Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2018 15:00

Max number of clients in DataZone

Hi,

In the Networker9.2 Performance guide it states that the max clients for a large configuration is 2000. Is this 2000 unique clients or 2000 clients configured in backup jobs.

For example, if I have a client configured in group 1 to backup the C drive and the same client configured in group 2 to back up the E drive is this counted as 1 or 2 clients?

Thanks in advance.

2.4K Posts

August 10th, 2018 06:00

This is not so straight to answer.

In general there is no limitation but of course the number of parallel save streams/task/action matters.

So the configuration especially matters once you start all clients at the same time.

With respect to the configuration you can have multiple client configuration but they will all only use 1 license because the will all fill the same client file index directory. This is more a licensing issue.

"For example, if I have a client configured in group 1 to backup the C drive and the same client configured in group 2 to back up the E drive is this counted as 1 or 2 clients?".

It is just counted as 1 client (license)

But it will at least create 2 concurrent streams you start their configuration/backup at the same time.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 04:00

This is recommended value of client definitions not to pass as after that your server might becomes kind of busy.  In my case it was between 500 where many servers had DBs (some multiple ones) so single client definition would have at minumum 3 client definitions (filesystem, DB and archive log backup).  At the end of the day, it depends quite fairly about how much you can spread your log.  Imagine you have 600 DBs and run archive logs every 1h... that is 10 DBs saving archive logs every 1 minutes... add to that DB backup and file system backups and balancing might become challenge - especially if you have time constrains for filesystem and DB backup times.  So, it works, it is not hardcoded, but from performance point of view - it is not recommended as you will surely hit some performance degradation at some point due to physical limits.

25 Posts

August 29th, 2018 07:00

Thanks all for you time in replying, your information is helpful.

No Events found!