have also another configuration as file level backup for some directories.

What I want to have is to run file level and VCB on a different storage nodes.

Is there any possibility to configure one client in a two different groups to run on specified storage node?

SN definition is in globals section which is inherited.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

116 Posts

October 21st, 2010 04:00

Hi,

I don't try yet, but if you put in backup command save -J storage_node works?

Regards,
Luis Rogerio

445 Posts

October 21st, 2010 03:00

I think the easiest way to achieve this is to have a different pool linked to the devices on the second storage node.  You can then have both storage nodes listed within the storage node field, but when say VCB backup starts it is directed to the pool linked to the second storage nodes devices.  NetWorker should be able to work this out and direct the backup to the other second storage node.  One caveat is that the devices on the other storage node will be limited to only taking backups to this pool on the devices whch you link.

hope that helps,

Regards,

Bill Mason.

244 Posts

October 21st, 2010 03:00

Well, I think you should try to do something like this (I haven't done this before, but I think it can work):

1. put two different names in a /etc/hosts file (or in any other place: DNS ....) for two different IP addresses (one of it can be virtual if you don't have two NICs) for the same host

2. define two different clients in the NW configuration (do not put aliases in the configuration for the second name respectively)

3. define different SN for those two "different" clients.

4 Posts

I have just test it and it works.

When I put save -J "storagenode" as backup command in Apps & Modules client section it works perfect.

Thank you.

4 Posts

Yes It can be done that way but in my case it is a little bit more complicated, because I have more then a hundred VCB clients

connected to three different VCB proxy serves/storage nodes and many retention policies.

So it will be difficult to controll all new pools.

I thouhgt that there might be some parameter that can be used in apps&modules section which is not inherited by several client copies.

I tried to find something in documentation but without success...

Thank you for all your effort.

No Events found!